Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2003 ML500 2002 S430
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Im going to be removing my old pump tomorrow. My new one comes in monday. Ideally Im looking for a complete DIY guide.

If not I would really appreciate just a heads up about anything tricky I might encounter and maybe some tools and hardware sizing info if you dont mind.

I would really appreciate the help because as Im sure you all know its tough to have your only vehicle OOC! :(

Thanks so much guys, Pete

·
Registered
2003 ML500 2002 S430
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does anyone know how you get to the E-10 just to the right side of the idler pulley? I dont have the room to get anything on it..

I have a torx 10 to take the pulley off but I put a little torque on it and its real tight, Also I havnt read anything that said it even necessary to remove. Id rather leave it alone if possible.

Thanks! Pete

·
Registered
Dallas, Texas
6,848 Posts

·
Registered
2003 ML500 2002 S430
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys, I just got the old pump out. I did have to remove the idler pulley but I did not have to remove the fan or shroud, There was plenty of room to slide the pump out. I just had to rotate the fan so some of the longer bolts could slide beetween the fan plades.

I really didnt think it was that tough of a job. Ill see how easy the new one goes in on monday.. In the meantime can anyone direct me to a coolant fill/flush DIY?

Thanks, Pete

·
Registered
2003 ML500 2002 S430
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Heres the old pump, There was considerable damage to the impeller. The bearing was almost completely gone?

Attachments

·
Registered
2003 ML500 2002 S430
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry for the late response, The impellar looks broken and severly shaved down. the backplate is also scored substantially. Strangly enough the pump didnt make that noise.

·
Purple Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
21,797 Posts
The reason I asked is where are all those metal bits from the impeller now? Hopefully
they came to rest in an inert area of the cooling system.

·
Registered
2003 ML500 2002 S430
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, I guess Ill find out soon. With my luck they are in the WORST possible location :(

·
Registered
'07 C280 4matic, '06 530i, '98 ML320
1,562 Posts
When I changed the water pump, I used a card board and made a drawing of the new water pump and poked holes at the locations of the bolts. After removing each bolt, I put the bolt in the card board at the same location - to ensure that I remember where the bolt came from.

Drawing on the wood board will work... if the board is accidentally hit during the repair job, all the screws will be mixed up.

·
Registered
2003 ML500 2002 S430
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was wondering, Should I just proceed with the install today and then work on my fill/flush of coolant (the old coolant was pretty dirty) or should I leave the 1 1/4" hose disconnected at the bottom of the radiator pass side? Also would you guys recommend a good cooling sytem flush for this vehicle or should I just run new coolant through it for a bit?

Thanks, Pete

·
Registered
'07 C280 4matic, '06 530i, '98 ML320
1,562 Posts
If I was doing that job, I would flush the system with distilled water and then fill the system with MB coolant (or Zerex G-05).

·
Registered
2003 ML500 2002 S430
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Very well, Thanks, I just asked because I used a prestone solution that seemed to work well in my older Lexus. Will do.

Thanks again, Pete

1 - 18 of 18 Posts