Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Name a great W126 Stabelmate

Greetings,
As we are all aware, 99.9% of people on the w126 forum own, or have owned a w126. So, from having experienced the w126, what is one of the best other Mercedes to own along with a w126. For example, some would say the r107, because you get the best of both worlds; roadster fun, and a large coupe or sedan. I was just curious to everyones ideas and opinions. Lets have some fun ideas:)
-Der Bomber

·
Registered
467 Posts
Greetings,
As we are all aware, 99.9% of people on the w126 forum own, or have owned a w126. So, from having experienced the w126, what is one of the best other Mercedes to own along with a w126. For example, some would say the r107, because you get the best of both worlds; roadster fun, and a large coupe or sedan. I was just curious to everyones ideas and opinions. Lets have some fun ideas:)
-Der Bomber
Definitely an E24 635csi or M6. While the penultimate combo could be A C126 and W126, they're essentially the same thing. Getting that Getrag in the E24 rounds out the experience better in my opinion. Almost traded my 560SEL for a 635csi with a stick years ago...

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
whats a stablement?

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
W201

...lots to choose from, mild diesels to tyre-smoking 16Vs. Everything I like about the 126 except the huge trunk.

And price....around these parts, very affordable.

·
Registered
554 Posts
It depends on what you like about the w126. I adore the space and the King of the Road feel.

So for me :
Space
Feel
Power
Comfort
Easy maintenance

Having owned a 300E w124, I think most w126 owners would like the w124 as well. The m103 3.0L is basically the same engine as in the w126 300se/sel.

I would also pick a later model r107, most likely a 500SL.

The w201's are great as well and the 2.6L would be my preference as it offers effortless and smooth power for such a compact body.

One of the other reasons I still own my 560SEL is the factory options and for any pre '95 MB this would be a major consideration for me.

The w123 is nice as well and I would have a 280 Coupe, with an AMG kit and throw some 3 piece OZ rims on. Very hot and an excellent basis for a m117 engine conversion which would make an amazing car.

There is plenty more but I always come back to the w126. It took me 18 years to find a car that fits me perfectly and it will be hard to find a replacement if I have to move away from a w126 lateron.

·
Registered
900 Posts
A Diesel W123.

·
Registered
5,600 Posts
Definately a 107. The 126 is the epitome of an MB quality sedan. Every other MB sedan is a variation on that theme.

A 107 SL has the feel of quality I expect from MB, in a classic roadster.

·
Registered
554 Posts
+1 on the older Mercs. I'd have a 300SEL 6.3 in a heartbeat, a greta w126 replacement but getting harder to find.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Definetly the W124 for me! Built a the same time, the best engineering went into these like in the W126. These were last cars in which the engineer achievement was more important than shareholders value

·
Registered
9,487 Posts
W123 240D 4 speed beater, (Jonwhite99 says she'd have to take a step up to be a beater), but she's my beater and she get 35 mpg on average.

·
Premium Member
9,985 Posts
Definately a 107. The 126 is the epitome of an MB quality sedan. Every other MB sedan is a variation on that theme.

A 107 SL has the feel of quality I expect from MB, in a classic roadster.
+1.

·
Always Remembered RIP
10,146 Posts
Definetly the W124 for me! Built a the same time, the best engineering went into these like in the W126. These were last cars in which the engineer achievement was more important than shareholders value

I totally agree. (see avatar photo at upper left)

On July 27th I picked up a 1995 E420, (which I thought was about 75-80% of an E500) for the above reasons, and wanted the very last year of the last Bruno Sacco designed w124 cars and even got one with good records and history, in my fav color, Almandine Red.

Added a Lorinser spoiler and 17" AMG monoblocks and I am set..

I put over 9,000 miles on the E420 already!!!! (to Las Vegas, LA and San Fran. --- over and over....) These w124 sedans are NOT so tail happy as the w126cars are. They are AMAZINGLY balanced, and corner perfectly and very fast, even the battery is mounted in the trunk in pursuit of this. Opening the long fuel filler lid reveals a cutout inside for a second (rally) gas tank.

Fun to look in the garage and have to decide? hmmm which one today? The 560 or the 420?

Each as fast as hell, the E420 was only out for '94 to '95 but it's a robust and excellent engine, DOHC 275 hp out of the box from MB.

Both of them gas eaters, but who cares? It is all about FUN per gallon and each one delivers.

·
W123 Moderator
797 Posts
Stablemates

Stablemates that is an interesting question.

Firstly another w126 if you have a couple get a sedan, or the other way around it does not matter.

Then maybe add a 107 SL, an E320 Wagon as a daily driver and parts collector / heavy hauler.

That makes a good start and then if you get bored and need more stuff to work on a couple of W123 280TE wagons with AMG Extras and stick shift.

Oh that is what is in my drive way.

In my humble opinion I win.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts

·
Always Remembered RIP
10,146 Posts
1 - 20 of 28 Posts