Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Ive been a long time fan of the w126 benz and I've been wanting one for a while. Living in thailand it's not easy to find. But one recently showed up and it looks very beautifull. It's on the other side on the country and I asked the seller for videos and photos of the car. I know there won't be to much to see on the videos and photos but would like a expert "first impressions" it at all possible.

Thanks in advance.

I'm trying to attach two videos of the car complete walk around and engine running but they won't upload. Il try converting

Attachments

·
Registered
1985 500sel and 500sec 2012 E63 1989 Porsche 911
6,049 Posts
wow pretty cool

debadge it because that ill positioned rear badge makes me nauseous

get some sporty amg wheels and ditch the whitewalls, and go back to amber corners

hows is the audio system

Reactions: Orothinius

·
Registered
190 amg, s350
20 Posts
Obviously the car has been painted, so we can't see the true body condition. But at first glance it does strike me as a loved car by its previous owner, and that's what you are looking for. Basically these '80's v8's are bulletproof, so short of some deteriorated hoses and such you should not have a lot of issues under the hood.

·
Registered
2004 CLK320; 1985 380SEL
90 Posts
I don't claim to be an 'expert', but I do have a lifetime of personal DIY experience with cars maintenance and repairs. It is so hard to determine true vehicle condition from photos and video, compared to personal inspection. Having said that the car is well presented. Clearly it is not 'original' and comes with modifications some may like and others may not. (I agree with getting rid of the white wall tires, but I like the rims). Depending on the price, I would feel more comfortable with committing to a purchase if I had an independent pre-purchase inspection report form a trusted local mechanic. I imagine in Thailand, with tropical high humidity and rainfall, a thorough check for rust is a must(?)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the replies, because of covid restrictions I can not travel yet to view the car myself. When I do I will inform you all. The asking price is 350.000 thai baht. I think the car was owned either by a embassy or a very rich family / royals. Because the seller has two other cars for sale that are the same versions of the car but a stretched limo and a se500. I will include pictures so u can see they all come from the same source I believe. Would be awsome to own all 3 haha.

Attachments

·
Registered
2004 CLK320; 1985 380SEL
90 Posts
Thanks for the pics. Love the 3-door limo!
I've no idea of the Thai market for used cars/older Mercs. But for a good condition vehicle with no major/costly repairs needed, 350,000 Thai baht appears a fair-good price compared to Australian prices (I paid A$20,000 - 480,000 Thai Baht for a good one with 180,000 km on the clock). I'll leave it to the US guys to chime in with their opinions.
Good luck!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks I tought it was a good price to, the 500se goes for 250.000. The milage on the 560 is 98.000 km. All driven in bangkok.

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
17,871 Posts
Ah lovely Thailand. Welcome to the forum.

No idea about the pricing, and yeah the car has had absolutely everything done, even the headliner is replaced. Great looking car though.

Inspection by professional seems a really good idea.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I wish I knew a expert, beeing that these older model Mercedes are very uncommon. Thanks for all the replies and comments.

·
Registered
1989 300SE 240k miles
3,039 Posts
I have a patient that managed the estate of one of the uber-wealthy. He tells me story after story after story of that family destroying cars. From kids jumping on the roofs of Porsche 911’s to a someone driving a brand new 480SEL through multiple hedges. And then just sending the cars off for restoration.

Me, I’d be hesitant to buy a car from those type of people. Because damaging it is never a concern. Nothing is a concern. All repairs are cash. You have no idea what’s been done. That said, I really like the idea of an embassy car. Me, I’d buy it for that reason.

Edit: I do like the white walls. A lot 😁

·
Registered
1989 300SE 240k miles
3,039 Posts
I don’t know what traffic is like in Thailand, but see if you can drive the car for an hour or so. I’d feel pretty good most problems would manifest by then.

·
Premium Member
1990 300SEL
1,128 Posts
The interior is obviously impeccable.

I wonder about the rear suspension sitting low. Either the hydraulic suspension is bad or it's been swapped out sloppily.

What are your expectations mechanically? Are you ok if it needs timing chains/guides or a suspension rebuild? Or are you expecting something that's perfect right away? If it's the latter, you need to get more info. If it's the former, take your chances and buy.

I'd assume this was chauffeur driven and the owners let their chauffeur deal with the maintenance/repairs. If you could track down the chauffeur, buy him a few bottles of Mekong, and get the real story about that car... chok dee...

My bet on previous ownership is some Thai government ministry or military branch -- just because statistically, they run a collectively bigger fleet than they-who-shall-not-be-named or embassies. And I don't see an ultra-wealthy family using a three-row limo. They'd have a few S Classes and a Toyota or Sprinter luxury van, not a three-row limo.

·
Registered
1999 C280 (sport), also 2001 SLK230
522 Posts
What I notice about that car is that the engine compartment doesn't look nearly as pretty as the parts that a non-mechanic would see. In particular, the coolant overflow tank looks stained, possibly by rust, which indicates improper coolant, which could imply an internal engine corrosion problem. Also, and it's hard to see, brake fluid reservoir also looks dirty, which implies that few, if any, brake fluid flushes have been done. Mercedes recommends every 2 years, which seems excessive, but "never" isn't a good schedule either.

Even though the dealer is not likely to have anyone who knows that model, you should at a minimum have the local dealer look it over, or another mechanic.

The price doesn't seem unreasonable, though you could probably get a better deal in the USA. That said, you probably don't have much competition for that car either, so I'd haggle hard. And it is low-mileage, though driving around Bangkok, I'd imagine that they are pretty hard miles, with a ton of stop-and-go, along with very high heat, and short trips. Not exactly like driving across the USA. I'd imagine that even with the low mileage, rubber and plastic parts, due to the heat, are likely shot. See if these have been replaced.

Try to get some photos of the engine compartment from above and below, the brake fluid reservoir, and some undercarriage photos. At least get someone besides the seller to look at it.

Here's a post I wrote a while back about some of the pros and cons of buying a W126, mechanically speaking. You might find it helpful.

Cheers, and welcome to the forum,

Kim G
Boston, MA

·
Registered
1977 W116 450SEL and 1988 W126 560SEC
606 Posts
Looking at the instrument cluster, I don't think it belongs to a 560. 560s had 260 km/h speedometers and red line starting at 6000 rpm. The one on the car is 240 km/h and 6250 rpm red line. So the mileage displayed may not paint the full picture.
I like the car, they look great in white (not sure on the white wall tires though). Oh and another thing, the air filter housing has the fitting for the breather hose, but there is nothing connected to it - may be a good bargaining chip.

Good luck and let us know if you buy it Orothinius.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for all the replies, some real gold nuggets in there. I'm trying to get more photos but the owner is beeing a bit difficult saying I should just come after covid restrictions and look at it. The interior I think is new. I put in a new interior in my cars every few years over here it only costs about 250 dollars for a full new interior wich is crazy cheap haha. I will let you guys know how the viewing goes in a few weeks. And thanks again for the many replies!

·
Premium Member
1990 300SEL
1,128 Posts
Looking at the instrument cluster, I don't think it belongs to a 560
Matches up with the misplaced rear badge. Maybe OP can pull a VIN or chassis number of some sort? If they're misrepresenting the engine size, who knows what else they're misrepresenting.

·
Premium Member
1990 300SEL
1,128 Posts
the owner is beeing a bit difficult saying I should just come after covid restrictions and look at it.
In my experience buying used cars, that means you're not the sucker they're looking for, and they don't want to deal with you.

Some of the old-money areas of Bangkok have gorgeous W126s, W140s, even W123s. Those folks of course tend to hold on to their stuff. But maybe if you ask around you could find some interesting W126s for sale from their original owners. Used car dealers are used car dealers, no matter what country you're in.

·
Premium Member
1990 300SEL
1,128 Posts
wish I knew a expert, beeing that these older model Mercedes are very uncommon
Wait was this car advertised in English? If so, run away fast. (I had initially assumed you're Thai, but now I get the hunch that you're not.) If you can read/write Thai, find some vintage MB fans on Facebook or Pantip and buy from them or at least with their help. If a car is advertised in English in Bangkok, they're hunting for rubes.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts