Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard that the navigation system in my 2002 CLK 430 can be converted to also work as a television screen. I need to know if this is true or even possible. I heard that a converter can be used to bring in a TV signal, and also heard that it can be used with a DVD. Also someone said that in Europe the system has this TV function built into it. Any help would be great.<br>
<br>
Thanks in Advance

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
My knowledge is from 2002 C-Class (W203) so I don't know if it applies 100% ...<br> <br> - COMAND has a TV option, but the only TV module that exists for it is PAL (European TV broadcasting standard). <br> <br> - Only with this TV built in, you get 2 video inputs for VCR, video game or DVD. Take into account for the DVDs, that the screen is 4:3 and not 16:9 format.<br> <br> - If you order your car with the TV option, this costs you around $ 1000. If you order it later, it costs MINIMUM $ 3000, as they have to take almost your complete car apart for the cables and antenas.<br> <br> - The COMAND unit has an RGB video input, but it senses the TV unit on the optical B2B (or CAN) bus, so even if you manage to connect a signal you have a) no sound and b) can't switch to it (if you press the TV button on COMAND, it tells you that no TV is installed). According to one of the largest MB dealers in Switzerland, you can't fool the system. Even if you configure COMAND telling it, that the TV option is installed, it still tries to 'sense' it over the bus and if it's not there it doesn't switch to the RGB video input.<br> <br> - As far as I know, the US models of COMAND don't even have the TV button.<br> <br> As I say, this might be different for your car - but not too much I guess.<br> <br> By the way, if anyone knows about a trick to feed a video signal (ans sound) into COMAND, I know several people who would buy this immediately, as almost nobody wants to watch TV with comand, but many would like to connect their portable DVD players ...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts