Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2011 R350 (W251)
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been doing a lot of online reading on MCS navigation drive. And I'm more confused than ever. My main goal is to install navigation on my 2003 ML350. I've seen the drives on ebay but almost always the CD version. Need some bottom line questions answered for all you that can help. Here they are:

1) Will both DVD and CD nav drive work on 2003 ML350?

2) For the 2003, is it just a plug and play? Info I've read for older than 2003 requires new antenna and wiring. And I thought I read somewhere that for 2003, it's just a plug in.

3) Do I need to take it into the dealer for programing?

4) And the question of the day, where can I purchase a drive other than ebay?

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
2000 ML430
657 Posts
1) Will both DVD and CD nav drive work on 2003 ML350?
Yes
2) For the 2003, is it just a plug and play? Info I've read for older than 2003 requires new antenna and wiring. And I thought I read somewhere that for 2003, it's just a plug in.
Yes
3) Do I need to take it into the dealer for programing?
I do not think so.... but I might be wrong someone else can chime in....
4) And the question of the day, where can I purchase a drive other than ebay?
You can go to your dealer Parts counter or call www.mbdoctor.com if you do not see it on their website or search the group buy section I saw someone selling the DVD drives sometime ago there.

·
Registered
2002 ML320
338 Posts
I believe that a few people on the forum had to go to the dealer to get the voice prompt turned on. I had no problems though...it did take some time to acquire enough satellites the first time around.

·
Registered
2002 ML 320
74 Posts
I have a 2002 ML320 that did not have NAV when I bought it new. I bought it on eBay and had it installed at a local independent Mercedes repair shop for $65 including sound, etc. I made sure that the NAV disk came with my unit although it can be bought seperately. As best I remember, I was able to buy the NAV unit and disk for about $700. When I researched buying the unit I was told there was a big difference in DVD as opposed to the multiple CD's required for an extended trip. After having my unit for a little over a year, I would suggest strongly that you only consider the NAV unit, not the CD. Good luck, you will really enjoy this feature.
Bob

·
Registered
2011 R350 (W251)
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies! Good info. I did call a dealer who quoted me $1500 for the drive and $300 for the DVD disk. $700 sure looks good to me. Tried mbdoctor.com and could not get through. Something about bandwidth. Please let me know if anyone has any other suggestions where I may purchase the drvie.

Thanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts