Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2009 BMW Z4, 2005 SLK 200, 2004 S 280
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another near record day on the road: 90 minutes to drive 14 kilometers (8.7 miles) at an average speed of 10 kph (6.2 mph) with a gas consumption of 21.1 liters per 100 kilometers (11.4 mpg).

Attachments

·
Registered
2006 SLK 350
974 Posts
Corkscrew - 4/20/2006 7:06 AM
Another near record day on the road: 90 minutes to drive 14 kilometers (8.7 miles) at an average speed of 10 kph (6.2 mph) with a gas consumption of 21.1 liters per 100 kilometers (11.4 mpg).
Don't worry. this kind of performance is normal... for a Hummer! [:eek:)]

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
But, for a tiny SLK 200?

Of course sitting at a traffic light for 20 minutes just might do it.

·
Registered
06' SLK350
2,315 Posts
Look on the bright side, more quality time with the SLK. [:D] You might want to consider your next mod for the SLK. A karaoke machine, it's quite popular in Japan. Now you can enjoy your ride while singing to your favorite tune. [8D]

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Most Thais consider me a bit weird for driving with the roof down. Only teen age boys think it is cool. Girls hate it as the sun will darken their skin. My wife will only let me put the top down (when she is a passenger) at night. Even then she hates it as it wrecks her hair (so she thinks).

Attachments

·
Registered
SLK350 350Z
26 Posts
You didn't drive with the top down for an hour and a half in the middle of April, did you?
I heard it's freaking hot this past week.

·
Registered
SLK350 w/AMG SP; 2008 C300
75 Posts
Sawadee Corkscrew-

I hope you didn't drive it around with the top down during Songkran.

Was vising Chiang Mai during Songkran a few years ago. Was able to stay somewhat dry. Of course I was riding around in a tour bus.

I don't see how you can drive around Bangkok with traffic like that. Even without the traffic, the Soi's (side streets) are dangerously narrow. I imagine it's like anything else, you eventually get used to it.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hebsan - 4/21/2006 8:24 AM

Sawadee Corkscrew-

I hope you didn't drive it around with the top down during Songkran.

Was vising Chiang Mai during Songkran a few years ago. Was able to stay somewhat dry. Of course I was riding around in a tour bus.

I don't see how you can drive around Bangkok with traffic like that. Even without the traffic, the Soi's (side streets) are dangerously narrow. I imagine it's like anything else, you eventually get used to it.
I had the top fully up...as well as the windows.

Attachments

·
Registered
SLK55, SL600, A4
26 Posts
No Screen Shot, But...

I didn't have a camera but after reading about your suffering, I figured I'd check my stats after driving to Hanau. This was from my driveway to parking on a military base in Hanau.

194 miles 2:08 hr 90 mph 15.4 mpg ;)

Average to light traffic, normal driving speeds including several miles in and around town at each end of the trip. I like these numbers a lot better than yours. I think that I'd go crazy on your commute. This winter, this trip took me 6 hours one time due to weather and accident delays.

·
Registered
'14 CLS63 AMG S, '10 GLK350, '03 SL5000
289 Posts
Try This Road to Raise Your Ave. MPH...

Corkscrew said:
average speed of 10 kph (6.2 mph) with a gas consumption of 21.1 liters per 100 kilometers (11.4 mpg).
Yo! Corkscrew. I invite you to visit us here in Utah and Nevada where you could quickly raise your MPH. However, your MPG may be no better.

This photo is from the Extraterrestrial Highway (Rt 375) in nearby Nevada. The town or Rachael is in the distance and you can likely make this 18 mile run without seeing another vehicle. Navigation System not required!

·
Registered
06' SLK350
2,315 Posts
slk55er said:
This photo is from the Extraterrestrial Highway (Rt 375) in nearby Nevada. The town or Rachael is in the distance and you can likely make this 18 mile run without seeing another vehicle. Navigation System not required!

Speaking of the Devil, Hi Gordon, I was at a BMW CCA event yesterday and Andrew was talking about you. Andrew asked if I knew you b/c we drive similiar cars. I told him I did but you drive the better version. (AMG) :)

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
bradmg said:
I didn't have a camera but after reading about your suffering, I figured I'd check my stats after driving to Hanau. This was from my driveway to parking on a military base in Hanau.

194 miles 2:08 hr 90 mph 15.4 mpg ;)

Average to light traffic, normal driving speeds including several miles in and around town at each end of the trip. I like these numbers a lot better than yours. I think that I'd go crazy on your commute. This winter, this trip took me 6 hours one time due to weather and accident delays.
I had much better luck on May Day...it was a holiday here in Bangkok. Works out to be more than 30 mpg.

Attachments

·
Registered
06 SLK350 MT LHD & 09 SLK350 7G RHD
171 Posts
Corkscrew said:
How do I view the images corkscrew has posted. When I click on the link I just get a messagebox to download some unknown file format. Anyone else get this?

·
Registered
SLK55, SL600, A4
26 Posts
Corkscrew said:
I had much better luck on May Day...it was a holiday here in Bangkok. Works out to be more than 30 mpg.

Well, that looks much better especially for a city commute. :)

I find that I will go all the way around a city just so I don't have to go through it, especially on a nice day. Seattle was bad enough for me growing up.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I was watching an old top gear recently and there were some good tips for getting better mpg:

* Use cruise control to keep your speed constant and think hard about any speeding up or slowing down you need to do (ie. try not to!). Drop it out of cruise and allow the car to slow down going up hills.

* Put the gearbox in manual and keep it in top gear

* Keep your speed down generally

* Don't use any electric more than you absolutely need

* Don't use air con especially

* I guess keep the top up too, although the car being tested wasn't a softtop

All pretty obviously really, maybe with the exception of putting the car in manual - that hadn't occurred to me.. I'm going to do a test when I get mine - see what I can get out of it :)

·
Registered
SLK 350
2,327 Posts
Or, you could buy some 1.3 liter slug and save both the gasoline cost and the purchase price. After spending $57,000 on my SLK I'm not too concerned about the price of gasoline or the milage that I get.

·
Registered
125 Posts
But it probably costs you a quarter of what it costs me to fill it up! :( But it's just a bit of fun really. Something to try out :)

·
Registered
2005 SLK55 AMG
788 Posts
PhilD73 said:
I was watching an old top gear recently and there were some good tips for getting better mpg:
* Don't use air con especially
I would add, that the comment was especially true in years gone by. Now a days the A/C compressors are really very efficient (and in many cases multi stage/speed).

So there is a trade-off in mpg hit due to A/C compressor versus increased air drag possible with windows down (depending on car and window design).

·
Registered
125 Posts
bloflin said:
I would add, that the comment was especially true in years gone by. Now a days the A/C compressors are really very efficient (and in many cases multi stage/speed).

So there is a trade-off in mpg hit due to A/C compressor versus increased air drag possible with windows down (depending on car and window design).
Really? I didn't know that. I'm do some tests sometime when I get mine - I'll roast in the car for the sake of science ;)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts