Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since my car is out of warranty, I wonder if I could my consumer battery with a consumer battery from NAPA. My dealer charges about $171 for the consumer battery and NAPA charges about $125. I wonder saving $50 bucks is really worth it for the NAPA battery?

·
Registered
579 Posts
Call Mercedes Roadside Assistance and let them deliver and install. Its usually a little cheaper than the dealer and they come to you. Personally. I would not try a battery in a R230 that was not Mercedes OEM.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I agree with Beltserv, Roadside Assistance will come to your house and replace the battery for no additional charge and take the old battery away. The price of the battery is cheaper than if you were to bring it to Mercedes dealer and have them replace it. Dealer will charge you for the labor of replacing the battery.

·
Registered
385 Posts
The required 48/H6 type battery is widely available for around $125-150.
Any battery dealer will take the old one.
Can't imagine NOT doing it yourself...

·
Registered
69 Posts
The required 48/H6 type battery is widely available for around $125-150.
Any battery dealer will take the old one.
Can't imagine NOT doing it yourself...
I agree with Phil. Unless you aren't the least bit mechanically inclined, or you think non- OEM is blasphemy, a NAPA battery is fine... so is Interstate. It is a Varta battery anyway (so is the front one), so a battery with the same specs as the original will be fine.

No matter which battery you choose, keeping it on a trickle charger/battery maintainer during extended periods of inactivity will insure its longevity.

·
Registered
385 Posts
No matter which battery you choose, keeping it on a trickle charger/battery maintainer during extended periods of inactivity will insure its longevity.
And if you're really clever, keep a trickle charge connected to the battery cables during the swap out and you won't have to reset clock, windows, and ESP.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Question for those suggesting roadside - how did you get that done? They just denied me becasue the consumer batteries are to difficult to install on the side of the road and I'd need to take it to the dealer. Thanks.

·
Registered
579 Posts
1-800-367-6372. I can see maybe if your on the freeway not doing the work. But I have had mine done on both cars twice. Once at home, once at work, in a Fed Ex parking lot and at the Airport. In San Diego you should be good. Try again.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks. I will try again. When I called the first time I specified the car was in my driveway, but was told the consumer batteries were not even carried on the trucks. Hmm.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I called roadside back and 'complained'. Evidently it's up to the discretion of the dealer. MBSD called me back - they will come to me and only charge the price of the battery ($203). Persistence. Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
16 Posts
not all batteries are created equal

make sure if you go with napa or other aftermarkets that the battery is an AGM type. I just replaced mine, very easy job by the way. I ended up at
Batteries Plus, they had the exact replacement AGM type for 157 plus tax.
The ones quoted me by NAPA, Carquest and others were not AGM type which
is not recommended for an interior (trunk) location.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts