Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
Mercedes 300te
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
300E with Amg kit on it. Looks to be factory installed.
Just want to make sure if it was ordered from the factory like that or just put on after.
If its not i'll just part out the car.
Vin WDBEA30D0HA486241

Thanks in advance..

Attachments

·
'89 300E Turbo project, ‘85 Audi Coupe Quattro, ‘71 BMW turbo 2002, '73 BMW 2002tii, ‘67 Kaiser M725
17,641 Posts
Dibs on the body kit and steering wheel.

·
Cruise Control
'87 300TD/'90 300D/'94 Quattro/'89 Vanagon TDI/'01 EV Weekender VR6
52,233 Posts
I hesitate to wade into another AMG discussion, but I don't believe the MB factory was involved with any AMG equipped cars during that era. The VIN probably isn't going to be much help with your determination. You'll need to look for genuine AMG logos and part numbers to verify.

·
Registered
Mercedes 300te
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Body kit is Amg with part numbers. Plastic/urethane bumpers?
Car is mostly stock except for the mags & body kit. No other traces of Amg parts around.
I guess hard to tell like what Zietgeist said..Vin doesn't show anything..
Need some space right now. Just checking just in case something comes out...:)
I guess the car is going to be parted out... Too bad car has no rust anywhere.. All factory paint & panels. Need engine work, tranny, sunroof doesn't work, front windshield cracked surprisingly the black interior is really nice no damages.. Help me decide guys....Should i keep it intact or part it out.. I don't really need another car right now...

Thanks ShaunE55 for the details...

·
Registered
2008 E350 4M, 1988 300TE
5,432 Posts
The bodykit depending on condition can be worth anywhere from $1000-$2000.

Check for AMG stamp on engine block. If the engine is stock 3.0L, part the car.

·
Registered
'04 G500, '00 E55 AMG, '90 300TE 4Matic, '82 240D
1,951 Posts
you could probably get a couple grand for the AMG bits, or you could fix it up (donor car probably required unless you're very mechanically inclined), have it pro detailed and then maybe sell it for $4-6? Personally I'd probably fix it up to drive but I understand having too many cars!! Red+amg parts make for one hot little 124

·
Registered
1995 e320ce. 1993 230 TE. 1987 Kit car with 260e running gear.
637 Posts
No rust anywhere???????????
Are you sure it's a Merc 124:D
I'd bet I could find some, or rather it would find me:(.
Seriously, why scrap a car that needs only nuts & bolts repairs as bodywork is the enemy in terms of $/time/quality of finish?

Boyd :)

·
Registered
'04 G500, '00 E55 AMG, '90 300TE 4Matic, '82 240D
1,951 Posts
since when do 124's rust?

·
Registered
Mercedes 300te
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
No rust anywhere???????????
Are you sure it's a Merc 124:D
I'd bet I could find some, or rather it would find me:(.
Seriously, why scrap a car that needs only nuts & bolts repairs as bodywork is the enemy in terms of $/time/quality of finish?

Boyd :)

Yup, no rust on it. My other parts cars has lots of them and newer model too..Came from a wintery cold place.. Normally they seem to not rust over here..

Ps2cho It has the regular m103 engine on it.. :-(
I can shove an e320 engine on it. But i think it might be too much work involved in it?
Never done that yet anyways...
This is the nicest parts car i had. No rust, nice interior. Red/black combination.. Help!!! Lol...
I'll take some photos of the engine bay.. Let you guys decide..

Attachments

·
W124 Moderator
86 190E 2.3L 16V, 2 95 320TE's, 02 S500
12,648 Posts
Check for AMG markings on the springs. From what you've shown, the car is to nice to part out. Sell something else, use those funds to get the 300E in order.

Jayare

·
Registered
2008 E350 4M, 1988 300TE
5,432 Posts
Yes but remember it needs both engine + tranny work....

If you have the time to either have major repairs ($$$$) done or an engine swap then keep the car, otherwise, part it out to scavengers minus the interior you could swap into your car. That would be much easier than engine + transmission work...and free.

·
Registered
Mercedes 300te
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes but remember it needs both engine + tranny work....

If you have the time to either have major repairs ($$$$) done or an engine swap then keep the car, otherwise, part it out to scavengers minus the interior you could swap into your car. That would be much easier than engine + transmission work...and free.
Not really sure how easy an engine & tranny swap is... Any ideas how long it would take & what would you need?
Don't really need the interior for this too. I have another black & gray leather interior very nice shape. Came from an E320. I alo have a whole car i can get parts if i want to save this one.. Just have to know how long it will take to do it... Too much cars already.. Have to give up some..

@Cacciatore08 got this a while back already. Didn't have the heart to cut it up...Too nice to cut... :-( But i need space..

·
Registered
Mercedes 500E & CLK32K
511 Posts
I hesitate to wade into another AMG discussion, but I don't believe the MB factory was involved with any AMG equipped cars during that era. The VIN probably isn't going to be much help with your determination. You'll need to look for genuine AMG logos and part numbers to verify.
AMG was tuneing Mercs way back into the late 60's. The AMG Hammer was based on a 1987 W124, which looked very similar to this car. Tracking originality on pre 92 AMG's is very difficult, as the vehicles were built as standard Mercs and then tuned by AMG. It wasn't till 1992 that you could actually order a AMG built car through Mercedes. All of the AMG options are part of the data card. That said, AMG still tuned customer cars, so even it the car is a 1992+, that does not mean the options are going to show up in the data card.

AMG decals in the engine bay, door jams and inside the gas lid are good signs it is a car tuned by AMG.

AMG cars built in the US, well thats a whole different story. You have BHMA and Westmont building cars. Neither followed any definitive set of rules though. Both provided customers with a bill of Sale, thats about your only solid proof.

·
Registered
99-C43, 05-G55K, 71-280SL, 94-E320 CAB
2,282 Posts
Hard to tell by the pix but if you have jacking point covers on the side skirts and a tow hook cover on the front spoiler then I would say the kit is authentic.

The separate black impact strips are also a clue.
Most fiberglass kits molded the impact strips as part of the bumper.

It's an early kit for cars without lower side cladding and the side skirts appear to have the correct contour where they meet the wheel arch.

The early kits didn't always have part numbers molded in, but should have a tag.
Part numbers on the early 124 kits began with a "C "

What size tires on on the car as the wheels look like early Aero's.

Pix below show the two styles of side skirts on the GEN I kits.

Ed A.

Attachments

·
Registered
Mercedes 300te
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Hard to tell by the pix but if you have jacking point covers on the side skirts and a tow hook cover on the front spoiler then I would say the kit is authentic.

The seperate black impact strips are also a clue.
Most fiberglass kits molded the impact strips as part of the bumper.

It's an early kit for cars without lower side cladding and the side skirts appear to have the correct contour where they meet the wheel arch.

The early kits didn't always have part numbers molded in, but should have a tag.
Part numbers on the early 124 kits began with a "C "

What size tires on on the car as the wheels look like early Aero's.

Pix below show thw two styles of side skirts on the GEN I kits.

Ed A.
Jack point covers

Front tow hook cover

Rear spoiler numbers

Its Aero 1 wheels 17"

Attachments

·
Registered
Mercedes 300te
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Something sparked while i was reading the replies.. 2phast's 500E It has a nice red to it. I wonder if its the same red.. Looks same to me.. Hmm.. Maybe i should just fix this up.. dispose the e320...I haven't seen another red w124 around here..

1 - 20 of 29 Posts