Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
MB 170 SCB (1951)
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please,
Any of you who happen to know where can I read the Chassis No of a 170 SCB, 1951, will help me the most!.

You see, the VIN tag on the rear side of the engine bay has been very faint all those years and it is almost unreadable.

But this number must be also somewhere on the frame quoted.

I am also searching a MB archiving Registry, to enter this VIN No I have on my car licence and have some history of this specific car (e.g date of production, initial factory color, engine numbers etc, first buyer, etc...)

I would appreciate if someone could give me a strong hand of help.
Have a nice day,
putize.-

·
Registered
116 Posts
If you lift the hood, on the inner curved cowl piece, on the left side by the rim of the battery compartment, just in front of the a-pillar, the pertinent number should be stamped. It may be covered over in several layers of paint, but should still be marked in the metal under there. The numbers are typically large, about 10-12mm tall, and appearing tall/thin in style.

It may or may not be the same number as seen on the plate in the center-rear of the engine bay.

·
Registered
MB 170 SCB (1951)
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Palolo,
You have been a true help to me.
So, the number I am reading on the left door column on a steel plate, is the "Coach" Number eh? Not the "Chassis" one?
I look forward to your kind reply.
Warm Regards,
Konstantinos.-

Attachments

·
Registered
116 Posts
Thanks Palolo,
You have been a true help to me.
So, the number I am reading on the left door column on a steel plate, is the "Coach" Number eh? Not the "Chassis" one?
I look forward to your kind reply.
Warm Regards,
Konstantinos.-
That's a body shop tag, and the "1400259" may or may not match the chassis #. Sometimes they did, sometimes they didn't: This body was made by Mercedes, so chances are better that the body number and chassis number match or are close, but in other marques vintage cars, you'll commonly see body companies' tags (Karroserie/Carozzeria, etc) Notably Porsche 356s bodied by Karmann, 911s by either Karmann or Reutter or VW Beetle cabriolets also by Karmann, and the VW Karmann Ghia, bodied by the former and styled by the latter, but a "VW".

Back then, and certainly in pre-war Europe (this being essentially a pre-war car in many respects, due to the interruption of passenger car production), bodies could be changed after the car was built, and also the chassis going down the line may have been mated to a different body at the end than what was spec'ed at the start of production.

You can likely get more help from the folks at 170220.org: http://170220.org

Good luck, hope that helps. Post more pics of the car, too... Such a tease just a body tag. :)

Pat

·
Registered
MB 170 SCB (1951)
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanx Pat!
I have great difficulty in reading the Chassis no # on the battery side and compare it with the one quoted on my official Registration Licence.
Maybe paint coatings have done bad work!

Do you know, if there is any other place on the car (except the battery pillar or the metal plate in the rear of engine bay...), where I can read the Chassis No#????

Thank you in advance.
Konstantinos.-

Attachments

·
Registered
1962 W111 220SE Coupe
2,289 Posts
Dust the numbers with chalk or talcum powder then lightly wipe off (on a dark car, graphite works well on a light colored car) and the numbers should become more easy to read.

Lovely, lovely, lovely car you have by the way!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts