Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Administrator
1998 Pano SL500; 1993 SL500; 2005 ML270cdi
8,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've posted this in the audio forum too but so far no response :(

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I should upgrade to from the original TelePilot APS system shown in the attached photo? Preferably something that doesn't require to much hacking around of the console, and also a model that can utilise the existing wiring and antenna.

Thanks for any advice.

click image to enlarge

Attachments

·
Registered
2000 Obsidian Black Metallic Mercedes SL 320 V6
4,527 Posts
Well RedLiner I think you can update your HU with pretty much anything on the market without rewiring anything. Since your car as already a GPS antenna probably with Fakra connectors you might have a look on Ebay and consider one of the units that have the monitor that comes out and have navigation capabilities too and also Bluetooth connection so you could also get id of the BT interface you have now.
The one in this LINK seems to be a nice replacement. he only thing you might need is the radio antenna adapter but that goes for 1 or 2 Euros or so. 5 at worst.

Cheers.

·
Administrator
8,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Mick that unit looks very nice, tons of features too.

I would still have to buy a compatible GPS box and fit it somewhere though.

The £55 shipping charge is a bit heavy I think!

·
Registered
4,527 Posts
Thanks Mick that unit looks very nice, tons of features too.

I would still have to buy a compatible GPS box and fit it somewhere though.

The £55 shipping charge is a bit heavy I think!
With these units shipping is pretty much always heavy because it's usually shipped directly from China or Hong Kong or far East in general. Mind you that that unit I showed you is only one of the thousand you can find on Ebay so take a lot of time searching Ebay for the features you really need. While browsing I spotted a few with GPS capabilities or even built in DVB-TV but I didn't know what you were truly looking for in the replacement unit you want.
If you don't mind listing the features you want, I can have a look there and see what's around or even better if you want we can have a look at that when we meet in UK in two weeks.
Always remember that not all those units have RDS especially those sold in America or Canada because RDS is not used in the American continent.
Almost all of them have built in Bluetooth and DVD Divx playing capability and are GPS ready and a lot of them have USB and SD/MMC readers but not all of them.
It ill take some time to find the right one for you but as always hat you are looking is out there, just use time and patience.

Happy hunting.

Cheers.

·
Administrator
8,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Administrator
8,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not that easy apparently :(

I've just read through this article and it seems a very daunting task, not as plug and play as I thought..... Retrofitiing COMAND to Mercedes Benz Vehicles

Can someone tell me what Nav system was fitted to the very last 2002 R129's (picture if possible)?

·
Registered
07 SL350, 14 BMW320, 05 SLK and 4.6 MGBV8
745 Posts
I do not believe the 129 was ever fitted with a satnav as a factory item.

I have seen several fitted into the console of various degrees of professionalism - Gus' being at the higher end. As you have noted, retrofitting a Command is not easy.

It is a pity I did not show you my VDO setup - it was in the car i think when we were last together - it really was good, but only if you use the nav as a background item.

I have another solution you could try, it is using a touch screen VDO PN6000 which was my latest attempt but stupidly I never took a photo, but I will bring the assembly down on the 26th for you to see. basically it is a moulding I made that sat in the centre flip-up compartment on the dash with the screen cowl moulded back onto the dash.

·
Registered
4,527 Posts
RedLiner I don't want to freeze you enthusiasm about fitting a COMAND unit to your car but you are facing a nightmare of biblical proportions.
Everything is possible but the amount of money needed would be far more than our body parts together and the amount of problems you might face would be higher than Mount Everest.

- First, the R129 doesn't have a CAN-BUS other than for the CD Changer if I'm right so you would have to buy a CAN-BUS adapter that is not very expensive but it has to be bought.

- Second, a COMAND unit is far more expensive even used than some of the units I suggested you in my previous post

- Third, a COMAND unit is about 30 cms wide and that's not going to fit in the R129 console unless you do extensive work.

- Fourth, a COMAND unit is pretty heavy so you could need to build a strong supporting frame inside the center console.

When I needed to replace my COMAND unit in my CL 500 (long story) the electrician took almost a whole day (and €200 but all earned) to connect the unit to the phone, the TV tuner (in the trunk) to the double radio tuner to the instrument cluster and steering wheel buttons to the GPS antenna and so on and mine is a D2B unit that has the in-built GPS.

In my opinion you'd be better with a single-DIN touch screen flip out monitor with all the features you need so you won't modify anything and in a matter of a couple of hours you will be ready to go.

As for the navigation units fitted in the latest R129s, they are pretty much the same you have in your car. When I sold my R129 to that chap in Germany he had a car very similar to mine with Bose, a black interior and the travelpilot single-DIN radio with the navigation antenna on the trunk.

I'm sorry for the very long post but I hope it helped.

Cheers.

·
Administrator
8,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm sorry for the very long post but I hope it helped.

Cheers.
Yes it did, and on that basis I'm going to forget installing a comand system and go with an alternative as has been suggested.

Hal, the original satnav was a factory fitted system.

Option 351 auto-pilot-system (APS) (с 01.03.1994)
radio-navigations-system.

I would be interested to see the pop up spectacle compartment mod.

·
Registered
07 SL350, 14 BMW320, 05 SLK and 4.6 MGBV8
745 Posts
OK, yes, the factory did fit them but it was combined with a Becker radio and not a dedicated satnav a la Command.

I will bring the mould down to Brooklands.

·
Registered
4,527 Posts
Guys since we are gathering together probably even before than Brooklands (I'd be very happy to) we could also discuss the options for the navi upgrade face by face and then report in this thread our findings. Like a sort of brainstorming about the navi/radio/and so on matter.

What do you guys think?

Cheers.

·
Administrator
8,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was going to suggest the same thing :D

·
Administrator
8,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
4,527 Posts
Thatìs the Becker unit fitted by Mercedes in the very latest R129 (I'm not sure) and in the W202 (the first C-Class) but honestly with the present technology available I find it too basic and maybe you might have problems finding updated disks. If memory serves me the map CD should go in the unit and it should be able to manage the CD changer. Bur maybe in RedLiner's 1998 there's still an Alpine CD changer (I don't remember at the moment) so maybe it's not compatible.

Cheers.

·
Greek God of the R129
SL500-500SEL-190E
8,371 Posts
I wonder what kind a mind I have...........
Hmmmmm.

Regards.
aam.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts