Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before I get too committed to the idea of buying a W123, I thought that it might be wise to seek advice regarding the potential outlay (both in terms of cost and space) that would be involved in relation to obtaining the tools and equipment necessary to keep the car in good running condition.

What are the "must have" items (tools, equipment, whatever) that someone who currently has no automotive tools at all should buy shortly after purchasing a diesel W123?

How much do you estimate that the "must have" items would (or should) cost?

What are the recommended sources for these items (i.e., a Mercedes dealership, a speciality outlet, Sears, etc.)?

How much space would these items take up in one's garage?

Are there any items that you'd recommend buying that could come in handy but which could be purchased over time as money or needs dictate?

·
Registered
1981 W123 300D non turbo, 1992 190E 1.8 <=> 2.0
6,561 Posts
Nice question but if you compare the number of tools I own to the number of tools most people own you might want to redefine "well-equipded"!

I guess the question I have for you is what are you prepared to fix on a W123?

Engine rebuild?

Transmission rebuild?

Suspension rebuild?

Routine maintenance?

On the whole if you have nothing I think that you'd do best buying a not so fancy 6 point 1/2 inch socket set at a chain store that has a lifetime warranty. Buy a similar 1/4 inch set too. When something breaks - go back and get a new tool. I wouldn't get too worried about tools though you'll have to buy what you need as you go along.

If you want more detailed must haves - have a look at this thread

What must have tools and/or MB special do you own or need? - PeachParts Mercedes ShopForum

If you were to buy everything that you could possibly need to fix a W123 from scratch you would probably spend thousands.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess the question I have for you is what are you prepared to fix on a W123?
Thanks. I'm thinking routine maintenance as a starting point.

Doing extensive rebuilding work is probably not something I'd consider immediately delving into.

·
Registered
Brown 83 300SD I have a few other projects before I get to her!
1,845 Posts
Thanks. I'm thinking routine maintenance as a starting point.

Doing extensive rebuilding work is probably not something I'd consider immediately delving into.
Than a basic set of wrenches & sockets from like Sears, Craftsman, are perfect. You break a ratchet or socket & they are replaced. I have some that are over 60 years old that were my Dads & Father-in-laws. These are hand me down tool like they advertise. Look for them when they are on sale too.

I started w a basic tool box & bought what I needed as I went along. Also, if you have questions on anything MB, they guys on here are the best. Another thing, make sure you have a good floor jack & stands for when you have to get under the car for a look-see. A floor jack may also make it easier to put the tires back on because the studs are not on the axle like domestic cars.

Good luck,
Dave

·
Registered
83' 300d
343 Posts
Get a Craftsman toolkit. Make sure that it has a 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2 drive ratchets/sockets in metric. Also be sure that it has wrenches in metric as well.
As this is a MBZ, go to Harbor Freight and get yourself a set of these
11 Piece Metric Highly Polished Long Handle Combination Wrench Set

This'll cover you for most of your wrenching needs. Also, get a pair of vice grips and a breaker bar.
Most of the little stuff that's specific to this car won't be needed super often and ya can buy it cheap at Harbor Freight. It's cheaper and easier to just buy specific specialty tools when ya need them, opposed to buying them in advance. If you're mid job and stuck, then a quick trip to the tool store usually can cure things.

You can do a lot of maintenance with just some basic sockets and wrenches mentioned above. You're going to want to hold off on buying specialty tools like spring compressors, ball joint presses, valve adjustment wrenches, etc. For this kinda stuff, sometimes it's cheaper and easier to just hire someone to do specific jobs.

·
Registered
'86 W123 200, OM617 non-turbo, bastard 5-speed; '95 W202 C250 Diesel, OM605 non-turbo, 5-spd man
4,274 Posts
For most of the jobs on my car I only ever needed:

13 mm spanner wrench;
10 mm spanner wrench;
17 mm spanner wrench;
6 mm Philips screw driver;
6 mm flat screw driver.

These allow me to 1.) perform all services (although the diesel filter requires a 19 mm or 22 mm spanner as well); 2.) rotate wheels; 3.) dissasemble the entire interior; 4.) remove the doors and bonnet/hood; 5.) adjust, remove and replace my alternator and bracket.

What more could you need? A funnel to prevent oil spillage, some cleaning rags for use when servicing, ramps... all I can think of. More serious jobs require more serious tools, of course.

·
Registered
77 240D
993 Posts
for aesthetic work, i also recommend a set of plastic or "trim"pry tools. mercedessource has some. you won't be able to take much trim off without damaging it otherwise.

·
Registered
1978 280ce euro found dead on Ebay
1,805 Posts

·
Registered
1996 e320
1 Posts
The locks on my 1996 E320 stopped responding to the fob.The fob is ok,the red and green lights flash in rear view mirror when signalled, also the autolock on the dash and the trunk release stopped working at the same time.What gives?

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
I recently bought this "TEKTON 3352 Mechanic's Pry Bar Set, 4-Piece "

They've been very usefull on many jobs(especially working on the brakes!)

Hope this helps!
I could have used that today when I changed my Flex Discs & Center Bearing. Would have made the out & in of the driveshaft a little quicker.

Also for the real MB Guy, a set of hex sockets. Could of used them today on the flex disc bolts, they were hex head.

Dave

·
Registered
1,845 Posts

·
Registered
'86 W123 200, OM617 non-turbo, bastard 5-speed; '95 W202 C250 Diesel, OM605 non-turbo, 5-spd man
4,274 Posts
Also for the real MB Guy, a set of hex sockets. Could of used them today on the flex disc bolts, they were hex head.

Dave
Mine actually has MB bolts and nuts. Much easier to get in there with open spanners than Allen keys, nevermind hex sockets.

I always drive with a Crescent tool set in my car. You never know when you may need to help a broken-down BMW or Toyota:D

And, just for fun, I have one of these in my work shop as well:

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
If you're replacing the transmission shift lever bushings from inside the vehicle, you'll need a pair of C-clip pliers to remove the locking C-clip holding the bushings in. That's typically a one-time deal, unless you prefer to do it often :D

For brakes, get a set of piston separators to push the pistons back gently into their bores so you can insert new, thick brake pads in.

I've found the following combination wrenches to be helpful:

8mm
10mm
12mm
13mm
14mm
15mm
17mm
19mm (by now a 1/2" socket might work better)

Differential cover uses a 14mm allen fastener. Torque converter I think was a 10mm allen. Oil drain plug is a 13 or 14mm. The filter housing bolts (on a 300D turbo) are 13mm. Thermostat housing bolts, 10mm. Fan clutch bolts, 10mm (thin spanner/wrench needed due to clearance issues). Kickdown cable adjustment, 13mm.

Lug bolts, 17mm. Use an extendable lug wrench if you can find one. Torque to spec. 110Nm or 85lb-ft if I remember correctly.

The locks on my 1996 E320 stopped responding to the fob.The fob is ok,the red and green lights flash in rear view mirror when signalled, also the autolock on the dash and the trunk release stopped working at the same time.What gives?
Your car is a W210 chassis. This is the W123 section, which is two generations earlier. :D

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
Your car is a W210 chassis. This is the W123 section, which is two generations earlier. :D
Maybe, but we old-car guys know more about cars:thumbsup:

What's a fob...?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts