Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1980 300SD, 1998 E320 Wagon, 1981 300TD, 2000 SL500, 2000 ML320
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a new side button for the armrest latch for my 2000 SL500. I just spent a half hour looking for one online with no luck at all, so I thought I would ask here for the part number or the name of a parts place that carries them.

·
Premium Member
2000 SL 500 Sport
535 Posts
PUSH BUTTON EPCLooks like part # 170 in this EPC Part number.....1296830055 about $3.86 at OEM benzparts.

If its not just the button I think you will need the whole assembly $$$$

·
Registered
2015 328i
462 Posts
You may want to check if you have missing springs. My button is in place, but is not being held. So when it pops out, springs and other parts can fall out, too.

·
Registered
18 Posts
PUSH BUTTON EPCLooks like part # 170 in this EPC Part number.....1296830055 about $3.86 at OEM benzparts.

If its not just the button I think you will need the whole assembly $$$$
Do you have any details on the "whole assembly" pleas? I have the button but there is nothing inside for it to fix to so I have no idea what I am looking for. Thanks

·
Registered
1998 SL500, 1999 ML320
128 Posts
I need a new side button for the armrest latch for my 2000 SL500. I just spent a half hour looking for one online with no luck at all, so I thought I would ask here for the part number or the name of a parts place that carries them.
I don't find that part in my list for the 1990-02 SL 320/500/600 129's but I have had my center console completely open and did some repair inside the lid and related parts. Sad to say, I didn't think about taking pictures but maybe I can respond to a picture of the parts and areas involved. In particular, I removed a "flag" which was vacuum driven and blocked the side button from being pressed, a locking feature I dispensed with. If I am off base with the area involved just let me know. Otherwise maybe we can discuss the issue. The side button is held in from the inside of the lid. Can you get the console lid open?

·
Registered
1998 SL500, 1999 ML320
128 Posts
When you say "armrest" are you referring to the lid of the center compartment? Can you open the lid? If that's the case we can discuss options.

·
Registered
18 Posts
CalCiCi if you can forgive me for hi-jacking your conversation with lambretta, I have the same issue and pictures
Picture 1. This is the button I am having a problem with.

Picture 2. This actual button I have.

Picture 3. And I can place it in the hole

Picture 4. Then I can gently press the button.
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

Picture 5. And the cover opens.

Picture. 6 But inside there is nothing to hold it in place.

Picture 7. So it just drops out again.

So the question is, what am I missing?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

regards

Tony

Attachments

·
Registered
1998 SL500, 1999 ML320
128 Posts
I am so sorry I didn't think to take pictures of my 1998 SL500 armrest/lid. I removed the whole assembly because some interference and scraping developed. It turned out to be a wire connector and vacuum hose. With a little effort I got the armrest off so I could have a look and maybe give it a little lube. My "button" was the same thickness throughout (flat) and I could have made a replacement with a sheet of plastic and a bandsaw. It was larger on the inside of the lid so it couldn't come out, much less detailed than the one you show. It looks exactly the same from the outside as your picture but it's on the left side. So, I can't help but I wish you luck.

I will repeat one comment that I think is important. After reading that some person couldn't access his compartment for 5 years I had a look at what the vacuum system did. It pulled a small flag/tab in front of the button blocking it. I clipped that flag off, not caring whether the console is locked. I also did some lubing of moving parts, with absolutely no reduction in forces. Wrong choice in lube I guess.

·
Registered
1998 SL500, 1999 ML320
128 Posts
OK, thanks, I'll keep hunting and post when I find the solution. cheers
I just went out and took some pictures. They are IDENTICAL to yours so I won't post them. The "simple" button I dealt with is inside the lid which I removed and overhauled. The button you push from the outside pushes the button on the lid "my button". If I open the lid and push the outside button and look at it from the inside, the profile is precisely the same shape as yours. I didn't give that button a second glance when I had the lid off but from it's behaviour it's clearly spring loaded and there is a chance that the spring(s) are what holds it in.

My guess is that, if the outside button ever worked for you, why not open the assembly and look for some broken spring parts.

I can't wait . . . .

·
Registered
1998 SL500, 1999 ML320
128 Posts
I am so sorry I didn't think to take pictures of my 1998 SL500 armrest/lid. I removed the whole assembly because some interference and scraping developed. It turned out to be a wire connector and vacuum hose. With a little effort I got the armrest off so I could have a look and maybe give it a little lube. My "button" was the same thickness throughout (flat) and I could have made a replacement with a sheet of plastic and a bandsaw. It was larger on the inside of the lid so it couldn't come out, much less detailed than the one you show. It looks exactly the same from the outside as your picture but it's on the left side. So, I can't help but I wish you luck.

I will repeat one comment that I think is important. After reading that some person couldn't access his compartment for 5 years I had a look at what the vacuum system did. It pulled a small flag/tab in front of the button blocking it. I clipped that flag off, not caring whether the console is locked. I also did some lubing of moving parts, with absolutely no reduction in forces. Wrong choice in lube I guess.
IGNORE THIS and look at my other post which may be a bit more helpful. Helpful, not a full answer.

·
Premium Member
2002 Black SL500, 2000 Azure blue SL500, 2005 Silver (A209) CLK500
1,001 Posts
Is a parts diagram available...with a break down of the parts...

And looking at picture number 5...lid open and light on...
This seems to be a right hand drive...meaning the steering wheel is on the passenger side in the U.S.
Different system for left hand vs right hand perhaps? Don't know....just wondering...

·
Registered
1998 SL500, 1999 ML320
128 Posts
Is a parts diagram available...with a break down of the parts...

And looking at picture number 5...lid open and light on...
This seems to be a right hand drive...meaning the steering wheel is on the passenger side in the U.S.
Different system for left hand vs right hand perhaps? Don't know....just wondering...
Yes, I noticed that but wasn't sure whether the pictures had been reversed or it was a right-hand drive. In any case I don't think that is an issue. My first post was based on the thought that the button was in the lid. My second one, after I had gone out last night to take pictures agreed completely with what the OP showed. I am sure my lower button, the one that is in the side of the console and not in the lid, is exactly the same as the one pictured by the OP. My identical side button clearly is retained and is spring loaded. In looking at the exploded parts picture there are two springs in the picture. There is a tiny chance that they mate with the two round parts of the lower button. Just a random guess because the drawings are not to scale. If the OP doesn't find springs laying down somewhere I will try to see if my car has springs attached to the button.

Still waiting . . . .

·
Registered
1998 SL500, 1999 ML320
128 Posts
One more look. I took one more look (using a better mirror) at my outer button and there are two flat tabs at each end of the unit. They extend out to about the same length as the two round cylinders. It looks like the detailed photo by the OP shows places where those tabs would have been broken off. I haven't taken my box out and prefer not to but it's possible that there are two extensions or at least tabs to hold the device in and either accept springs or act as springs themselves. I suggest the OP take a very close look to see if there is evidence of broken areas at the extreme ends of his button.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts