Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Proud owner of an Blue-Black (Charcol Gray) '91 420SEL
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow W126 owners.

I have been scouring the EPC site but have one part that I can't find.
I have a California '91 420SEL. My heads are off right now and so is the lower intake.
I have a rubber cap on the forward port of the throttle body (see below) that I can't find the number for in EPC. I am not sure what this port would be used for but my car had no vacuum line for this function.
I did eventually find the numbers for the the three 90 degree vacuum fittings on the back and left side but can't seem to find this one.

I also have one other question related to this part of the engine.
I have an OEM part number throttle body sensor installed but have no idea how old it is. The number on my sensor is 005 545 86 24 and below is 45 09.
I don't know if the 45 & 09 are part of a date code system but since this thing is "buryed deep in the rib cage" I want to change it so that it can't give me a problem in the near future. I know that they are around $120 on average but in changing this sensor is there going to be an electronic issue
that will cause me to have this car put on a machine at the dealer?
I marked the old sensor, took it, and soaked the throttle body in carb cleaner over night and then flushed it with hot water and blew it dry as it was very dirty. After two days of drying I put the sensor back on but since my heads are not installed yet the throttle body is just waiting for installation.
Any advice on this sensor would be greatly appreicated.
jimm1009 here on b.w. or [email protected]

Attachments

·
Outstanding Contributor
1989 560SEC, 1989 560SEL, 1995 E420
4,468 Posts
I can help with the rubber cap issue.

I just found a similar cap on my W116 that was cracked and leaking. While it would be nice to find exactly the right replacement part, I chose to simply install a short length of standard vac hose with a piece of golf tee inserted in the end. Does the job!

Mike

·
Premium Member
2012 CL550 4MATIC Coupe
9,992 Posts
I got a vacuum cap assortment from Pep Boys that has asst. caps included, though you can use Mike's method.

·
Registered
Proud owner of an Blue-Black (Charcol Gray) '91 420SEL
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have considered that option and also have done it more than I can count but since this is almost impossible to get too once the engine is back together I want to get the real MB part. I have also used small bolts or screws in place of the golf tee due to weather conditions.
The reason is that this one shown in the picture is probably 22 years old and still in pretty good shape. Just not in good enough shape to leave there potentially until the engine gets overhauled a few years and hopefully a 100,000 miles or so down the road.
I thank you for the suggestions.
jimm1009

1 - 4 of 4 Posts