Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well hey! I have a 1980 300D, and it has 4 buttons on one section of the center console. One is for the antenna, another is for the sunroof, and the next is for the rear cabin light. I don't know what the 4th button is supposed to do. It looks like a spring, somewhat similar to the glow plug indicator light on the dash. When I push it it lights up, but I don't<br> notice anything happening. I thought it might be the rear defroster, but as far as I can tell, there are no vents back by the rear windshield. Anybody?<br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks alot guys! I noticed that whenever I clean the inside of the rear windshield with windex or something, that the brown coloring of those horizontal lines rubs off and smears. Is that just because it's old? Also, I noticed that whenever I used the button in the past, it didn't demist the rear windshield. Are there any fuses or anything I can check?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
there are 3 probabilities,<br> <br> the switch has had it. (about $35AUD)<br> <br> the fuse has gone $1<br> <br> or the whole rear windscrene has failed ($3000)<br> <br> when mine went i thought it was the fuse, it wasnt, so i bought a new switch, thats fine, its the whole rear windscrene that has gone, it sometimes works but most of the time dosent. i just live with it.<br> <br> think of it this way, i could pay the $3000 to get it replaced or i could buy a new 300d.<br> <br> louis

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I noticed an inline fuse going to a relay under the hood on the fender. It is of the clear glass cylinder type, with metal ends, but it is burnt. I don't know what the fuse or relay is for, but it is about 3/4 full of something that looks like sugar or salt, and all it says is 'T2/250V' or '12/250V,' I can't tell. Nobody around here can offer me a replacement, because they've never seen one like it. Maybe that's the problem.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mike,<br> Where the heck is this website? Rear windows at the junk yards go for about $35-$45 here in California and you've ever watched a person install one, anyone can do it afterwards. Sooner or later they all leak and need replacing, so find out how now and when ready put in another rear window. Some of the 123 came with a window where the elctrodes are inside the glass and almost invisible, get one of those, can't wipe off the material no matter how hard you try.<br> Ben

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.