Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
SLK350
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Off on a little trip to Ireland on Monday and have been programming my route into the nav system. I initially programmed my final destination, Waterford, but the system took me via a different ferry port to the one I'm using. Is there a way to alter this. I tried using the 'VIA' function but it only gives vias on the programmed route and didn't have the other ferry terminal.

I have now programmed two destinations in, one to the ferry and one to Waterford. Just wondering if anyone has another suggestion for getting the route in as one?

I also noticed a bug in the system today which has disappeared tonight! I was trying to programme the route this afternoon and got a 'Can't read DVD - Please Check' message. Coudln't get rid of it! After leaving the car locked for a few hours and returning, all back to normal! First time it's happened but very odd. Anyone else experienced this?

·
Registered
'06 SLK55
307 Posts
Andy747 - 4/1/2006 3:05 PM
'Can't read DVD - Please Check' message. Coudln't get rid of it!
Did you check the disc, like the message said?

I've found ejecting/injecting the disc tends to help with nav issues.

·
Registered
SLK350
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeap, first thing I tried. It didn't solve the issue. As already mentioned, after leaving the car locked for a few hours seemed to clear the problem.

·
Registered
SLK 350
29 Posts
I've occasionally found the routing to be a bit awkward in choosing what IT thinks is the best route, with no regard to my choices.

However, as it does update itself based on your current position I will often now program a route but not start the guidance until I feel I will need it.
For example, if heading into central London I'll only activate the nav once I'm approaching the M25.

If you are fairly comfortable with your starting route toward the ferry port I would just wait and activate the nav once you come off the last motorway stretch / major road. Time it with maybe a fuel stop so you can double check the chosen route if you have any doubts about the nav, but in my experience it's OK from then. It's hardly likely to try to send you to Hollyhead ferry port if you're just outside Fishguard ferry port!

·
Registered
Volvo 940GLE, GMC Suburban, Infiniti I30, Toyota Prius, VW GTI, MB SLK350, Lexus IS250
1,063 Posts
Andy747 - 4/1/2006 1:05 PM

Hi All,

Off on a little trip to Ireland on Monday and have been programming my route into the nav system. I initially programmed my final destination, Waterford, but the system took me via a different ferry port to the one I'm using. Is there a way to alter this. I tried using the 'VIA' function but it only gives vias on the programmed route and didn't have the other ferry terminal.

I have now programmed two destinations in, one to the ferry and one to Waterford. Just wondering if anyone has another suggestion for getting the route in as one?

I also noticed a bug in the system today which has disappeared tonight! I was trying to programme the route this afternoon and got a 'Can't read DVD - Please Check' message. Coudln't get rid of it! After leaving the car locked for a few hours and returning, all back to normal! First time it's happened but very odd. Anyone else experienced this?
Just program the final destination and drive towards your preferred ferry, it will eventually adjust to the route you want. This is similar for most GPS units. As it can't adjust to your preferences based on a simple shortest route or fastest time settings.

There is a TSB for the GPS DVD drive unit. The "no disc.." error message happened to me and they replaced the drive unit.

·
Registered
SLK 350 AMG
128 Posts
It may be a bit cumbersome, but you can programme in a series of stop-overs, which should give you a more direct route. Also, you can specify roads you want to "block" - thereby avoiding those detours that the NAV wants to take you.

The instructions for entering these steps are specified somewhere in the COMAND book - though I've never actually tried them myself. Has anyone else had any success in route programming using stop-overs and blocks?

·
Registered
SLK350
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies. Think I'll leave it as two destinations! I've saved the ferry port and final destination in Waterford so it will be easy to select when at the other side.

Interesting about the DVD being replaced. As mentioned, this is the first time it's happened. I'll see what happens next week when I use it in anger!

·
Registered
SLK 350 (2006)
421 Posts
Essellkay350 - 4/2/2006 3:49 AM

It may be a bit cumbersome, but you can programme in a series of stop-overs, which should give you a more direct route. ...
Actualy, unbelievably, you can only have one stop-over. THE stop-over is apparently intended for things like going to a restaurant or gas station that is off the route.

Doesn't really look like this nav system is intended for long trips where you want to specify things to see along the way.

I can do that on my Toyota Sienna which has a MUCH better navigation system. In addition to many other things that it does better than the Benz, I can ADD destinations to a current route and it will figure out the way to get from one to the next. In fact, when you add a new destination to the current route, it actually gives you a list of all current destinations by name and indicates where you might be able to add this destination in the list and gives you a buttons at each of those possible locations. So it is easy to add the "stop-overs" and control their order.

Maybe I didn't explain that very well, but I am a programmer by profession and the NAV system on the Toyota is VERY well designed. The Benz one on the other hand is not nearly as well designed.

I DO, however, really like being able to see the navigation "hints" that are in the MFD on the Benz. That is a definite plus for ease of use.

I am thinking of driving to Banff and Jasper this summer from Western New York. I wish I had the Toyota Nav in the Benz. I think what I may have to do is look at a map and store destinations for each leg of the trip. Then, as I travel, I can put in the closest one, and then when I get there, select the next closest one, etc. Really an unbelievable oversite on our NAV IMHO.

Another thing I think may be difficult is telling the nav to go AROUND cities on by-pass routes. I suspect if I put a city in as a destination, it will take me to the center of the city. It will be an interesting trip [:)]

·
Registered
Volvo 940GLE, GMC Suburban, Infiniti I30, Toyota Prius, VW GTI, MB SLK350, Lexus IS250
1,063 Posts
mtiede - 4/2/2006 5:35 AM

...Doesn't really look like this nav system is intended for long trips where you want to specify things to see along the way...

...I can do that on my Toyota Sienna which has a MUCH better navigation system... [:)]
The 2 factory Nav we have are similar to yours, the SLK350 and a new Lexus IS250. Although I have not taken a long trip in either one yet, the Toyota unit (Denso??) definitely is easier to use than the Harman/Becker unit in the SLK. Some of it may simply be the 2004 and 2006 vintage difference.

Having owned many Garmin units including the newer 2610 and the newest GPS10/Treo650, the ability to work on waypoints and stopovers on the PC then entered into the GPS is very useful. But there are no consortium to get all the GPS and car manufacturers to standardize on the format and the transfer mechanism such as USB and Bluetooth.

I tried the Garmin GPS10/Treo650 in Boston in a rental car last week. The GPS worked perfectly but the Treo650/Que program made several errors. I keep having this horror of leaving my GPS10 stuck to the rental car roof.

Curiously, while the IS250 has superior GPS and Bluetooth functionality, they only give you an AUX input for the IPOD. At least the MB IPOD kit gives you display and wheel buttons.

What is for sure is that all kind of manufacturers give you less than perfect products and take your money anyway. This is not limited to our SLKs.

·
Registered
SLK 350 (2006)
421 Posts
CalifSLK - 4/2/2006 3:30 PM

... Some of it may simply be the 2004 and 2006 vintage difference....
My better NAV is in the older 2005 Sienna. The newer NAV in the 2006 SLK 350 is not as good.

It just amazes me that such a basic feature as planning a trip with stops along the way doesn't appear to be something they thought of. Oh well...

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
mtiede - 4/2/2006 2:52 PM

CalifSLK - 4/2/2006 3:30 PM

... Some of it may simply be the 2004 and 2006 vintage difference....
My better NAV is in the older 2005 Sienna. The newer NAV in the 2006 SLK 350 is not as good.

It just amazes me that such a basic feature as planning a trip with stops along the way doesn't appear to be something they thought of. Oh well...
Yes your are right about the car production age. But most equipment on a car change little until the next major platform change or facelift. So your 2006 and my 2005 SLK basically have the same Nav from the 2004 intro date. Your Sienna started the model change from 2004 also. My 2006 IS250 is a new platform so it has all new equipment including the reverse camera borrowed from the Sienna and wireless keys.

Likely 2007 SLK will get all new Telematics equipment along with the facelift. If they planned a 7 years run as in the R170, 3 years is about the right time for a facelift.

My wish is a MB factory GPS made by Garmin. My friend at Harmon International said that the aftermarket Becker units have much more functions.

·
Registered
2006 SLK 350
919 Posts
CalifSLK - 4/2/2006 3:33 PM

Likely 2007 SLK will get all new Telematics equipment along with the facelift. If they planned a 7 years run as in the R170, 3 years is about the right time for a facelift.
I wouldn't bank on the R171 getting NTG2 equipment quite that quickly. Heck, the R170 didn't see much in the way of telematics upgrades in it's entire run. Anyone have any hands-on with the new S-class (NTG2) navigation?

I think that the basic design (if not actual implmentation) has remained pretty static since the MCS days, as far as our Nav equipment goes.

As for route planning, I guess I'll get a chance to see how well or not this works when I take a trip between home and Henderson, NV later this month (about 1,100 miles round trip). I'm not really planning many stop-overs on the way down, but might take an extra day or two coming back.

When it comes to route planning, though, I don't believe any navigation system -- though I don't make any particular appologies for some of the more annoying interface design of the MB setup -- can actually provide enough information for my tastes. For me, it's off to the Internet to better determine potential points of interest. I only need to depend on the Nav to get me to them. I agree with the earlier post that I will likely pre-enter the destinations for the stopover points I want, and then add each as a stop-over into my overall route as they come up on my plan. That is, enter final destination and first stop-over, to be replaced by another stop-over once I'm ready to head out from the first/previous one.

Personally, I don't find this too objectionable, as I don't tend to take so many long trips. But I suppose I might look at it differently if I did.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
It is really a matter of available engineering resources, priority and competitive pressure whether to do a NTG2 update for this car vs something else.

If the Z4 gets an attractive update and sales of SLK sags, then MB may do more for the R171 to protect the sunk cost payback.

When I went to buy the IS250, clearly Infiniti was under pressure. So they discounted the G35 a lot more. The C class is in the same situation. An older platform with lots of competition.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts