Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my 06 R350 has only 5K left on the original warranty and I need to decide if i want to get an extended warranty. Most of the extended warranties i have seen for a Benz are quite high -2.5 to 3K. My thought is i probably should consider it as i think a major repair on the R would be costly - ie the transmission went bad or another major problem. Any thoughts on that? Also does MB sell an extended warranty to folks after the fact? I bought my R used from a non MB dealer.

·
Registered
2006 R3504M, 2007 E3504M
412 Posts
You should go to the dealer and see what they offer. I believe you can purchase the extended warranties before the basic one expires. Mercedes will offer SCW, Star Certified Warranty, and ELW, Extended Limited Warranty. As you said, you need only one major repair to pay back the warranty. I think the SCW is pretty thin. The ELW adds 2 years which are very close to the basic warranty, plus 1 year equivalent to the SCW.

I believe that if you haven't had a major repair after 7 years of warranty, then you will not have any problem other than normal maintenance. So if you aim at long term, I suggest the ELW. As a reference, I dealt the ELW to 1850CAD at the time I purchased my CPO R350. Notice that the car was already coming with SCW, so this is the delta cost.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts