Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
'08 ML320 CDI, '02 ML 320 sold @ 277,000 km
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having purchased an almost new DVD navigation unit on ebay which has since proven to be defective, I would like to pass on to others my experience, and provide some current repair pricing info.

This particular DVD nav unit was originally purchased and installed in an ML350 by an MBUSA dealer in 2005. In theory it has about 2 months of it's original 12 month warranty remaining.

The unit was subsequently removed then sold to me as a used unit. When problems were found with the unit, the seller kindly had the original MB dealer mail me a duplicate copy of the original invoice.

My MB dealer has confirmed that the unit is definitely defective. He accepted the invoice copy and contacted MB Canada to verify the warranty status.

Unfortunately the warranty is not transferrable to a new owner - the service manager showed me a page from a manual on warranty coverage that explicitly says that navigation units transferred from one vehicle to another are not covered. Perhaps things are different outside of Canada....

Others have recommended sending nav units to Alpine USA, where a flat fee of $160 is charged. I am sorry to say that the current price quoted by the repair centre is a flat fee of $320:( Also, Alpine will only accept a Mercedes nav unit for warranty repair if it is sent by an MB dealer.

Another option is a company listed on the Alpine web site as European Hi Tech. They charge a $25 diagnostic fee, which may be applied to the repair cost of the unit should you decide to proceed with the repairs.

I am still working with the ebay seller on what to do with this unit, but it is beginning to look like the cost of the used unit plus repairs may be almost the same as a new unit.....

Folks looking to buy a nav unit from a seller other than an MB dealer need to be very careful about the support they will recieve should the unit prove to be defective.

·
Banned
2,629 Posts
simple. return to the seller from ebay. he sold you something defective.. and if he admits to it, like you say, he is responsible for it. keep all correspondences, get your money back, and fight it with paypal if he disputes it.

·
Registered
10' CX-9 GT-AWD, 03' e39, 98' ML (gone but not forgotten)
433 Posts
Norm said:
Also, Alpine will only accept a Mercedes nav unit for warranty repair if it is sent by an MB dealer.
Perhaps you can work with the seller to have him/her initiate the warranty claim through the original installing dealer.

·
Registered
'08 ML320 CDI, '02 ML 320 sold @ 277,000 km
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
All's well that ends well...

:) just got good news from my seller. He says to ship the nav unit back to him and he will take care of the problem.

Having already replaced the original DVD, which many thought might have caused the problem, with a 2006.1 version DVD for a nominal sum, this guy is first rate.

Thanks to everyone who offered comments on my original posting.

·
Registered
2000 ML430, 2000 C280
920 Posts
That is good news, but one does have to wonder why someone was selling the DVD navigation unit in the first place. It is not as if someone upgraded to something newer and better. I'll bet that somebody got hold of it when it was originally returned as defective, and then tried to make a few bucks by reselling it. Buyer beware on Ebay!

Lucky for you that your seller is honest.

DelJ

Norm said:
:) just got good news from my seller. He says to ship the nav unit back to him and he will take care of the problem.

Having already replaced the original DVD, which many thought might have caused the problem, with a 2006.1 version DVD for a nominal sum, this guy is first rate.

Thanks to everyone who offered comments on my original posting.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts