Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had experience with using the gps system when travelling a long distance? I will be travelling from Toronto to Southern Ohio and I have all the necessary CDs. But, I was wondering on how I program my destination correctly, so it will show me the path from Toronto and then all I have to do is replace the disc once i leave the region. <br>
I tried inserting the last disc first (the one with my destination) and then programming it... and then putting in the first disc, but it doesn't keep the route. Any help?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
You will need to re-enter the route when you cross each geographic CD region. Enter the correct CD and re route to the farthest area. Such as a border, until you have the geographic CD inserted in the region your final destination is in. Then route to the final destination.<br> <br> When the DVD system come out with the entire US and prob. Canada on it, it will be a lot better for travelers that enter and exit regions.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Will there ever be a CD with all of North America? Recently went from Southeern NJ to Cambridge, MA. Had to use 2 CD's. Not very convenient.<p>cg781087-e.adubn1.nj.home.com

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I travel from Toronto to Longboat Key, FL. For long distance travel, the Comand System is a very rudimentary, difficult, and slow to program, navigation system. MB does not provide all of the major highways on each disk, although there is plenty of room on the CD for them to have done so. Therefore you can only program to the end of each disc, then you need to stop, change discs and re-program to the end of the next disc, etc., etc. <br> I now use a Garmin 3 handheld GPS, feeding signal to a Toshiba Libretto Laptop which runs Microsoft Streets and Trips. It takes less time to put this system together, fasten it to the dashboard of my S430, and program it with the whole route for forty-five days of travel, than it takes to set up the Comand system to get me to the Peace Bridge. <br> Forget the Comand system. You, along with all of us who though MB had cutting-edge engineering, wasted our money on this system. Look at any other automobile nav system, i.e. BMW, Lexus, Jaguar, Porche, if you want to see nav systems that are better than those provided by MB to their customers.<p>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
True dat. My handheld Garmin eMap can take a 32MB memory card and memorize half of France, we're talking down to the hotels/gas stations/restaurants/alleyways, and give you directions...for $200 + about $100 per COUNTRY for the Map CD's. On 15 day trip to Nice/Burgundy/Paris, it worked great. The eMap also works in airplanes, trains, etc.<br> By comparison, COMAND sucks. OTOH, COMAND does well navigating to specific street addresses within the covered CD. Go figure. Maybe Garmin should offer a replacement head unit. Their aviation products only cost a few thousand bucks and include FAA-certified VOR nav and COM capabilities plus 3-axis autopilot interfaces.<br> <br> Imagine..Distronic + Garmin + COMAND..hell you could go in the back seat and sleep while the car drove to the destination without hitting anything!<p>adsl-64-218-85-92.dsl.stlsmo.swbell.net

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Comand is not really too good at street addresses. I find that Comand tells me that I have arrived when I turn into the street where I live, even though my house is several hundred metres from that corner. OTOH Garmin3 will bring me into my driveway.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts