Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys

I have a befuddling question.
Just lately FRITZ has developed a mysterious water leak.
Points to consider before comment :

1) no water pool underneath vehicle where regularly parked for extended period

2) oil on dipstick is crystal clean no murky, no milky, no water in fact considering oil change some 3000 kms ago it is remarkably good condition

3) no murkiness or sign of water when looking through oil filler cap hole

4) no obvious leaks from hoses when pressure applied to them

5) water is clear and clean - no sign of oil

6) temperature gauge sits at its normal 82 deg, only rising to mid 90's when sitting at traffic light for extended period then fan kicks in and back down she goes

7) no obvious leak from water expansion bottle which is where I am noticing the level dropping daily, as much a 1 litre

8) engine running beautifully no staggering or faltering accelerates fine no smoke no clouds of steam nothing

So this has me totally stuffed ! Where is it going and how ? :surrender:

·
Sith Lord
11,813 Posts
Water could be leaking while the engine is running, check around your water pump.

If the leak is thin, it will not be leaving a pond under the car.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Roger that - will check those things in the morning !

·
Registered
4,492 Posts
I just fixed the same problem. O ring at hard pipe for heater core at top of water pump. Only left a small residue on top of water pump, no puddle but lots of lost fluid. Quick fix.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just fixed the same problem. O ring at hard pipe for heater core at top of water pump. Only left a small residue on top of water pump, no puddle but lots of lost fluid. Quick fix.
Your referring to this area ? (picture from some other post)

02.jpg

·
Registered
4,492 Posts
I was thinking the other side of that pic, towards the radiator. The pipe that feeds the pump going to the heater. It runs under the distributor, conects from the water pump to a hose. Mine had a small snail trail comming off the bottom of where it hooks into the water pump. It's maybe 3/4 of an inch OD tube with 1 bolt holding it in.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Make sure you check the tranny fluid to. Tranny heater/cooler line ran thru radiator.
Nope tranny fluid "reddish / clear" as would be hoped.

The worse scenario is that the coolant is leaking through the heater core into the cockpit. One PITA fix. Ask me how I know...
Nope all carpets inside/under dash dry as a bone.

I was thinking the other side of that pic, towards the radiator. The pipe that feeds the pump going to the heater. It runs under the distributor, conects from the water pump to a hose. Mine had a small snail trail comming off the bottom of where it hooks into the water pump. It's maybe 3/4 of an inch OD tube with 1 bolt holding it in.
Sigh - Nope - grabbed hold of all lines nothing resembling water found anywhere. The only leak I found was on the heated water bottle supplying fluid to the wiper. There appears to be two areas at the bottoms for "motors" of which only one space is occupied. The other one has a rubber grommet in it that is obviously worn and is leaking. But can;t see how that would effect coolant level.

Thanks for the suggestions - anyone else got any ideas before I take it to an indie and up on the hoist ?

Just a thought weather has been warming up here - I have had the temperature gauges (two dials on the Oz delivery as we don;t have full climate control) set to minimum for a while now. Not running aircon though as I know it needs re-gassing and changing as we are not allowed to use the old gas systems anymore out here.

Would it - could it be related ????

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There should never be a water leak, a coolant leak maybe. Coolant also keeps system from becoming contaminated.

20-0170 - Testing cooling system for leaks

Could be the cap, maybe it will not hold the pressure and the coolant leaves through top hose then into overflow tank in right fender.
Thanks CBC - had that thought also. Just so we know we are speaking same language the radiator in the 300CE does not have a cap on top like the old days. The only pressure cap is ontop of the expansion tank mounted on the right fender NEXT TO the large plastic reservoir I take to be the windscreen wiper water supply. There is no sign of leakage on the inside fender that I can detect other than what I mentioned above which is from a small grommet on the larger windscreen supply bottle.

I've come across some other suggestion in old posts....

More likely, it leaks at the bottom passenger-side of the radiator, and only when running, so it's hard to see on the garage floor. Use pliers to bend in the metal near where the lower radiator hose comes in.

and....
I spent approx. 2 years looking for a leak that I couldn't find. It wasn't much of a leak but it seemed like every time that I added fluid up to the correct coolant fluid level, whenever I checked it, it would be approx. 1 pint low. Never had white exhaust, engine never ran hot, no antifreeze under the car, no residue on the undercarriage, hoses were dry, etc. Well, you guessed it, I had a seam leak on the coolant fluid reservoir itself and everytime that the the fluid was added and the system pressurized, the coolant would seep out slowly and evaporate.

So I will pursue these avenues as well. Very perplexing problem this one !

Just glad there's no white smoke or murky oil !

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Water could be leaking while the engine is running, check around your water pump. If the leak is thin, it will not be leaving a pond under the car.
More precisely, check the bottom of the water pump. That is where the pumps weep hole is located.

It took me months to locate the coolant leak on my 94E320. Like yours no obvious coolant leak. But, trace of dried coolant was present on the engine block under the water pump coming from the water pump's weep hole.

Good luck and happy hunting.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Close but there are two tanks related to the coolant system. The expansion tank has the cap on it and just under the cap a line/hose runs around the tank, through the battery section and down to the lower fender where the other tank called the overflow tank resides.
ACKKK What a silly ass place to put the other bottle ! There's plenty of room in the engine bay why put it in the friggin wheel well ! (assuming the attached from another post is what your talking about which I didn't even know was there !!!!)

IMG_3328.jpg

·
Premium Member
10,120 Posts
You mentioned a garage; get some lengths of butcher paper, or printing press paper. Tape a large area big enough to drive over in your garage. Do a long run and then park it overnight. Mark exactly where you car is on the paper, pull off and observe your leak residue. Even a drop or two will show on the paper....along with all your oil leaks etc. But the coolant leaks will be different, because they are water based. You have nothing to lose but the scrounged up paper....well, there's the tape.:thumbsup:

The overflow tank is just what it's named; for overflow. If your reservoir tank has a sound cap, coolant isn't going into the washer fluid reservoir from the little coolant lines and your level is correct...there should not be much if anything in the overflow. Mine has been dry for yrs. If your is full, that's a sign of other problems, as above.

Kevin

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
More precisely, check the bottom of the water pump. That is where the pumps weep hole is located.

It took me months to locate the coolant leak on my 94E320. Like yours no obvious coolant leak. But, trace of dried coolant was present on the engine block under the water pump coming from the water pump's weep hole.

Good luck and happy hunting.
Will do - I do have to take it to the indie next week or so for a coolant refresh and change of pipes because as I mentioned it is illegal to refill A/C in Australia now with the old R12 coolant gas. So whilst it is up on the hoise I can have a nosey around for some of these spots which are damned hard to get at from above and even harder in the driveway when your car is lowered and has bodykit in the way !

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Kevin......are you listening Kevin......
You not implying that I am a tight arse are you ? :wave: Hahahahahaha

Well I won't know whether it has fluid in it until I work how to get to the damn thing.

But I am confused now. Set me straight.
We have a radiator with coolant/water in it. this is connected to an expansion tank with a pressure cap on the inside of the engine bay which has fluid in it which rises and falls depending on how things are running hot/cold etc etc.
So when does the overflow ever take any fluid and where from and why ?
Not sure I comprehend this Miasma of Mercedes Manufacturing Malestrom !

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
So when does the overflow ever take any fluid and where from and why ?
The overflow tank takes coolant form the expansion tank when the coolant in the expansion tank exceeds its capacity. This happens when the engine overheats and the coolant reach boiling point or when the expansion tank is overfilled. I believe the main function of the overflow tank is to prevent coolant to spill to the ground.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
You know the coolant level is about half way in the expansion tank? Where it looks like the top and the bottom are melted together with a collar around the tank; that is the coolant level indicator when full.

So you are saying the entire expansion tank is almost empty and that is your 1 litre low. It should not be filled to the top.

·
Premium Member
10,120 Posts
Who's saying the reservoir tank is empty(?)....I said the expansion tank on my car is always empty. As edcarls said, the expansion tank is a second line of defense in case the reservoir tank is overfilled or the system boils & overflows as in a overheating scenario. Except that it doesn't siphon back and be useful again.

And yes, the manufacturer's seam on the reservoir tank is what most of us use as the correct coolant level when the car is cooled down.

stormtrigger: how did I imply you are a tight-ass? Are you...I know I am, but not about cheap parts on these cars. On my WOT throttle runs, I don't want to be wondering if the Febi/Meyle part will hold up into a turn, versus a Lemforder part.:D

Kevin

1 - 20 of 74 Posts