Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2001 E320 4Matic
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can i get some diy stickies on how to change rotors/pads and what tools i need? Also need some advise on which pads /rotors to purchase. thanks.
01 e320 4matic 107k

·
Registered
1999 E55, 2001 E320, 1990 560 SEC, 2004 ML350, 2001 ML55, 1995 S500, 1998 SL500, 2010 E550 Sport zoo
7,035 Posts
On the parts/replacement: if you went into your MB dealer they would use Zimmerman ZCost rotors and Textar pads which are repackaged as Genuine Mercedes parts. Both brands are available in the internet aftemarket from sources like autohausaz.com or parts.com.

You can also shop OE quality rotors (without the XCote which just protects during storage) from other noted available brands such as ATE or Balo. For semi-metallic pads there are several brands offering Thermo Quiet pads at atttractive prices that are a bit better on low dust than the Textar. Cheaper pads often give more dust.

On the higher end - there are web sources, especially eBay that offer zinc platted slotted rotors - actually they are a OK value. And there are several brands offering harder/less-dust ceramic pads like Akebono.

Replacement brake pad sensors are all the same sh*t - if you don't have a brake pad wear warning light you don't have to necessarily replace the sensors - but they are cheap.

Assemble your parts - and when the parts are all in you can search the DIY's here for procedure - or alternatively when you have the right parts all in you can choose a general brake/tire shop to do the work - nothing special/different about the job excet give them clear firm intruction to HAND TIGHTEN LUGS and HAND TORQUE the lugs only and NOT use a air tool. That's how lugs get stripped. With all the parts in the trunk the right shop can do the job well in less than 1 1/2 hrs real shop time.

Keep the beat !

·
Registered
1986 190E 16V Cosworth stuipdly SOLD 1999 E300 (daily driver)
232 Posts
I used ATE PremiumOne Slotted Rotor

Tirerack.com is one source.

I like Akebono Ceramic pads, great bite, almost no dust, fade resistant and easy on the rotors.

I have also used XBG Metal Master pads which like very much but they are dusty

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
Can i get some diy stickies on how to change rotors/pads and what tools i need? Also need some advise on which pads /rotors to purchase. thanks.
01 e320 4matic 107k
You can get a DIY if you will but look in the stickies. Basic tools are all that's needed. If you don't have torx sockets you'll need them.

If you don't mind the brake dust, stick with OE brakes; you will not improve on how they perform. Otherwise, use the search function. "What kind of pads and rotors should I buy?" is one of the most common themes here. Another thread on that topic won't add anything new. ;)

Good luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts