Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
'67 250SL, '87 300SDL
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, after looking forever for a replacement for the cloudy rear window of my SDL at the local JYs (and breaking one trying to remove it :(), I finally pulled a really nice one last weekend. Now all that's left is to install it.
(I replaced a W123 front windshield myself some 25 years ago and it wasn't too bad but that was with my brother and dad around to help...)

So I decided to have one of the local glass guys do it for me; they estimated about 2 - 3h and $150 for the job. Not necessarily cheap but if they do it right I'd be OK with it. The only question left is whether I should also replace the seal or not. Initially I was planning to ($144 at the local MB stealer) but the glass folks would prefer to reuse the old one since it seems to be in good shape (according to them) and a new seal apparently increases their labor cost due to removing and reinstalling the aluminum trim. They also raised some concerns about bending the trim when installing it into a new seal, which didn't exactly give me the warm and fuzzy either.

So, is the trim a real issue? When I pulled the glass at the JY I removed the trim, just to see how hard it is to get it off without bending it. It actually wasn't a problem at all but I can't speak for installing it with a new seal.

Thoughts?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
i'd replace the seal. $144 seems steep. i'd make sure they are a good shop too. i had my windshield replaced on a '94 firebird, it was $400 and they did a terrible job. the windshield has shifted down towards the hood. thank god it's a POS, but a v8 with 206k on it! i feel like i have a record breaking pontiac v8 in my garage:D to bad they're out of business i could be on a commercial:cool:

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
14,132 Posts
The seals do cost that much. If it were me i'd want a new seal too really as thats the cause of cloudiness in the first place.

·
Registered
W126 500 SEL 9/85 W124 E320T Brabus
2,074 Posts
+1

First put the seal on the glass and then fix the chrome trim into the seal. This way it won´t be bent.

·
Registered
'67 250SL, '87 300SDL
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys...

Hmm, interesting, I just picked up my C2S from the independent guy that does all the work on my cars that I don't (want to) do myself... Asked him for a recommendation on a good glass guy. He came up with 2 shops; so I called one of them and same answer: reuse the old seal.

Still leaning towards replacement though, just not in the mood to have this done twice in case the old one is bad.

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
14,132 Posts
I had a front windscreen seal reused on my little Citroen and it leaked like a sieve after. Absolutely poured in, had to put in loads of sealant. Different kind of car tho.

·
Registered
w201,w124,w126
2,318 Posts
I've got to replace both the front and rear screen :(

The front has a small chip and the rear's defrost element is burnt out. And we don't have JYs for this stuff.

·
Premium Member
1986 420SEL/1995 E300D/4 BMW’s/2 Vanagon’s
1,026 Posts
Maybe this ship has already sailed for you but don't count yourself and a buddy out to do this job. I have never replaced a window before period and by searching and reading this forum, I was able to get it done in a few hours on a Saturday morning. Has been perfect since. Here is a link to my post. Not a lot of tips or anything, but some pics of the process.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w126-s-se-sec-sel-sd/1529858-rear-window-replacement.html

I put the trim back into the channel on the seal before I put the window back in. All in all, the job was a challenge but by no means difficult. My buddy had never done this before either. Maybe I just got lucky. I just took my time, was very careful about not exerting too much pressure against the glass, and just roped it in. Good luck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts