Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2006 SLK 350
Joined
·
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going on a 1000km trip next Thursday. I entered the destination (which is not on the list) into the Navigation system via geo coordinates. This destination is major city but it does not appear on the digital map. As I said before, MB’s Navigation system is extemely incomplete when it comes to my part of the world. The system has recorded the coordinates but will it take me there with normal instructions or will it only display an off-road message with direction arrows? These arrows are absolutely useless IMHO. What is the best solution to this problem?

I am sure the Navigation system is great for the US and some other countries but here in Québec only a few streets in a few cities are mapped. This costly feature is a complete disappointement as far as I am concerned... Unless there is a way I can use the geo coordinates, I have no use for the Navigation system.
 

·
Registered
2006 SLK 350
Joined
·
502 Posts
Zut:

Very good question. I have input cooridnates for specific destinations, and it appears that it knows how best to get there. In my limited expereince with really using the NAV for addresses is that it knows the turns to get to a point once you have it marked via coordinates or by marking the point, even though it might not have the street names in its database for finding a point. Does that make any sense? It just tells you right or left until it really gets to a point where your final destination is truly not mapped at all.

I find its knowledge of restaurants or POIs to be tremendous in the metro St. Louis area, it found restaurants for me very close to home that I didn't know existed, and also restaurants in very rural Illinois even though it didn't even have the town name in its database except by POI. (Not sure about that last part)

I have a NAV system in my other car that is much better at finding addresses, but doesn't have the database of POIs that I like. But that is the car I use generally for trips, so i haven't fooled around with the NAV enough in the SLK to be really critical of it ... yet!



Zut said:
I am going on a 1000km trip next Thursday. I entered the destination (which is not on the list) into the Navigation system via geo coordinates. This destination is major city but it does not appear on the digital map. As I said before, MB’s Navigation system is extemely incomplete when it comes to my part of the world. The system has recorded the coordinates but will it take me there with normal instructions or will it only display an off-road message with direction arrows? These arrows are absolutely useless IMHO. What is the best solution to this problem?

I am sure the Navigation system is great for the US and some other countries but here in Québec only a few streets in a few cities are mapped. This costly feature is a complete disappointement as far as I am concerned... Unless there is a way I can use the geo coordinates, I have no use for the Navigation system.
 

·
Registered
2006 SLK 350
Joined
·
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
apbaphil said:
Zut:

I have input cooridnates for specific destinations, and it appears that it knows how best to get there.
I think this is right as long as the coordinates correspond to locations that actually appear on the map. The problem with this Nav system is that the moment you go off the mapped areas, it displays an off-road message and you have to rely on the arrows to get to your destination. A mere compass would do as good a job.
 

·
Registered
SLK350 (apr 15)
Joined
·
673 Posts
If the nav unit knows where the roads are, it'll likely navigate to the given point just fine. If it doesn't know where the roads are ... it won't.
 

·
Registered
2006 SLK 350
Joined
·
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
RonJeffries said:
If the nav unit knows where the roads are, it'll likely navigate to the given point just fine. If it doesn't know where the roads are ... it won't.
This is exactly what I was afraid of...
 

·
Registered
Volvo 940GLE, GMC Suburban, Infiniti I30, Toyota Prius, VW GTI, MB SLK350, Lexus IS250
Joined
·
1,063 Posts
Try a Garmin Streetpilot 26xx, 27xx and 28xx series. I have a 2610 in my other car and it is much more useful than the Command/Nav in the SLK.
 

·
Registered
2006 SLK 350
Joined
·
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
CalifSLK said:
Try a Garmin Streetpilot 26xx, 27xx and 28xx series. I have a 2610 in my other car and it is much more useful than the Command/Nav in the SLK.
Thanks for the tip. I know there are some good nav systems on the market but I have already paid 4,205$ for the premium sound/navigation package and I am not ready to invest more at this point. My only hope is that the next version of the navigation DVD will be a little more complete.
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top