Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just imported GL 450 (2007) from the USA to Dubai. As there was no navigation DVD in the system, I went today to the local dealership to get the Middle East Navigation DVD, but they told that before buying the DVD I should change "the control unit" in my car so that the navigation would work in Dubai. Is that a must? Has anyone had similar experience? Any advice? The guy told me that they would charge me from 8000$ to 10000$ to change that control unit!!! :mad: Of course, I did not agree to their service.

·
Registered
70 Posts
You should order a new DVD for that country. Navteq.com lists all countries on their website, however looks like they do not sell direct anymore. They want you to order through your dealer. I just updated my DVD from them for $199.

Pete

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You should order a new DVD for that country. Navteq.com lists all countries on their website, however looks like they do not sell direct anymore. They want you to order through your dealer. I just updated my DVD from them for $199.

Pete
Thaks Pete,

I will try to get one. The DVD in the local delearship costs 740$. Not cheap indeed.

·
Registered
10,427 Posts

Pete
Are you sure that is enough? Why do they put a temporary navi unit for European delivery cars when driven in Europe? I'm afraid you would have to change the Comand unit too, I would do it for $10 000, including flight tickets. :)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Not sure. USA car. I understand in Europe the commands a programed different for the radio stations but GPS should be the same worldwide. You would think.

Pete

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not sure. USA car. I understand in Europe the commands a programed different for the radio stations but GPS should be the same worldwide. You would think.

Pete
They told me about the radio stations differenly programmed in USA, but I do not care about the radio, and I am not sure that they are not misleading me. I called another dealer and he told me that the Navi should work if I put in the DVD. I guess I'll buy one and then see what happens.

·
Registered
10,427 Posts
They told me about the radio stations differenly programmed in USA, but I do not care about the radio, and I am not sure that they are not misleading me. I called another dealer and he told me that the Navi should work if I put in the DVD. I guess I'll buy one and then see what happens.
You would anyway have to buy a DVD, so you would not lose if you test it.

Most cars have a different (incompatible) head unit for the US market compared to ROW. EPC shows a 494 option for the GL too, so don't be upset if it does not work.

GPS as such works everywhere the same, the problem is with other HU related features that are market area dependent.

·
Registered
41 Posts
eBay

You can get a Nav-teq DVD on eBay for about $59.00 USD, cheap test item before you dive in to an expensive purchase.

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
10,864 Posts

Pete
Supporting Diesel Benz' comment, NavTeq may not sell direct in all countries, but they do sell direct in the U.S. (though that may not help the original poster). I just completed my purchase of the new '09 USA disc, no problems.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Today, I tried to use Middle East DVD map (part number: B67823882) but the system says “Cannot read the DVD”. Apparently, the system in the car is set for region 1 (USA and Canada) and the DVD that I tried to use is set for region 2 (Middle East). Can anyone advise me which DVD MAP would work in the car in Dubai? Will the DVD with a part number B67823940 work in the car in Dubai? What does the last number "0" stand for in the part? Does it indicate that it works in all regions? Or should I use some other DVD? Please, help!

·
Registered
10,427 Posts
Today, I tried to use Middle East DVD map (part number: B67823882) but the system says “Cannot read the DVD”. Apparently, the system in the car is set for region 1 (USA and Canada) and the DVD that I tried to use is set for region 2 (Middle East). Can anyone advise me which DVD MAP would work in the car in Dubai? Will the DVD with a part number B67823940 work in the car in Dubai? What does the last number "0" stand for in the part? Does it indicate that it works in all regions? Or should I use some other DVD? Please, help!
Region coding does not apply for Navigation discs.

The current disc for a new GL should be B67823170, for an older one B67823897 (for your region). I don't have old part numbers and could not recognise your part number.

Edited: Fixed part numbers, I had Asian parts previously. the 3882 part is an older Middle East/South Africa part number for NTG2.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Region coding does not apply for Navigation discs.

The current disc for a new GL should be B67823169, for an older one B67823912 (for your region). I don't have old part numbers and could not recognise your part number.
I have no idea why then they sell these disks here in Dubai. The strange think is that the Command could not read the DVD. I will ask if they have the ones that you mentioned.

·
Registered
10,427 Posts
I have no idea why then they sell these disks here in Dubai. The strange think is that the Command could not read the DVD. I will ask if they have the ones that you mentioned.
Note my mistake above, you have the correct disc for your area, just not the very latest one.

I assume the device does not read the disc as it is made to be compatible with US discs. What would be the value if it did recognise the disc but would not use it, other than that the owner would know that the disc works but is not the right one for this particular device. I'm sure the correct head unit would read your current disc fine.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Note my mistake above, you have the correct disc for your area, just not the very latest one.

I assume the device does not read the disc as it is made to be compatible with US discs. What would be the value if it did recognise the disc but would not use it, other than that the owner would know that the disc works but is not the right one for this particular device. I'm sure the correct head unit would read your current disc fine.
That is the question that I am trying to resolve: if I find a way for the command to read the DVD, would the navigation work or I still will have to do something else? And is it possible to replace the US head unit in the command with the local one? Would the system work then?

·
Registered
10,427 Posts
That is the question that I am trying to resolve: if I find a way for the command to read the DVD, would the navigation work or I still will have to do something else? And is it possible to replace the US head unit in the command with the local one? Would the system work then?
I believe the head unit already reads the DVD but responds like it does because it is not a good DVD for this particular device.

I don't know the HW differences between the US and ROW head units but if there was a way to flash a Euro SW to the US device, I'm sure the retrofit experts would offer that service instead of suggesting a HU swap.

The last sentence already answered your question about replacing the head unit, a local one can be installed, it likely needs to be coded in (mainly MOST ring initialisation).

1 - 20 of 35 Posts