Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
current: 08 GL320 CDI, 05 ML 350, 98 E300, 84 300SD,
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK. I am almost at my wits with my newest project: 1993 190E 2.6L. 188k I received this car from my brother free not running obviously. It sat for 5yr with bag gas. I flushed the fuel, changed the filter; the old one had diarrhea it . I changed the plugs and cap/rotor and a set off wires. It started and idled perfectly. The cooling sys looks newer and the temp stays right on at 90C. When I drive it cold, it will run for about 15mi after the temp has reached 90 then act like it wants to die. Hurrily, I shift to neutral and let it catch up. So, Iam figuring this is with the CIS somehow. Just changed the o2 sensor which made it a little better. I think the OVP is original as well as the fuel pump relay. Also, the air adjuster is still the sealed unit and has not been changed
NOw, it will start and run fine till about 15 mi still and stall....mostly down hills and going around turns. My next plan would be to ck the fuel pressure at the f-distributor and knock out the ball and adjust the fuel mixture. Another problem I noted was at WOT; it missus and bucks. Note that both coolant sensors ck out per resistance values. I haven't checked the wot sw yet.
So my questions are: does anybody had/have these same symptoms and get a remedy? Could the ovp be doing this after running temperature? Funny, but it runs great..untill it get to run temp of 90C. When I got it barely home from work last week, it would stall but start right up and idle. Again, doing this after it warmed up. Anyone take a crack?:surrender:

·
Registered
98 SLK230K AMG, 98 E55T, 89 2.5-16
213 Posts
i once had a car which always stalled after it reached its normal operating temp. it turned out to be a bad ignition coil. i replaced it and no more stalling. i was told a bad coil stops sending current when it becomes hot, so when the car stalls, the ignition coil cools down and so you can start her right up again...

hope this helps.

regards,
Ray

·
Registered
'87--190E 2.3-16v(being rebuilt), '99--C230 Kompressor
3,488 Posts
have you read the EPIC stalling thread??? can't say much more then what is said in that

·
Registered
1993 190E 2.6, 1990 300SEL, 1992 300SE, 1992 400E, 1987 190E 2.6 murdered by my brother.
1,291 Posts
When it starts running like crap after it reaches 90C. Check for spark at each cylinder. Pull boot and use old spark plug that works and ground against the exhaust manifold. Crank and shut off for each cylinder. See if there is spark. If its weak it could be ignition coil, if there are none at all for all cylinders then its your EZL. Electronic ignition control module. Everything starts at EZL, goes to Ignition coil, then to the middle of the cap and rotor and then spark plug wires and then each cylinder.

My S class has the same thing. When it gets hot the car shuts off even on the freeway. Scary as well. Then you have to wait an hour for it to cool off before it will start. We changed everything. Then called my Mercedes mechanic and he said its either the Crankposition sensor, ignition coil, or EZL. Its the EZL.

For 190E's tho the EZL rarely goes bad so i would check the ignition coil.

·
Registered
current: 08 GL320 CDI, 05 ML 350, 98 E300, 84 300SD,
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just got back via Vegas

Well, I didn't win the 6.3 amg CLS at Mandalay Bay so I fugure I would have to start to relook at this thing again. Coil vs EZL sounds plausible. I think I got a couple of used units out in the barn. Will start the swap out game shortly. And thanks!

·
Registered
1984 190D 2.2
2,458 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts