Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
1975 450SL
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My house got broken in to last night while we were away for about an hour. The dirtbags got the little box that I keep my spare keys in. Including the Benz. Does anyone out there have a source for another set of locks? Or recommendations on whether or not to just rekey. The existing locks aren't in that good of shape, so going in to change might be an improvement.

It looks like this weekends' project will be a hidden starter disable switch, otherwise I have to remove the battery every night.

With SWMBO not working, I have to watch the expenses, so 'budget' suggestions are VERY welcome.:eek:

Thanks,
Scott

·
Registered
1986 560 SL
7,747 Posts
No suggestions, but I sympathize with you.
We've been broken into a couple of times. It's very upsetting.

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
11,210 Posts
I don't have an inexpensive solution for new locks; the one I investigated, through my dealer some months ago, was going to run around $270 for a new ignition lock, and I'd still have to replace the door locks if I wanted them to match the key. I didn't do it.

Even getting a new key for the ignition was a major hassle. You might find http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r-c107-sl-slc-class/1471074-i-lost-my-key.html http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r-c107-sl-slc-class/1502073-lost-keys.html and http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r-c107-sl-slc-class/1484546-help-replacing-ignition-key-cyl.html helpful.

Some time ago one of the 107 forum contributors was parting out his car, and offered his locks and keys; I don't have that bookmarked, unfortunately, and don't know if they're still available.

·
One of the BW Old Guard/R129, W204 Moderator
1997 SL500- 40th Anniversary
7,279 Posts
Few things in life make me more disgusted and upset, than an effin thief! Having been hit more times than I care to recall, I can empathize with you.

Good luck in your recovery...

·
Registered
82 380SL 96 SL500 03 SL500
6,182 Posts
Sorry to hear about that.

As your SL is an older model, you might check with a locksmith about simply rekeying your locks or better yet, get a new ignition and see about having the remainder of locks rekeyed to match.

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
83 280 SL- 5 speed-The PIG
32,168 Posts
Insure the SL heavily.

Sit back and wait.

Sorry for your troubles.

·
Registered
1978 450SL (RIP); 2007 Impala 9C3 (Police); 2010 Ford Edge
212 Posts
An old school idea......pull distributor to ignition coil wire at night. The car will crank but they won't get anywhere. In the mean time, you might hear this and you can get you baseball bat and remedy the problem.:)

Its also easier than taking the battery out at night.

Sorry to hear about the violation.....

·
R/C107 Moderator
1986 560SL: '84 500SL: '84 280SL 5 speed: other 107s
32,777 Posts
Sorry to hear about the theft.
Now let's get serious about where we can help. How do you remove the ignition lock cylinder without the key? I have everything you need except trunk from the '72. I just don't know how it would help without being able to remove the ignition cylinder. I have the trunk cylinder but one of the springs popped out and I am not sure about it.

·
Registered
380SL (1981)
122 Posts
Hi,

Sorry to hear it..
Rather than a battery disconnect switch my car has a switch that cuts out the fuel pump. It is hidden in the boot and avoids the clock and stereo being reset every time. It might be a good solution for now?

·
Registered
1986 560 SL
7,747 Posts
Sorry to hear about the theft.
Now let's get serious about where we can help. How do you remove the ignition lock cylinder without the key? I have everything you need except trunk from the '72. I just don't know how it would help without being able to remove the ignition cylinder. I have the trunk cylinder but one of the springs popped out and I am not sure about it.
Rowdie, I understand RT just lost the spare key.

·
R/C107 Moderator
1986 560SL: '84 500SL: '84 280SL 5 speed: other 107s
32,777 Posts
Guess I misunderheard.
That's OK. If Scott needs them they are here.

·
Always Remembered RIP
1979 280sl 4 sp w/ac 1957 MGA 1998 volvo xc/70 2004 F150
6,050 Posts
Why not pay SWMBO to baby sit the Benz. Money stays in the family, cars safe, and more time for you. !!

·
Premium Member
1975 450SL
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My tentative plan is to splice a hidden switch into the starter relay lead from the ignition switch. That way, I don't have to worry about blowing up the ECU if I pull the coil wire. The key could be turned all day, but the starter wouldn't engage unless the switch was thrown.

I have a couple other things I want to do behind the instrument cluster that I've been putting off, and this sounds like a good opportunity to get in there. The weather looks good for this weekend.

The real problems are that they got the key for SWMBO's Camry Hybrid, which costs about $250.00 for each key, plus $150.00 to program, last I heard.

Then they got ALL the keys for the Bike. Fortunateley, it's buried in the garage, but they also got a garage door opener. That'e the easiest to fix; just get a couple new ones, and reprogram everything to a new code.

The new window is going to be a little bit of a mess, but it's simpler than a water pump replacement on a M117 :cool: That summer spent working for a glass installation company is going to come in handy finally.

(Mutter mutter mumble mumble bear trap mumble electric fence mutter mutter)

Thanks,
Scott

·
Always Remembered RIP
1979 280sl 4 sp w/ac 1957 MGA 1998 volvo xc/70 2004 F150
6,050 Posts
A good one to pass along. We used to pull the headlight relays out of our trucks which were left outside. Twice they were stolen but found within blocks with minimal damage. A thief has to be pretty stupid to drive a stolen vehicle with no lights.

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
83 280 SL- 5 speed-The PIG
32,168 Posts
..............or you can do what Nobette does most days. Leave the vehicle in the driveway with no gas.

·
Premium Member
1975 450SL
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks, everyone. Just what I need, ideas on which way to start out. I'll check with a locksmith about rekeying the doors and trunk cylinders to another ignition key, although I do think I'll be contacting Rowdie to see what bits he is willing to part with and how much.

I'm just in the start of this mess, but each step is one closer to the end. I spent a bit of time online, and was able to get all new locks for my truck for only $68.60 shipped.

Thanks,
Scott

·
One of the BW Old Guard/R129, W204 Moderator
1997 SL500- 40th Anniversary
7,279 Posts
Thanks, everyone. Just what I need, ideas on which way to start out. I'll check with a locksmith about rekeying the doors and trunk cylinders to another ignition key, although I do think I'll be contacting Rowdie to see what bits he is willing to part with and how much.

I'm just in the start of this mess, but each step is one closer to the end. I spent a bit of time online, and was able to get all new locks for my truck for only $68.60 shipped.

Thanks,
Scott
On "buy it now", under mercedes 107 search, there was also just a switch section (Keys and tumbler only) for 40-sumthing dollars...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts