Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1981 240D
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1981 240D, fuses all good, contacts clean. Ground from battery just replaced in a shop.

Anyone know what could be causing the following problem?

When either turn signal is flashing, the fuel and temperature gauges move in rhythm with the signal. Turning on the headlights causes both the temp and fuel gauges to move to the top of their readouts (hottest, tank full) and both the turn signal arrows to glow.

Thanks in advance for your insights!

·
Registered
.................... ~'84 300D~~~~~~~~ ~~'85 300TD~~~~~~~ ~~~W123(s) Galore~~~
658 Posts
Ditto on the Grounds... I run a stranded wire from the instrument cluster straight back to the firewall... there is a ready screw on the firewall to attach it to. Attach it to the top of the cluster and leave about 6" of slack so you can easily install or pull the ground wire. I do this on all my cars.

·
Registered
2002 ML320
4 Posts

·
Registered
1978 350SL, 1984 300CD 2003 SLK32 AMG
90 Posts
Also, you need to check the printed circuit board that the instruments mount on. I had the pulsing type problem when I bought my 300CD. I found a burnt copper trace on the PC board that was the ground conductor for the gauges. I had to remove the temperature gauge from the PC board to see it. The traces are large by today's standards a not too hard to repair.

Good Luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts