Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello;

I am debating whether I should purchase a 97 C36 or 98+ C43... I heard that the C36 was a better handling car due to its lighter engine.. Is this true? Is the C36 a more frugal? (economically cheaper to maintain and own).

I would appreciate your feedback/comments.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2001 SLK 320 6MT
462 Posts
i would go with the C36, lighter better handles, plus its the first official mercedes AMG production

car...it may as well be valued higher at resale time becuase of its significance as the first production mercedes-AMG model. otherwise if you want more power go with the c43...however both great cars, hope to own one...one day

·
Registered
Mercedes C36
11 Posts
1997 C36 vs C43

I am thinking of trading up for either a '97 C36 or C43

a few things to consider:
outside exterior looks
V6 vs. V8

for some reason, sometimes i feel that the C36 more square aero kit looks better than the C43. But then at some angles, the C43 seems better. definitely, both cars need to be lowered. they both sit WAY TOO HIGH. so, you have to decide.

now, V6 vs V8. to be honest, the speed of both cars of pretty identical. maybe 1/10 or 2/10s of sec off....at most...on the highway, it'll be up to the driver. so, it comes down to which motor will feel better to you. i like the V8. i used to have the CLK430 as well and the V8 was awesome. but the V6 on my '95 C36 is still very enjoyable especially on the highway.

next, the $$

the C43 will be more expensive than a 1997 C36 and the '97 C36 is lot more rare to find.

those are the things to consider..

good luck

·
Registered
97 C36 AMG 98 C43
10 Posts
C36 or C43

I own a 97 C36 and my father owns a c43. I have spent quite a bit of time in both cars. First of all the c43 is actually lighter due to the aluminium engine. The 36 uses the old iron block. I think the 43 seems more solid, but the 36 feels more high strung with the high revving engine. I Prefer the feel of the 6cyl during hard driving and the torque during sedate driving around town.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts