Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2000E-320 4-Matic
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of making this my "winter" project. Has anyone undertaken this in an "e" and if so what parts did you use.
Does anyone have the part numbers for the navigation unit itself. I assume it is used in other models other than the e class but getting a straight answer from the dealer is not easy.
Also wondering if the trim panel for around the nav is even available for cars without heated seats. I believe this is all on the same panel? (haven't driven it since this brain storm) If it is not made then I have another issue![V]
Thanks for your help,

·
Registered
CLK55/G500/E55/ML55/etc.
1,242 Posts
There's a lot of ingormation available on the Internet, including this site. I think all ...

There's a lot of ingormation available on the Internet, including this site. I think all your questions would be answered if you did a search.

To answer two of your questions, 1) the COMAND models are specific to the chassis of your vehicle (e.g. the W210 COMAND is not used in the W203), and 2) the trim panel around the nav is available for cars without heated seats, since heated seats are not a requirement for having COMAND. (I found these answers on a search engine.)

-s-

·
Registered
2000E-320 4-Matic
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. As for finding info on the net... I have found ML and CLK that have h...

Thanks for the info. As for finding info on the net... I have found ML and CLK that have had this done but not e class. And as you point out they all use different units based on chassis. So still I have nothing. Is there something I should search under to find an e class conversion? Thanks
[8D]

·
Registered
2002 C230k
1,246 Posts
This may be of interest: http://www.benzworld.org/forums/messages.asp?messno=1834&id=5&...

This may be of interest: http://www.benzworld.org/forums/messages.asp?messno=1834&id=5&view=t

·
Registered
2000E-320 4-Matic
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks! That helps. Now I just need to find the parts...

Thanks! That helps. Now I just need to find the parts...

·
Registered
2002 C230k
1,246 Posts
Parts

Try Steve Krabbenborg, www.mbenz.nl He can get all sorts of hard to find parts at good prices.

·
Registered
2002 E55
70 Posts
Part numbers

That John J who did the retrofit is me. Here is the link to the picture and part numbers http://www.benzworld.org/gallery/showlink.asp?CatID=336&parentID=30&subname=John`s_E55&parentname=W210_E_Class The wood panel need to be order from the dealer and you will need to be specific with what options/ buttons you have. Or else you will end up with an expensive $300 wood veneered panel. You can and probably should buy the Comand 2.0 unit from Steve since he is extremely reliable. I recently bought another Comand for my wife's 2001 CLK55 for the retrofit. The Comand part# are 210 820 5589 for US model and 2108205489 and 2108205689 for European model. European model has activated TV function and US model does not.

The most difficult thing to do with an E-class retrofit is to remove the existing radio mount and insert the new Comand mount. Rest of the job is pretty elementary. Good luck
[:)]

John

·
Registered
MBs
2,656 Posts
Anyone tried a W140 navigation install?

Does MB sell a dash wood piece for it? W140s in Japan had COMAND as far as I know. The M-Class DVD NAVI should fit into the same slot...

·
Registered
2000E-320 4-Matic
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks again for the info. If i am understanding correctly, the euro radio AM will not wor...

Thanks again for the info. If i am understanding correctly, the euro radio AM will not work in the states? Otherwise they are the same?
Thanks!

·
Registered
2002 C230k
1,246 Posts
The Euro AM radio sort of works.

The US AM band is 530 Khz to 1710 Khz with 10 Khz station spacing. The Euro AM band is 531 Khz to 1600 Khz with 9 Khz spacing. For example, I listen to 1430 at 1431 on my Euro COMAND. How good the reception is depends on how close the US station is to the nearest Euro frequency, and how powerful that station is.

·
Registered
2000E-320 4-Matic
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So is euro the way to go? Would you do euro again in retrospect?

So is euro the way to go? Would you do euro again in retrospect?

·
Registered
2000E-320 4-Matic
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
BTW... how did you come up with the part numbers or figure this all out? My dealer wants N...

BTW... how did you come up with the part numbers or figure this all out? My dealer wants NO part in this project... I mean NONE. Do you a total list of parts required?
As always thanks
[:D]

·
Registered
2002 C230k
1,246 Posts
I bought a Euro COMAND mainly because it was all that Steve had at the time. Secondaril...

I bought a Euro COMAND mainly because it was all that Steve had at the time. Secondarily, I wanted something that was a little different. I liked the idea of it speaking with a British accent. I really don't listen much to AM radio, although 1430 just changed to a format I like. I do miss the weather band. I did use that on the stock radio. The long wave band on the Euro COMAND is completely useless in the US.

Functionally, there is little difference. The Euro unit can be set to give distances in meters/kilometers or yards/miles. I believe the North American unit can be set for meters/kilometers or feet/miles. It is harder to set the time in the Euro unit because it does not have the proper time zones. Also, because it doesn't have the proper time zones, it cannot automatically change from Standard Time to Daylight Time.

Currently, Steve's price for a NA unit for a W203 is lower than the price for the Euro unit. At this time, I would probably chose the NA, just because I wish to spend the difference on other mods for the car. I do like that British accent, though.[;)]

Almost forgot. Steve sells an RGB connector for the Euro COMANDS with allow video sources to be connected easily.

·
Registered
2000E-320 4-Matic
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Did you have steve install your unit or did you do it yourself?

Did you have steve install your unit or did you do it yourself?

·
Registered
2002 C230k
1,246 Posts
I had Steve install it.

I paid his airfare from St. Louis to CA., and for one night in a hotel.

·
Registered
CLK55/G500/E55/ML55/etc.
1,242 Posts
Re: Anyone tried a W140 navigation install?

Does MB sell a dash wood piece for it? W140s in Japan had COMAND as far as I know. The M-Class DVD NAVI should fit into the same slot...
Hey Wolfgang, I've been itching to try a W140. Want to volunteer?

From pictures, the best I can tell is that you'll need some wood trim pieces... and who knows.

-s-

1 - 16 of 16 Posts