Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
'00 S500
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently own a 2000 S500. I want to know if it is possible to upgrade the navagation system to the newer ones now out for the late S Class models. There are pictures below to clarify if you don't know what I mean. =)

From this one :

To this one:

·
Registered
MB CL500(C215);SL55(R129), SL63(R230)
479 Posts
The picture shows a MY04 command

I propose to forget about it.

You have to drop all your multimedia equipment (which is using D2B Bus) and replacing it with the MOST bus version. Neither you have the proper speed signal on the CAN bus. (Central Gateway required).

Hardware cost are roughly between 5-10K (hardware only) dependant of the equipment you have.

Cheers, Frank

·
Registered
'00 S430
269 Posts
I have been studying this too and only upgraded my CDs. The solution is to buy a newer car. Even if you could do it for very high $$ there is no assurance that it would work.

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
10,930 Posts
Or, if you want widescreen and can live with a CD-based system, you could upgrade to the model used in the MY '03. See posts # 13 and 17 at http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w220-s-class/1289578-comand-change-2.html?highlight=wide+screen+COMAND - there is also discussion in that string about the questionable value of such an upgrade - but hey, it's your money and your car.

Frank_S500 is right about not trying to take the path to MOST bus. You can't just drop a MOST bus unit into a D2B equipped car without changing out the entire fiber optics bus and all of the equipment connected to the bus, and making other changes. Sunman has done it, but it doesn't make economic sense in most cases.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts