Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, Thanks for reading!

Just picked up a very clean little 190e 2.6 1992 that needs some help passing smog (as so many of these 90's benzes do - been through several of the M119s so I'm up for the challenge!)

Just going through and placing an order for the visible issues - And I can't seem to find one part. The air cleaner intake is a large flat plastic part that is connected to the air cleaner via a rubber boot - the boot has split and I need to find another.. Is it a dealer-only part?

Below are two photos - one is a close up of the part number stamped on the rubber part that I need - and the other photo is the plastic part that the rubber connects to (and then connects to the metal airt cleaner canister.)

The part number is 103 094 2182 - when I google it, and try it at major parts houses, it returns nothing useful. I have to think that many of the cars this age have had to replace this part - so thought I'd check with the community here.

Thanks in advance!
~Bryan

Attachments

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Welcome aboard!
Most likely the local MB dealer should be able to order you that part and often times they will price match the online parts houses too.
Regarding those intake boots, I usually grab them from the local junkyards.
Good to see more Bay Area cars on the board. I'm in the East Bay.
What sort of smog issues are you having? Myself and Dolucasi have a lot of experience on how to get the M103 cars to pass the smog test.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Plinker - thank you so much, that was the ticket - must have been superseded... The number you sent came up instantly at various sources, and an order has been placed.
Thanks so much!
~Bryan

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
355190e26 - Thanks for the reply! I've been more of a "lurker" on the forums here for the last few years on and off.. I'm a fan of the Marque, and have been for years. Back in the early '90's - my wife lost control of her 5.0 mustang and hit a telephone pole at maybe 20 Mph. The resulting carnage scored the tar out of me - the floor was buckled, control arm sheared off, and I told her . you choose - used mercedes or used Volvo? She chose wisely, and ended up with a 1987 190e-2.3 that she drove for quite a few years. Since then there has been a 123, a e420 124, several 124 wagons, and another e420. The kids ended up with W204's (C350) I drive whatever is left in the driveway. Youngest son caught the bug, and purchased a not running exceptionally clean 92 500SEL, and after lots of troubleshooting, we discovered cam chain jumped. Compression checks passed, and then several more. months as he saved money for chain guides, chain, and all of the ancillary goodies, and we had a quick test fire this weekend, which was a success. I'm just excited that a 17 year old thinks a 500SEL is a cool car. He named it "Mao" because every communist dictator had one in the 90's. Photo attached! Here's the test fire video (no cooling system or accessories, just a quick test). https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B12GqkRUiGPynE5

Wifey had a W202 C280 after the 190, and every car since then she's never loved as much as her 190. She always says that the car was "her" sized. Kids are all grown and working/going to school now, and so she's gone back to work, commuting in the Ford Excursion V10 family trukster all by herself, at 10 Mpg... So I've been keeping my eye open for one for her. I'm finding that a lot of these 90s era cars (especially CIS-E) end up getting scrapped or sold cheap just due to smog issues. So I found a pretty clean white 2.6 that was parked a year ago April when it failed smog. I jumped it and drove it home. other than running rich, it drove fine. 176k miles- I've ordered injectors & seals, and usual hit-failure items like the coolant expansion tank, and various vacuum ends. Tune up was already done, although I'm putting new plugs. Plan is to then do Lambda, and check entrance vs exit temps on the cat to see if it's been toasted from previously running rich. Don't have the failed smog results (just assuming it did) so first pull will be discovery time. At only $700,I think I'm ahead of the game so far! Had fun a Pick-n-Pull on Saturday getting various things like the gas door lock actuator, and some interior bits. It does have the door card separation of the driver and passenger armrests, but other than that she's pretty good. I think she's going to be happy to be in a W201 again! The C350's are nice and fun, but definitely a different era.

We shall see where things go!
Thanks for asking, keep in touch!
~Bryan

Attachments

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Nice to see that you're very familar w/ older MBs. There's a number of us enthusiasts floating around the area.
Was your 190E the one on Craigslist down in Santa Cruz? I remember seeing that ad up for a couple weeks.
I briefly had a 92 2.6, but it was pretty trashed and had a salvage title so it got parted out.
Regarding the smog stuff here's a writeup I did about CA smog and the M103 2.6 engine cars during my last test.
https://www.benzworld.org/forums/w201-190-class/3021392-m103-emissions-insight-ca-smog-test.html
PM me if you need the info for a smog shop that's friendly for older cars. (it's in SF)

·
W201 Moderator
2,168 Posts
Welcome the BW-201 forum! Looks like a very nice acquisition locally. I only see a 190 around San Jose area once a month (maybe).
Good you rescued it from ending up in one of the two SJ pick'n pulls. As 355 mentioned we have had our share of the smog issues but lately we seem to be able to make it thru.

Numbers are growing so perhaps a BW local meet is in order....

- Cheers!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hello!

Wow what a tight community! Yessir, this is the one that was in Santa Cruz. It was parked last year about this time, I did not even ask why but just assumed it was due to smog. Jumper cables and it started right up - drove it to a gas station and then drove home, no issues whatsoever. It's pretty clean (although you just can't kill MB-Tex) but driving it I can tell that at during some of it's 176k mi history, it was taken care of, as it felt very tight. I've fixed a few of the usual things, like the netting behind the front seats sagging, fixed the gas door lock actuator (was leaking) and one of the doors would not open from the inside. There's evidence that an attempt was made at a tune up, cap/rotor are fairly new, and old parts were in the trunk. It re-started and ran just fine (just very rich) albniet with the slightly longer than usual crank time and stumbly-start (that I'm thinking was leaky injectors.) We'll see what injectors, O2 Sensor, Lambda adjust, EGR verify, and fixing any vacuum leaks reveals. Thanks for the link to the smog thread, I'm going to go read it now. Will probably hit up our local guy here on the corner near our house - in no way a MB expert, but he's passed my 1995 e420 with 240k miles - I guess these cars are old enough to not have to do the dyno test.

Thanks so much!
~Bryan

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
dolucasi, yes that would be fun! My son would be proud to show off his 500SEL rescue as well. So many of these cars show up at Pick-N-Pull in near perfect physical condition, just needing a littke mechanical love to pass smog. Sad that laws that are supposedly to "help" the envirponment actually force cars like this with so many years left in them to be junked. Ah well, it keeps the parts supply in operation for us enthusiasts! One of the reasons I bought used C350's for the kids was that the W204's are absolutely everywhere, and so I foresaw an endless supply of junkyard units from which to draw!

But yeah, we saved another one here - hoping to get it registered by this coming weekend. Going to hit it with clay and a quick polish, after getting the Santa Cruz moss off of it!

Thanks much, have a great evening!
~Bryan

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Friends,

More updates on the $700 190e-2.6

When I drove it home, it felt to me very "tight" like at some point in its' latter life there was a fair amount of care and love put into it.

This was a Santa Cruz, CA car, and the valve cover and air cleaner cover were both collecting surface rust, so I pulled them both to strip and repaint them both. When I removed the valve cover, I was very pleasantly surprised - it was not exactly what I was expecting for a $700 car with 176k miles.. Pretty clean if you ask me.

Enjoy!
~Bryan

Attachments

·
CH4S Artist , Outstanding Contributor
39,042 Posts
Plinker - thank you so much, that was the ticket - must have been superseded... The number you sent came up instantly at various sources, and an order has been placed.
Thanks so much!
~Bryan
Btw, If you scroll through the forums to the vendor section, most of them sell original Mercedes parts highly discounted.
For example, MBoemparts.com is supposed to actually be Mercedes Benz of Naperville (near Chicago).
autohausaz is one of the few sellers to use original MB parts numbers. Good to use as reference, but beside running the quality range of aftermarket,they also sell original Mercedes parts. They usually have free ground shipping for orders over $48 or so.

·
W201 Moderator
2,168 Posts
Hi Friends,

More updates on the $700 190e-2.6

When I drove it home, it felt to me very "tight" like at some point in its' latter life there was a fair amount of care and love put into it.

This was a Santa Cruz, CA car, and the valve cover and air cleaner cover were both collecting surface rust, so I pulled them both to strip and repaint them both. When I removed the valve cover, I was very pleasantly surprised - it was not exactly what I was expecting for a $700 car with 176k miles.. Pretty clean if you ask me.

Enjoy!
~Bryan
Yep, it looks like the car had regular oil changes. That is a good thing! Let's see how it fairs in the smog department. I believe Santa Cruz county does not require dyno-test but Santa Clara county does.

- Cheers!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The last time I had my '95 e420 done it also was exempt from the Dyno, so I'm hoping it's the same for this little one!
Will let you know how it goes.

~Bryan

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
5 Participants
bwcole
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing