Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, anyone have a clue how id' get this from a used parts/wreckers yard ? I don't know how to refer to it other than "gps antenna cover"

See mine here

http://www.bluetube.com/temp/IMG00156.jpg

I lost the "tip" that covers the antenna.

Cheers
Grant.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Part No 210-827-00-31-xxxx
$110.00 Through a dealer.

Where xxxx is the color code. I'm guessing yours is black so it's going to be 9040. Mercedes is not offering just the tip, you have to buy the whole thing.

·
Registered
31,633 Posts
Man, you guys never look in the regular 210 section, do you? :D

There is a sticky DIY on using the euro tip (about ten bucks) to replace the one on our cars.

I did it on mine and posted pics and more detail into the DIY.

(BTW, it's the phone antenna, not GPS, so it's completely useless.)

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
That's the antenna for the TeleAid system. The phone uses the radio antenna in the rear bumper.

TeleAid was an analogue system that has been phased out by the federal government so it no longer works. Mercedes can upgrade it to digital but it's very expensive plus you still have to subscribe to the service for about $300 a year.

Fred

·
Registered
31,633 Posts
That's the antenna for the TeleAid system. The phone uses the radio antenna in the rear bumper.

TeleAid was an analogue system that has been phased out by the federal government so it no longer works. Mercedes can upgrade it to digital but it's very expensive plus you still have to subscribe to the service for about $300 a year.

Fred
Thanks for the correction, that's what I meant. Either way, both systems are now useless, so I tend to think of them interchangeably. Thanks, Mercedes. :D

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Thanks for the correction, that's what I meant. Either way, both systems are now useless, so I tend to think of them interchangeably. Thanks, Mercedes. :D
Actually, the integrated phone system can be upgraded for a fairly reasonable cost to V60s standard which is fully 911 compliant and Verizon will support or you can get the bluetooth "puck" adaptor and have virtually any phone integrate with your car's audio system and steering wheel controls (and voice control, if you have that) Theres a guy on ebay selling this V60s kit for $575.

Mercedes Motorola V60s Phone Upgrade Kit non Bluetooth - eBay (item 160302625201 end time Jan-01-09 22:01:53 PST)

He also has the bluetooth kit for a bit more. I bought the V60s kit from him and it was an easy install in my 2001 E430 and I now have a fully functional integrated phone that works through the car's audio system and I can talk hands free using the microphone in the roof while the phone is pluged into the cradle. I can also dial hand free using the voice control because I also got the kit with the voice control module, fiber harness and PTT lever from the same seller for $125.

If you're even thinking about this, call Keith, the ebay seller (his phone number is in the listing). He's a great guy and will happily talk with you about what you need for your specific car. If you buy from him, he will walk you through the installation and activation process. I have no financial interest in this other than being a totally satisfied customer.

Also, there's a long thread about this in the audio/telematics sticky. (the OP is Skylaw) It discusses the options and challenges for upgrading various MB models to modern cell technology.

Fred

·
Registered
31,633 Posts
Actually, the integrated phone system can be upgraded for a fairly reasonable cost to V60s standard which is fully 911 compliant and Verizon will support or you can get the bluetooth "puck" adaptor and have virtually any phone integrate with your car's audio system and steering wheel controls (and voice control, if you have that) Theres a guy on ebay selling this V60s kit for $575.

Mercedes Motorola V60s Phone Upgrade Kit non Bluetooth - eBay (item 160302625201 end time Jan-01-09 22:01:53 PST)

He also has the bluetooth kit for a bit more. I bought the V60s kit from him and it was an easy install in my 2001 E430 and I now have a fully functional integrated phone that works through the car's audio system and I can talk hands free using the microphone in the roof while the phone is pluged into the cradle. I can also dial hand free using the voice control because I also got the kit with the voice control module, fiber harness and PTT lever from the same seller for $125.

If you're even thinking about this, call Keith, the ebay seller (his phone number is in the listing). He's a great guy and will happily talk with you about what you need for your specific car. If you buy from him, he will walk you through the installation and activation process. I have no financial interest in this other than being a totally satisfied customer.

Also, there's a long thread about this in the audio/telematics sticky. (the OP is Skylaw) It discusses the options and challenges for upgrading various MB models to modern cell technology.

Fred
Good information, but I'd have a hard time justifying $700 for a bit of convenience in the car. If I lived in it and ran a business through a cell phone, perhaps, but man, that is a 37" 1080P LCD TV. Presently I'm struggling with the idea of spending $500 on a 7" DVD-MP3/4-GPS/Bluetooth/SD all in one single din head unit, I can't imagine laying out $200 more than that just to talk on the phone more easily (and still using old technology).

Absent such a costly solution, both of the phone antennas are useless, which is just a shame. I hope our Beemer brethren have that kind of situation, too. :D

Greg

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Good information, but I'd have a hard time justifying $700 for a bit of convenience in the car.
Greg, I hear you! I'm pretty much a cheapskate about things like this but I'm really amazed at how much this has enhanced my enjoyment of the car. A personal thing, I guess.

You could probably do this set up for half that by buying a used MB V60s phone on ebay (I've seen them go for $10-$40) and sourcing the dual sense PSE and V60 cradle/cradle holder separately.

Fred

·
Registered
6 Posts
Try this part number: 2028270031. This part no. is for E430 and 1999 E55. I bought one for my 2001 E55. Its not the exact same part as was on my E55 but I had to trim the end off some and the ribs on the lower portion of the cap locks perfectly on to the housing. The dealer MSRP is $8.75. As your probably aware the complete painted antenna is $464 and and the rubber cover with antenna in it is $94. By the way if you wern't aware you can access the MB EPC (electronic parts catalog) online at EPC-net Online and its free. hope this helps. Dan

·
Registered
414 Posts
i did the same as dleffler only i chose to slightly drill out the plastic housing for a perfect fit. I believe it was a 1/2" drill bit. 99.9% of the look and feel at 10% of the price of a new housing all together.

·
Registered
31,633 Posts
Try this part number: 2028270031. This part no. is for E430 and 1999 E55. I bought one for my 2001 E55. Its not the exact same part as was on my E55 but I had to trim the end off some and the ribs on the lower portion of the cap locks perfectly on to the housing. The dealer MSRP is $8.75. As your probably aware the complete painted antenna is $464 and and the rubber cover with antenna in it is $94. By the way if you wern't aware you can access the MB EPC (electronic parts catalog) online at EPC-net Online and its free. hope this helps. Dan
i did the same as dleffler only i chose to slightly drill out the plastic housing for a perfect fit. I believe it was a 1/2" drill bit. 99.9% of the look and feel at 10% of the price of a new housing all together.
Franki, now I remember having to drill the cover out. Thanks for jumping in.

Dan L.
Um, yeah....all of that is covered in the DIY I referenced above. :rolleyes:

Greg

·
Registered
446 Posts
Just did my antenna per the instructions mentioned previously.
Perfect!
One of the tricks to drilling out the hole is to make sure your drill bit is nice and sharp. I used a Bosch Brad Point bit. Cut through the plastic like butter. Just go nice and slow. A variable speed drill would probably help.
The fit at 1/2" is nice and very tight and there was enough of the rubber on the inside that I didn't think there was a need to use sealant.
Thanks again to this forum for a great and more importantly INEXPENSIVE DIY!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Man, you guys never look in the regular 210 section, do you? :D

There is a sticky DIY on using the euro tip (about ten bucks) to replace the one on our cars.

I did it on mine and posted pics and more detail into the DIY.

Greg
I also need the antenna cap and do not want to spend the $140 quote to me by the dealers. What is the 210 section and where do I find it ?

·
Registered
3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
GPS Aerial on Boot Lid Cap

Either someone stole mine or it fell off after all this East Coast snow. Right now it looks like the GPS/TeleAid sensor is exposed. Looking at the center of the trunk lid its a square white unit with what looks like 2 metal connectors on the left and right, with the right 2 cracked off).

I went to HBL and they quoted $160 for part number A 129 827 02 31 (for my black 2001 CLK 430). That seems like a ridiculous price for just the cover.

Can anyone offer some insight here. Do i just need the cap or the cap and the actual antenna? ie, based on description above does it sound like getting just the cap won't do the trick? I don't see how the cap would fit over what's left and not just fall off.

Also, any thoughts on where to get a used cap would be appreciated. For example if anyone knows of a auto wreck/salvage yard in the Washington DC metro area.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts