Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2005 E320 CDI 120k
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the midst of replacing my compressor and condenser. Both were diagnosed bad by my indie mechanic. I can see the condenser leak now that it's out and the compressor clutch had failed throwing a code.

My question is with new compressor and condenser, should I check and/or replace the expansion value and/or flush the evaporator? I have the MB PDF instructions on how to get to the expansion valve (how to remove water drain, left/right vents, wiper), but really would like to know how important it is and how much effort this job requires in order to get to the expansion valve ?

·
Registered
1999 E55, 2001 E320, 1990 560 SEC, 2004 ML350, 2001 ML55, 1995 S500, 1998 SL500, 2010 E550 Sport zoo
7,035 Posts
There are many cases where a shop would not necessarily replace the expansion valve and/or not do a evap flush - outside of a MB dealer only select top tier MB indies would go to that extent - and general auto aircon shops mostly wouldn't go that miole either.

The expansion valve from Egelhof is affordable - but a bit of a pain to get the expansion valve off and back on - the non-Egelhpf's frankly aren't that great.

It's up to you - on compressor the Sanden Behr is quite a value as a brand new affordable OE-Denso-compressor around $265 techchoiceparts.com

Keep the beat !

·
Registered
2005 E320 CDI 120k
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your opinion! This is kinda what I was figuring. The indie didn't tell me he was going to go to all that trouble.

I have the techchoiceparts.com compressor and a Behr condenser from eBay.

·
Registered
1999 E55, 2001 E320, 1990 560 SEC, 2004 ML350, 2001 ML55, 1995 S500, 1998 SL500, 2010 E550 Sport zoo
7,035 Posts
If it was me I find a MB indie or a good general auto air con shop to do the work at a reasonable price with the parts you have in hand.

For the right shop compressors and condensors jobs get done all the time - and they are effective with their actual shop times.

Keep the beat !

·
Registered
2007 E320 Bluetec, 2008 320ML CDI
2,492 Posts
While the expansion valve is optional, I thought the receiver/dryer should be replaced if replacing the compressor and condenser. Will need new hose from dryer to condenser too if you go that route.
Skippy

Sent from phone.

·
Registered
1999 E300DT (RIP) 2001 E55
128 Posts
My question is with new compressor and condenser, should I check and/or replace the expansion value and/or flush the evaporator? I have the MB PDF instructions on how to get to the expansion valve (how to remove water drain, left/right vents, wiper), but really would like to know how important it is and how much effort this job requires in order to get to the expansion valve ?
This is a tough call.

I replaced only the clutch on my compressor years ago and it was a BITCH. I was lucky in that it was only the clutch was bad and the compressor hadn't "shelled out" or experienced "black death" which would've mandated a flush.

Several years later it happened again and I had an Indie replace the compressor/receiver-dryer and flush the system to the tune of many $$$. No problems with the E300 since. They DID happen to replace the expansion valve though.

I have since tooled up for A/C work with proper gauges and a 2 stage vacuum pump and would personally perform a compressor replacement in lieu of a clutch repair the next time around. If I suspected system contamination, I would remove the compressor,receiver-dryer, expansion valve and have a shop just flush it out with me performing all the other work.

From personal DIY experience, I had just a condenser leak on my M3 which I fixed with a new condenser and receiver-dryer w/o replacing the expansion valve and have had no problems with it.

Found a DIY for a W210 expansion valve replacement here that doesn't seem bad:http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210-e-class/1531641-removing-c-expansion-valve-w210.html

1 - 6 of 6 Posts