Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2008 R350 | E46 M3
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello:

We are looking for a pre-owned R-Class. I have read some poor reports on the ‘06s and have been focused on the ‘07s. However, we are looking for a black/black and not finding much. We are considering opening up the search to include ‘06s – what are your thoughts on this? Also, do you have any advice on what to look out for in general for the R-Class? Many thanks for your advice.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hello:

We are looking for a pre-owned R-Class. I have read some poor reports on the ‘06s and have been focused on the ‘07s. However, we are looking for a black/black and not finding much. We are considering opening up the search to include ‘06s – what are your thoughts on this? Also, do you have any advice on what to look out for in general for the R-Class? Many thanks for your advice.
I have an R 2006. it runs perfect. for the deference in the $, I was able to get a whole load of options.

Driving a MB without Memory seats, wood steering, fog lights, DVD, air suspension, parcktronic, panoramic roof, folded mirrors, heated seats and electric lift gate is = to zero luxury.

If you want true luxury, then go for a fully loaded 2006, which is the same price of a 2007 stripped. What ever you decide, Make sure it is CPO though.

note: not all 07 R's are 4matic, watch out.
Good Luck:bowdown:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thanks for your advice and feedback. Also, I was not aware that not all
R's are 4matic - thanks for the heads-up! We want 4Matic!!
+note: all 2006 R's are 4matic even if they do not have a 4matic batch in the back.
However, 2007,8,9 & 10 must have the 4matic batch to be 4matic:confused:

·
Registered
GL450, R500 traded, ML350 sold
437 Posts
+note: all 2006 R's are 4matic even if they do not have a 4matic batch in the back.
However, 2007,8,9 & 10 must have the 4matic batch to be 4matic:confused:
I second that. I have a 2006 R500 with most options offered, everything except airmatic. It has 4matic even though it doesn't have the 4matic badge in the back. The option that I enjoy the most is the Keyless-Go. I would definetely recommend it if you find one with it. You will read a lot of posts about the reliability of the 2006s since it was the first production year. I have not encountered any problems since I purchased mine last January. I also recommend you get a CPO vehicle and if you can add the extended warranty for a couple more years.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I purchased an 07 back a few months ago and it was not a CPO. It only had 15000 miles with a clean carfax so I felt the factory warranty was still plenty. I paid 25,900 and it had a lot of options like 4 matic, pano roof, navigation, heated seats, power trunk, 2nd row console etc. There are some really good deals out there. I would always check CPO first but if you can find an 07 or 08 with low miles you can save a lot of money and still have years of a warranty left. I searched for a few months before purchasing ours. I was a little scared to go with a first year model so an 07 was important to me. Try to check the service records on the car if it is from a MB dealer. You can learn a lot about the car that way. Good luck....we love ours.

·
Registered
2008 R350 | E46 M3
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I purchased an 07 back a few months ago and it was not a CPO. It only had 15000 miles with a clean carfax so I felt the factory warranty was still plenty. I paid 25,900 and it had a lot of options like 4 matic, pano roof, navigation, heated seats, power trunk, 2nd row console etc. There are some really good deals out there. I would always check CPO first but if you can find an 07 or 08 with low miles you can save a lot of money and still have years of a warranty left. I searched for a few months before purchasing ours. I was a little scared to go with a first year model so an 07 was important to me. Try to check the service records on the car if it is from a MB dealer. You can learn a lot about the car that way. Good luck....we love ours.
Thanks Spam. We are going through the same thought process of ideally looking for an '07. But we are hell bent on a black/black and there isn't much out there for '07s in the price range we are trying to stay in. Thanks again for the input. Sounds like you got a great R!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Thanks Spam. We are going through the same thought process of ideally looking for an '07. But we are hell bent on a black/black and there isn't much out there for '07s in the price range we are trying to stay in. Thanks again for the input. Sounds like you got a great R!
I've got a black on black '07, I've never seen another like it before so good luck my friend. I'm way upside down in it otherwise I'd offer it to you :)

·
Registered
557 Posts
Get a later model. Also check the production date. It is located by the tire information when you open the driver seat. I had 07 but with production date Sept./06. I had bad transmission and numerous other really annoying issues. Buying 06 will be a big mistake in my opinion.

·
Registered
2006 R3504M, 2007 E3504M
412 Posts
What is important is production date, and in-service date. I'd rather have a 06 with a longer warranty that a 07. A 06 CPO with SCW (Star Certified Warranty) or ELW (Extended Limited Warranty) would for sure be better than a 07 with the standard warranty.

I have a late production 06. Here are two pointers to look for in a 06 to see if it's a virtual 07: - Check that the 3rd row windows pop-out, - Check that the sun visors have two parts, with a small one beneath the large visor.

·
Registered
20 Posts
It took us a few months to find one that had options/miles/price that we liked. If you are not in a rush, you will find one. In this economy they are out there and at great prices. Good luck.

·
Registered
'06 R350
143 Posts
Thanks man! How has your R been? Looks like you have an '06. What does Yap mean?
I mean yes.
Mine is a late production '06 with 3rd row vent and double visors. Bought with 26k miles on it. I brought it to dealer for a TSB considering one of the rollers on serpentine belt. Just swap on a new set of tires 2 months ago. Runs smooth and worry free. Now hitting 39k and awaiting for transmission fluid change.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts