Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1995 E320 Cabriolet
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took it to a very good auto electric shop with much MB experience (naturally). Battery drains overnight. They checked every fuse and no problems there. No light on in trunk, etc. He bought an aftermarket OVR from a source he has always had luck with because MB wanted about a million dollars for one. Part number was correct. When installed, the drain stopped but the car wouldn’t start. Wrong relay? Bad relay? Not the problem? Any ideas much appreciated.

·
Registered
W124
4,839 Posts
If you are experiencing a new problem after intalling a new OVP, then the new OVP is the cause. Did the "very good auto electric shop with much MB experience" actually not figure this out?

A Kaehler OVP is available on Amazon for under $70.

·
Registered
1995 E320 Cabriolet
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Yes of course he suspected a bad part although he’s never gotten a klinker from this supplier...but there’s a first time for everything. He suggested that at $100/hr he could keep trying and would be happy to, but it might be in my best financial interest to explore it further myself.
It sounds like this is a universal part for W124s so I will Kaelher

·
Premium Member
1993 300CE Cabriolet (mine) ; 1994 E320 Wagon (wife's) ; 1990 Benz 300E 2.6 (son's)
6,987 Posts
I've found many things that can run the battery down. on my wife's E320 wagon, it was the central locking pump, it was running and running because the dash-pot contacts got munged up and stopped working. on another car, it was the CF module

·
Registered
1992 300CE sportline, 1991 300TE 104
8 Posts
I also experienced a battery drain on my 1991 300TE within 36-48 hours. It was the module for the seat belt indicator/interior temperature - the warning light remained on 24/7 for the seatbelts, draining the battery. It's an area I didn't look at as it is out of the line of sight and the red light is unobtrusive.

·
Premium Member
'92 300TE 4matic 280,000miles, '92 300TE 4Matic 'Ice Blue Metalic' 101,000miles
10,250 Posts
True...in cars of this vintage, many things can cause a parasitic drain. If your ace mechanic hasn't done a parasitic draw test to at least find what circuit the draw is coming from, he's not much of an 'ace'.

If it's just the OVP, use Kaehler as Andy suggested. If your 'ace' hasn't recognized the diminishing quality of parts, find another mechanic.

Kevin

1 - 8 of 8 Posts