Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
1991 E-class 60,005miles
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is my problem, whenever i drive my ride all i smell is gasoline.. SO i stopped by my Indy Mechanic we popped of the air intake system, the air filter and found that my EHA was covered in fresh gas and it smelled really strong of it too.. Is there a way to rebuild this device? How much does a new one cost and where other than the stealership can i buy either a new one or a rebuilt one?

·
Registered
'95 E300 DIESEL, '91 600SEL, '92 600SEL
16,841 Posts
The EHA is not rebuildable. And they leak from the inside out. One of the main causes for leaking is because fuel quality today is nowhere near what it was back in the mid-80s when the W124 was new.

The good is news is that you can buy a new Bosch unit at autohausaz.com for example at a significant discount ($226) vs. buying the same part from the dealer (about $400-450 last time I checked.

p/n# is 3437010040

·
Registered
1991 E-class 60,005miles
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
partsgeek sells EHA valve seals for 2 dollars and change.. Is this some kind of rebuild kit for the EHA?

·
Registered
'95 E300 DIESEL, '91 600SEL, '92 600SEL
16,841 Posts
partsgeek sells EHA valve seals for 2 dollars and change.. Is this some kind of rebuild kit for the EHA?
That's just for the pair of green seals. The EHA tends to leak from the body (most of the time). Again, the EHA itself is not rebuildable.

·
Registered
"Gretchen" my 1986 300E 286000 km+ (RIP) August 2015
1,092 Posts
You know trying the seals might just work for you. I'd first try them and then throughly check for leakage. I had a leaking problem with mine and found the seals cracked and brittle. I changed them out and it never leaked again. If all else fails, you know the program. Good luck

·
W124 Moderator
86 190E 2.3L 16V, 2 95 320TE's, 02 S500
12,634 Posts
If it will make you feel better, buy the two green O rings and give them a shot. You could get lucky like GHM. When the EHA was inspected, was the gas flowing from the mounting surface of the fuel distributor or was the gas coming from the weep holes on the EHA itself?

Jayare

·
Registered
2008 E350 4M, 1988 300TE
5,427 Posts
used ones are an absolute gamble...I personally don't recommend them. You have no idea if they are bad, or out of adjustment and there is no real way to tell.

Start with the O-rings, then replace the unit with a new one (even then it MAY need adjustment...its all dependent on distributor condition.

·
Registered
Mercedes 300CE '91
319 Posts
I agree with ps2cho. I read somewhere on this forum that modern gas contains too much methanol which damages the EHA fairly quickly. That means that the used EHAs would most likely be in the same condition as your EHA.

·
Premium Member
'92 300TE 4matic 280,000miles, '92 300TE 4Matic 'Ice Blue Metalic' 101,000miles
10,138 Posts
The 10% Ethanol blend gas used everywhere in the US, plays hell with older FI systems. The MB EHA is one of the usual causalities. I don't know what the legal requirements are, but the pumps aren't always labeled with the 10% sticker...even if that gas is being pumped:( It's getting harder and harder to avoid it.:mad:

Kevin

·
Registered
1991 E-class 60,005miles
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I got a rebuilt eha/fuel distributer(from a seller on ebay, its for w124,w126 and w201) put into my car on tuesday from my indy mechanic.. Cost about 153 and change.. The good is that i dont smell any gas. The bad is that my car seems to be experienceing some serious power loss.. When i floor it from 0 it hangs put at 1,000rpm for a second or two, then the speed slowly bumps up to 3, its hangs out there for a bit then it slowly moves up. I floored it on the highway which by the way is more than a mile before a slight hill. I maxed out at around 65 before the hill, then once the hill came it slowly bumped up to 100mph at the top of the hill...

·
Registered
1991 E-class 60,005miles
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here is my question, does this thing need to be broken in? Does it need like several hundred miles to be broken in b4 i get full power? Or do you guys think i should get a refund, well in my case it would have to be an exchange cause the dont do refunds..

·
Registered
1991 E-class 60,005miles
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Im gonna make a vid of me of me doing a highway run either today or tomorrow..

·
Registered
2008 E350 4M, 1988 300TE
5,427 Posts
You bought a rebuilt eha and distrib off ebay? Oh no no no no...

Who is the seller? These are not the type of things you can buy from anybody.
Either way, you have it -- lets figure it out. First thing is to make sure duty cycle is fluctuating around 50% and within range. Only reason it may have changed is with the new height of the plunger on the "rebuilt" unit. If its cycling ~50% leave it alone, report back and we can go from there.

·
Registered
1991 E-class 60,005miles
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The seller is 4ukiddos with 99.8% Positive feedback located in Glendale, CA. How and where do i find the duty cycle? How do i know when its working at 50% range? What does this plunger look like?

·
Registered
2008 E350 4M, 1988 300TE
5,427 Posts
The main issue I see here is that he is selling mixed items....Who is to say that he took two completely different remaned units, stuck them together and sold it. EHA + Distributor MUST be flow tested and MATCHED together otherwise you'll get what you are experiencing.

Do a search on duty cycle, its all over the forum.
Plunger is the little...plunger that sits on the bottom of the distributor. The airflow meter that depresses as you accelerate is physically linked to that plunger...no magic workings -- you push the pedal, the plunger is pushed up in the distrib and fuel passages open wider. Simple process, but if the duty cycle, which in real terms, is a VERY FINE tuning of the plunger height, is wrong, you'll never get anywhere. Same if the rebuilt unit's plunger height when reset is wrong, you'll never get anywhere....

I know it may seem complicated, but once you understand whats happening it makes sense how to diagnose it step by step. You're going to have to get a little dirty to fix this.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts