Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2002 SLK32
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been discussing getting headers made for the SLK32/320 with a guy in Phoenix. It would be great if someone with a 320 or 32 would let him take a look at your car to see if it is possible to fabricate headers. I'm going to send him some pics but there is nothing like being able to look at the car in person. It really shouldn't take very long. If anyone would be kind enough to do this for me, please email me at [email protected]. Thanks.

·
Registered
2001 SLK 320 Sport
450 Posts
If Aaron Lephart (ALephart on the forums) had purchased a 320 or 32 rather than a 230 I guarantee he would have headers in the works already or at least be a test guinea pig for you, being that he is in CA as well.

Are we seeing any progress with the Chrysler Crossfire crowd? Same frame and engine as the R170 320 and a "new" vehicle with potential tuners as well. if any products start coming out for them I'm sure we could use/modify them.

·
Registered
SLK32, ML430
6,349 Posts
This is something we have been trying to get going for about as long as I have been on the board.

There is a shop that I like near LA if anyone wants to volunteer their car.

No. The Crossfire boys & girls have nothing going on. They are 1) cheap and 2) into the cosmetic aspects.

·
Registered
2002 SLK32
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm surprised we don't have a any volunteers from Phoenix. There must be someone here with a 320 or 32 who lives in Phoenix. There is no commitment for them to buy or even use their car to build the headers, just a quick 30 minute look to take some measurements.

·
Registered
SLK32, ML430
6,349 Posts
Had the same issue with the shop in LA. I had a couple of people say they would be willing to go to the shop for ~2 hours for measurements, calculations, etc. No one would ever follow through.

·
Registered
2002 SLK32
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I sent Chris some pictures and he said he thought it could make it work. Good news. However, it would still be nice to have someone go by his shop so he could look at the car. Please.....

·
Registered
SLK320, MKV Jetta TDI, Mini Cooper S, Lincoln Mark LT
1,712 Posts
I am in Phoenix and this is the first I heard of this discussion. I have an SLK320. Who wants to look at it?

·
Registered
SLK32, ML430
6,349 Posts
Much better if Chris can actually look at the car. It would be nice to 1) have a set of headers and 2) a well designed set of headers. A set of long tube headers, relocating the cat's further back would be nice.

·
Registered
2002 SLK32
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
E-Klasse said:
I am in Phoenix and this is the first I heard of this discussion. I have an SLK320. Who wants to look at it?
Sent you a PM with the info. Thanks.

Steve

·
Registered
2002 SLK32
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
430 said:
Much better if Chris can actually look at the car. It would be nice to 1) have a set of headers and 2) a well designed set of headers. A set of long tube headers, relocating the cat's further back would be nice.
Hoping E-Klasse will drop by but I'm planning on doing the drive if the project continues. I just talked with Chris and he said once the jigs are made they can certainly do a production run so if anyone is interested, please let me know.

We talked about long tube vs short. Long tube certainly provide more gains but they also require a lot more programming including dealing with emission codes. California is pretty strict so I'm leaning towards the shorter ones but we'll see.

·
Registered
2001 SLK 320
1,248 Posts
Steve,

The 32 has dual exhaust correct? How would headers work with a 320 or would it be a waste of time?

·
Registered
2002 SLK32
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Actually the exhaust on the 320 and 32 are very similar. The 32 has a resonator but I don't believe the 320 does. The muffler on the 32 may be different as well. The 32 has duel exhaust to the resonotor but then a single tube to the muffler. I think the 320 uses a y to run into the muffler.

Headers on a 320 would most likely not be worth the money. There would be better flow but you are looking at only 5 to 10 hp. Maybe long tube would perform better but then you are into ECU tuning. On the 32 the difference will likely be about 25 to 30 hp for a short header and closer to 40 to 50 for a long header. However, I think I'm only going to pursue the short version so it doesn't look too different than stock.

·
Registered
SLK32, ML430
6,349 Posts
Running the long tube headers should not require any additional programming vs. shorties and should have (for all intents & purposes) no effective differences in emissions.

Where the difference comes in is that you may not pass visual inspection with the long tube headers. The extra work will come in with the required adjustments to the exhuast tubing, the lengthening of the wiring harness, and the moving of the O2 sensors.

·
Registered
SLK32, ML430
6,349 Posts
Regardless of style I would like to see the headers in Stainless Steel. Too many issues with the heat cycling on mild steel. More than one person has had their Evo headers crack.

·
Registered
2002 SLK32
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Definitely stainless and fully coated inside and out. Engine bay temperatures will drop significantly. I have no doubts that Chris will do a great job. He did a long tube custom header for an E55 and got +80 hp +90 ft/lbs of torque after an ECU tune.

·
Registered
2002 SLK32
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
430 said:
Running the long tube headers should not require any additional programming vs. shorties and should have (for all intents & purposes) no effective differences in emissions.
Chris said that long tube usually requires changes in programming. He also mentioned your point about the visual inspection.

·
BenzWorld R170 SLK Host
2002 SLK32 AMG
2,652 Posts
Steve, send me a PM if you still need somebody with a 32 to drop by. I'll likely be able to take it sometime between May 18-25, but it may have to be on Saturday or Sunday if it's on the opposite side of town. Where is the shop?

·
Registered
SLK32 AMG
15 Posts
SteveL said:
Hoping E-Klasse will drop by but I'm planning on doing the drive if the project continues. I just talked with Chris and he said once the jigs are made they can certainly do a production run so if anyone is interested, please let me know.

We talked about long tube vs short. Long tube certainly provide more gains but they also require a lot more programming including dealing with emission codes. California is pretty strict so I'm leaning towards the shorter ones but we'll see.

Yes yes yes
I am interested.
Short header

/Göran

1 - 20 of 48 Posts