Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
02 G500
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys i have been looking on ebay at the disk for the navigation. Seem like there are differnt one for different cars.

How do i know which one will work on a 2002 G500. I have decided after 2.5 years i should probably buy a disk so the navigation will work [xx(]

·
Registered
2016 G550 & 2016 350 GLE
705 Posts
I got one with my Gwagen when I bought it for the SE. The trouble is ....the disc is not current. They offered a set of six last year that covered the entire USA. About $150 for the set "on Sale"
Now for the kicker...they have changed the format from CDs to CD-DVD in the new models, or so I was told this week at the dealership, and the new ones may or may not work in our older models.
Chances are, you will not get a set of CDs, but keep trying.

·
Registered
111.010 121.942 202.033
1,850 Posts
GwagenLover - 5/13/2005 8:13 PM

I got one with my Gwagen when I bought it for the SE. The trouble is ....the disc is not current. They offered a set of six last year that covered the entire USA. About $150 for the set "on Sale"
Now for the kicker...they have changed the format from CDs to CD-DVD in the new models, or so I was told this week at the dealership, and the new ones may or may not work in our older models.
Chances are, you will not get a set of CDs, but keep trying.
Check with NavTech. They should still be available in the future.

·
Registered
G320 & E500
1,193 Posts
I don't have a Nav system, but can the disks be copied?

Chuck

·
Registered
2016 G550 & 2016 350 GLE
705 Posts
RE:Copy????

I tried....Borrowed a set from a friend and gave it my best shot. They will not copy. Sorry[}:)]

·
Registered
TJs, FJ40s, JGCs, G500
2,343 Posts

Kerr,

Nav CD sets out of any MB, any year (except early S-Class Nav systems) will work in your 2002 G500.

However, the MB Nav system is lousy and extremely limited. A $200 consumer GPS has more features and is more useful than the MB system.

THE MB Nav menue is cumbersome to navigate, does not work properly with larger tires, is not able to learn new features, does not show elevation, does not import data from other CDs, does not save routes, does not save relevant waypoits etc. etc.
My street (even though on the map since the 1950's) is not on the CD and my screen tells me I am driving off road. I can not save (thus calculate distances) from the turn off of my street from the next known highway. I can not save the location of my house. MB Nav stinks!

Harald

·
Registered
111.010 121.942 202.033
1,850 Posts

4x4abc - 5/14/2005 3:17 PM

Kerr,

Nav CD sets out of any MB, any year (except early S-Class Nav systems) will work in your 2002 G500.

However, the MB Nav system is lousy and extremely limited. A $200 consumer GPS has more features and is more useful than the MB system.

THE MB Nav menue is cumbersome to navigate, does not work properly with larger tires, is not able to learn new features, does not show elevation, does not import data from other CDs, does not save routes, does not save relevant waypoits etc. etc.
My street (even though on the map since the 1950's) is not on the CD and my screen tells me I am driving off road. I can not save (thus calculate distances) from the turn off of my street from the next known highway. I can not save the location of my house. MB Nav stinks!

Harald
HOLD ON! Not quite true. The MLs use a different CDRom. If you make the purchase get the 2004 or 2005 disks. Earlier disks can be copied w/ Nero and there has been some success w/ the newer disks but I'm not sure it is a wise idea. This could be an urban legend, but apparently the burned nav disks spin faster and will wear out the unit. No idea if this is true.

·
Registered
2004 G55 AMG
65 Posts
I'll give my COMAND DX disc a shot tonight - I'd be shocked if I couldn't rip it (after all, almost anything can be ripped if it's the same physical format). A CD-ROM's a CD-ROM. Unless you mess with the way the disc is laid out, it's just a matter of telling the drive to pull data from strange locations.

I used to use a program called DiscJuggler for old Dreamcast discs - they were problematic, but it could be done. Stay tuned!

·
Registered
02 G500
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks guys.

I would just like to have them. I bought the car out of atlanta GA, and i live in VA so i have only been able to use it once in two years.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts