Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
'14 CLS63 AMG S, '10 GLK350, '03 SL5000
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure if it was due to a rock hit on the 55's left-side lens, but probably so. However, I don't recall hearing any impacts and I do not see any obvious impact point on the lens. It is just completely shattered.

I am surprised because I had the lenses covered with a 40 mil protective cover (so much for that idea.) It's possible that the lens cracked because of heat build up due to the lens cover, although I have used the lens so little and the right-side lens is OK.

Or, if this has happened to others, it may be a warranty issue. Any info will be appreciated. Thank you.

·
Registered
350 SLK
1,528 Posts
slk55er - 5/7/2005 4:00 PM

I'm not sure if it was due to a rock hit on the 55's left-side lens, but probably so. However, I don't recall hearing any impacts and I do not see any obvious impact point on the lens. It is just completely shattered.

I am surprised because I had the lenses covered with a 40 mil protective cover (so much for that idea.) It's possible that the lens cracked because of heat build up due to the lens cover, although I have used the lens so little and the right-side lens is OK.

Or, if this has happened to others, it may be a warranty issue. Any info will be appreciated. Thank you.
Have used fog lights alot because there is almost always a marine layer here in the morning. They are both fine. As for rocks, I have a few small chips in the paint on my lower hood but no broken fog lights....yet[:eek:)]

·
Registered
2005 SLK55
664 Posts
Mine is waiting for a replacement.

Not just a lense, but a whole assembly is needed for at least $150 and my dealer says it's not a warranty item. Pretty crappy design IMO, especially since a lense cover is a $20 part. Also, the AMG lens is different from the 350's lighting package,
P.s happy birthday!

·
Registered
06 SLK350 Obs Blk,
51 Posts
Hey SLK55er

First of all...Happy Belated Birthday!

FYI...last week my AMG driver's side fog light shattered smack dab in the center of the lens. I did not have it protected with the 3m coating. The crack is in a jagged, complete circle. Looks to me like a rock kicked up into the lens as one part of the crack has a chip. Its unfortunate we have to replace the entire unit because it looks like the bezel is a separate piece. Bet it's glued to the glass lens. I hate rocks.

bobbyM [xx(]

·
Registered
237 Posts
I had that film on my old G35 coupe and it came with a warranty agnaist lens breakage, paint chipping, Etc. If you had yours professionally installed it should be cover my the film maker. I am having my SLK done very soon.

·
Registered
2005 SLK 55 AMG
372 Posts
Both of mine are currently broken. The cost is 157 each and they had to be sent in from the Mother Country. Arrived broken so I'm still out of foglight. 250 bux to install them (100 * 2.5hrs) [xx(]

·
Registered
'14 CLS63 AMG S, '10 GLK350, '03 SL5000
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
CP1 - 5/8/2005 4:53 PM

250 bux to install them (100 * 2.5hrs) [xx(]
That's outrageous. I had mine out in under 5 minutes to get the Hella Part number from it. All that is required is a T20 torx screwdriver -- 3 screws and the mesh grill comes out, 4 more screws and the light assembly is out. Jeez!

BTW the following Info is on the Hella tag:
1N0 008 582-00
SAE F01
TN 98 02 B

I thought this also might be on some onther MB Model, but have not been able to find another source. Have not yet had a reply from Bekkers.

·
Registered
2005 SLK55
664 Posts
I see a trend...

To place a fragile glass lense close to the ground in a sportscar is bad enough. But to rip people off is another thing altogether.
Cheers!

·
Registered
2005 SLK 55 AMG
372 Posts
RE: I see a trend...

No, my IP address is NOT 24.175.98.122, it's 192.168.2.7.

Fix your sign.

·
Registered
2005 SLK55
45 Posts

CP1 - 5/9/2005 4:48 PM

Fix your sign.
Yes it is. 192.168.2.7 is your private address. 24.175.98.122 is the publically routable address. The signature is fine.

·
Registered
slk 55
366 Posts
Finally got around to replacing my shattered fog light. Cost at my dealer for the part was only $125.05 (Ray Catena, Union, NJ)...wonder why there would be that big a difference in price from one dealer to another. Perhaps they dropped the price because the lights are selling so well :) What's really odd is that the dealer had two in stock...very surprising given that the '55 is such a low production volume car, and that the lights don't appear to be used on any other MB model. According to the receipt they gave me, that's the list price. I noticed on the replacement light that the build date appears to be 6/28/05. Given that it sounds like everyone that had a shattered light earlier this year had their car built around the same time, and that no one has had a replacement light shatter, my theory is that Hella supplied a bad batch of lights to MB...perhaps there was a glass problem, or perhaps there was another problem with the lights causing the glass to shatter. Just a theory. Hopefully none of us will experience a repeat of the problem.

·
Registered
slk 55
366 Posts
I installed the replacement light this morning. It's as easy as SLK55er said, a 15 minute job. The only difference is that the screws that hold the trim and light on my car are T15 instead of T20...guess they used whatever screws were laying around the factory :) One other item to note is that there is an adjusting screw allowing you to aim the lights higher or lower. If anyone feels their fog lights are aimed too high or low, the adjustment screw is easily accessed by removing the trim. Gordon, as always, thanks again for your assistance.

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
3,560 Posts
Mine are still intact... I have to say I haven't used them much. Been foggy only a few times in this place.

·
Registered
55 //AMG, Fireblade
327 Posts
OK, could anyone match these with a hella part number? Checked over the hella web site. Anyone bought one from anywhere.. I dont mind doing the install at all and I'm certainly not paying MB to do it.

the details again;

1N0 008 582-00
SAE F01
TN 98 02 B

·
Registered
55 //AMG, Fireblade
327 Posts
Finally! been talking with the dealer about this.. They only thought the full unit was available. but now the service depart have the front glass only for $21.. woohoo!

·
Registered
06 SLK 55 Firemist
1,580 Posts
Easty - 4/6/2006 2:51 PM

Finally! been talking with the dealer about this.. They only thought the full unit was available. but now the service depart have the front glass only for $21.. woohoo!
All right, could you please post the part number and install procedure.

·
Registered
06' SLK350
2,315 Posts
Easty - 4/6/2006 12:51 PM

$21 for a mercedes product??? Are you sure they didn't order you a piece of glass and expect you to cut it yourself. [:D]

·
Registered
132 Posts

sjcrash - 5/9/2005 11:01 PM

CP1 - 5/9/2005 4:48 PM

Fix your sign.
Yes it is. 192.168.2.7 is your private address. 24.175.98.122 is the publically routable address. The signature is fine.
No my address 127.0.0.1 and that maps to 1.0.0.127.in-addr.arpa. [;)]

·
Registered
SLK350
232 Posts
Ynot - 4/6/2006 5:27 PM

Easty - 4/6/2006 12:51 PM

$21 for a mercedes product??? Are you sure they didn't order you a piece of glass and expect you to cut it yourself. [:D]
This gotta be a part defect. I just noticed mine earlier this morning (left fog lens) and happen to see the same discussion here.

Mr. Easty, nice guy - part number please. [:D][:D][:D]

1 - 20 of 34 Posts