Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a noticeable noise coming from my 1985 300D, but only when the car is loaded with a passenger(s) and only under feathered throttle conditions. It's a kind of whoop-whoop-whoop noise. If you didn't know any better you'd think a helicopter was hovering overhead. The car sounds fine on the highway and under even light throttle load, but as soon as I ease up a just little on the throttle while cruising this noise starts.

There is no vibration associated with the noise that I can detect and I just replaced the entire exhaust system (unrelated problem). Any ideas?

·
Registered
1985 300D W123 Cali
1,408 Posts
I had a noise that that showed up only with adults in the backseat. Turns out that the muffler was installed too far towards the rear and bracket at the rear of the muffler that contacts the round rubber bumper was hitting the car's bumper. (clear as mud, right?)

basically, make sure that your muffler is contacting the round rubber bumpers where they are supposed to and that none of the exhaust system is contacting the frame. You might need bodies in the backseat to verify this.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts