Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2006 E 350, 1994 E 320, 1995 E 320
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a 2006 E350. The data base in the navigation unit is seriously lacking. I noticed there is a newer version 9. If I purchase this newer DVD, will it run just by changing out the DVD in the trunk? I saw something about possibly having to run/install an upgrade service DVD first.

Is the data base in the newer version DVD any better than the one I have?

·
Registered
1985 300CD Turbo coupe, 2006 E320 CDI sedan
573 Posts
I just popped the old one out, shoved the new one in. Plenty of false "off road" periods with the old one, haven't experienced any (yet) with the new one. Pricey disc though, folks who don't range too far away from home probably could use the money for something more relevant.

//greg//

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Greg. I tried to eject the old one last night and it didn't come out, not sure why. I see a little light light up and hear some sounds like it's trying, but nothing happens. Pretty sure there's one in there or my Navigation system wouldn't be working. I didn't play with it for very long, just hit the eject button a couple times.

·
Super Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
22,982 Posts
I just popped the old one out, shoved the new one in. Plenty of false "off road" periods with the old one, haven't experienced any (yet) with the new one. Pricey disc though, folks who don't range too far away from home probably could use the money for something more relevant.

//greg//
+1 on that. If somebody wants to see if a disc is worth it the Navteq website
actually lists what was changed on an update disc state by state. The latest
disc had only two changes for my state and in a part of the state I very rarely
get to.

·
Registered
1985 300CD Turbo coupe, 2006 E320 CDI sedan
573 Posts
I tried to eject the old one last night and it didn't come out, not sure why.
Happened to me too, seems the DVD player is designed along the lines of the CD magazine; push & hold to eject. Mine anyway, can't hurt to try

//greg//

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Happened to me too, seems the DVD player is designed along the lines of the CD magazine; push & hold to eject. Mine anyway, can't hurt to try

//greg//
I was able to get it to eject last night. I started the car, hit the MAP button, went to the trunk and hit eject. The DVD pops out for a few seconds and then goes back in. I grabbed it the second time I tried it, no problem. Not sure why having the car running made a difference since the unit obviously had power without the car running (saw lights and heard DVD motor running when I hit eject button). :thumbsup:

·
Banned
2007 E350 4Matic P2; 2008 GL320 CDI P2
20,147 Posts
. . Not sure why having the car running made a difference since the unit obviously had power without the car running (saw lights and heard DVD motor running when I hit eject button). :thumbsup:
Maybe some level of security that the person taking the disk actually owns it? (just a wild ass guess)

·
Registered
2006 E-350 Sedan
12 Posts

//greg//
Hi, Grohgreg,
My navigation won't go off, even after turning the engine off. When The radio is playing, every other minute she says "make a Uturn." Very annoying. Also the message on the screen says check NAV Disc in trunk (this message will not disappear); therefore my map is now gone as well. Where exactly is that located in the trunk? I have the original navigation disc which was never that great. I just want to completely remove it. Also there must be a connection to the CD player because that no longer Ejects and the CDs songs skips. I'm sorry I didn't buy a Lexis. My husband has a 2005 Lexus with 114,000 miles on it No problems at all with his NAV or CD player. My 2006 Mercedes (with only 73,000 miles) transmission chip went up last year and cost me $5000. The repair man said it was an electronic part. Also I never knew you had to have a key to get in to the transmission; therefore, you must take it to a dealer. I love the aesthetic quality of the car, but they don't make them like they used to. My brother-in-law has a 25-year-old Mercedes S body with nearly 300,000 miles and still going strong.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts