Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With navigation/dvd/cd systems getting cheap, especially the ones wth foldable 7 in screens can be had for $150, I thought to install one. There are plenty of articles for installation instead of the head unit but I thought I can keep the head unit, with addition of AUX input, have the new DVD/CD/NAV plugged into that through AUX input and put this new unit instead of the phone. My car came with the phone which is in the little compartment on the dashboard, otherwise this compartment is empty. So I thought this would be the perfect palce for the screen to come out vertically. It would even be better to be able to hook up the car's mic and the speaker for the bluetooth (some of these new systems come bluetooth ready).

Has anyone ever attempted to do that? Does that seem doable?

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
Do you run a taxi, or otherwise need the nav system for negotiating daily driving? If so, you're on to something.

Since I don't run a taxi, and only occasionally need to look up an address, I have a small Garmin unit tucked into the center console that I pull out in that odd time when I don't know where I'm going. It fits perfectly, albeit temporarily, in front of the gear shift, up against the closed ash tray. And I keep a recharging cable in the glove box in case it runs out of charge.

Meanwhile, all looks stock and I have the utility of the nav system when I need.

Works perfectly!

·
Registered
7,218 Posts
This question comes up fairly often. There is not enough room to fit the screen into that compartment all the way. You can but it will stick out about 1.5 inches and you'll have to construct some kind of housing for it.

If your car is 1996/7+ and you have the newer climate control an option is to move the climate controls to the lower din where the radio currently is and put the flip-out screen in the top din so when you fold out the screen you're not blocking the AC controls.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Why don't you consider a 1-din navigation radio instead, like the Becker Cascade/Indianapolis? They're quite good and don't have the incovenience of having a big screen blocking the console

1 - 4 of 4 Posts