Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
05 500
6,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For example, my home is in a location without turn-by-turn directions. So, you'd think that after storing Home Route in my address book, the system would actually learn and display the route. Unfortunately, when I pull into my garage, what I get is a close approximation of my home location with my directional pointer (the thing that points the direction of the vehicle) way off the target area that's supposed to be my home location!!! I have tried to erase this Home Location, reset it and get it to be a bit more precise; no way, it always comes back to the wrong target - well, maybe I'm asking for too much, afterall, I'm supposed to know my way home. However, there are other routes that I'd like to have the system self program as one drives, if the route is not on the computer, afterall, it's tracking the route anyway!!!

For example, over the weekend I was on DE Rt13N in the direction of New York. This road is a new (well, maybe 1-2yrs old) 6-lane road and the NAV system showed me floating in a sea of black screen. Seemed pretty cool though, driving in nowhere, but I would have liked the system to catch that. Maybe that's why they want us to buy the upgrade disks!!!

·
Registered
ML550, W212 E350 4 matic, 1966 Corvette C2 convt.
2,675 Posts
I have tried to figure out the same thing. To the best of my knowledge and attempts, it can't be done. I will comment that my CD nav has more streets and stuff on it than the nav in my new E Class wth a DVD. Also with mine I can put in a full address but on the E I can only put in a block of addresses where the address I want fits in the preprogrammed block. My ML cd version tells me I am home as I turn in my driveway but the E says it maybe 1/8 th of a mile before or after my drive depending on which way I approach.

·
Premium Member
05 500
6,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Sosh, how are you? I think my 05 DVD NAV is same as that on your E.

I agree with you that there's no way to make it self program routes. As far as the addresses, I don't even input complete addresses, I just put in a partial address and interrogate the system's loo-up table.

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2011 C300 FORMER: ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
19,235 Posts
Even if you are not on a mapped road, you can store your current location as a point of reference. The problem is that route calculation only works when it recognizes that you are on a mapped street. The arrow points the wrong way because it tries to get you back onto a mapped street, even though it may not be in the direction fo the destination. What the system lacks is "breadcrumb" routing where it would actually learn your "off-road" route and store it. I believe there are some NAV systems that do this, maybe in the Land Rover or Toureg?

- RODNEY

·
Registered
ML550, W212 E350 4 matic, 1966 Corvette C2 convt.
2,675 Posts
RE: Hi Sosh, how are you? I think my 05 DVD NAV is same as that on your E.

Darkmann - 3/14/2005 8:43 PM

I agree with you that there's no way to make it self program routes. As far as the addresses, I don't even input complete addresses, I just put in a partial address and interrogate the system's loo-up table.
Quite franly I prefer the CD MCS in my 02 ML500 to the Command in my 05 E320 4M. Its more user friendly, easier to program and more accurate. In addition the CD has more secondary roads and more addresses. Hows the ML500 doing for you??

1 - 5 of 5 Posts