Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1988 560SL, TRQ
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone help me identify this part on the front left just behind the grill. Looks ceramic and is crumbling.
Thanks.
Wood Gas Auto part Screw Machine

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper

·
Premium Member
1988 560SL, TRQ
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
With this thing in crumbles could it effect the function of the cooling fan?

·
Registered
1988 560SL (California Model)
5,235 Posts
Can't speak to what effect it would have but here's a post from a couple of weeks ago listing a couple of sources for replacement. Guess they are not easy to find.

87 560SL Aux cooling fan resistor?

ps...If you have access to a salvage yard the MB 560 SEL's and SEC's use the same resistor. Of course they may not be in any better shape than yours...

·
Premium Member
1988 560SL, TRQ
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can't speak to what effect it would have but here's a post from a couple of weeks ago listing a couple of sources for replacement. Guess they are not easy to find.

87 560SL Aux cooling fan resistor?

ps...If you have access to a salvage yard the MB 560 SEL's and SEC's use the same resistor. Of course they may not be in any better shape than yours...
Thanks.

·
Registered
W124, 230E 5 speeds Manual, 1987
336 Posts
With this thing in crumbles could it effect the function of the cooling fan?
it affects the low-speed stage of the cooling fan. the fan kicks in at low speed when AC is running and condenser temp rises.
if you couldn't find any good replacement, you can just bypass it with a jumper wire, that way the fan will kick in at normal high speed with AC on. I did that myself with my w124 in order to improve my AC Efficiency after the r134 conversion and it did improve a lot when the car is steady and not moving fast in traffic.

BUT please make sure that it is really the fan resistor and not the ballast resistor for the ignition circuit, I don't have any experience with your car ignition system and don't know if it has a such ballast resistor or not. both are very identical in form and shape.

·
Premium Member
1988 560SL, TRQ
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
it affects the low-speed stage of the cooling fan. the fan kicks in at low speed when AC is running and condenser temp rises.
if you couldn't find any good replacement, you can just bypass it with a jumper wire, that way the fan will kick in at normal high speed with AC on. I did that myself with my w124 in order to improve my AC Efficiency after the r134 conversion and it did improve a lot when the car is steady and not moving fast in traffic.

BUT please make sure that it is really the fan resistor and not the ballast resistor for the ignition circuit, I don't have any experience with your car ignition system and don't know if it has a such ballast resistor or not. both are very identical in form and shape.
Thanks. Based on the PN on it is the Aux Cooling Resistor.

·
Premium Member
1988 560SL, TRQ
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Try Advance Auto Parts for the Beru Cool Fan Resistor. 37 bucks.
They show it but when you try to purchase it is out of stock. I did find one from ECS Tuning. Hopefully. Shipping next week. They are rare.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts