Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1977 450SL
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my ac/heater panel out and this copper looking clip with a light bulb(almost looks like a fiber optic type deal) was dangling behind everything and can't seem to find a place it clips too, or exactly what its supposed to light up.

Any ideas?

Attachments

·
Registered
1986 Mercedes 300SL r107
179 Posts
I can't quite remember if that's what the fibre optic cables looked like behind the panel in my car, but I think it looks similar, in my car they are used to light up everything in that panel, vent sliders, fan speed knob etc

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app

·
Registered
1977 450SL
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can't quite remember if that's what the fibre optic cables looked like behind the panel in my car, but I think it looks similar, in my car they are used to light up everything in that panel, vent sliders, fan speed knob etc

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app
Here is a couple pics of the back of the panel, there is a separate bulb with a socket that plugs into the back of this which lights the panel up, and this other light with the copper bracket doesn't look like it clips to anything I can see, unless this was for the original Becker stereo.

Attachments

·
Registered
1986 Mercedes 300SL r107
179 Posts
Hmmm not sure, but the fibre optic cables do connect to that spot in the photo, I'll see If I have any photos from when I pulled everything apart

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
-----'83 280 SL----- 5 speed....The PIG
29,512 Posts
Let me answer your question with a question.

What, if anything, is NOT lit up?

·
Registered
1977 450SL
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmmm not sure, but the fibre optic cables do connect to that spot in the photo, I'll see If I have any photos from when I pulled everything apart

Really appreciate the help, heres a couple better pics of how is was connected. The separate connector with a bulb fits perfectly in the back of the panel and all of the wires come from the same "junction box" so to speak. I can't seem to find any scratch marks or fading of where this little buggar goes.

Attachments

·
Registered
1978 450SL--117K
1,374 Posts
My climate control is different than yours, but that is not what the fiber optic lines look like on mine--they are black with little brass ends on them. If anything, that bracket might allow one to clip into it.

·
Registered
1977 450SL
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My climate control is different than yours, but that is not what the fiber optic lines look like on mine--they are black with little brass ends on them. If anything, that bracket might allow one to clip into it.
Think I found where it clips onto. A seller on ebay has a picture but I can't seem to save it and upload it, here is a link if you want to see.

Thanks so much.....

Mercedes AC Heater Climate Control Unit 450slc R107 450 sl slc 350 W107 450sl | eBay

·
Registered
1978 450SL--117K
1,374 Posts
Think I found where it clips onto. A seller on ebay has a picture but I can't seem to save it and upload it, here is a link if you want to see.

Thanks so much.....

Mercedes AC Heater Climate Control Unit 450slc R107 450 sl slc 350 W107 450sl | eBay
Those black lines are the fiber optic cables in those pics, but I did not see your part anywhere there. What pic number from top to bottom?

Okay, I see it, but you are apparently missing the fiber optic lines. I have wondered where a person could get some other than a junk yard.

·
Registered
1979 450 SLC 5.0
486 Posts
Not so fast Mr. Watson.......(HAHA!!)

Well there you go, mystery solved

The Original poster has an updated control panel, with the four slots for the fiber optics to hook up to at 12, 3, 6, and 9 O'Clock around the light bulb socket.

That older style panel from the ebay auction picks up the fiber optics from the bulb with the copper cover above the fan switch.

I think you have a case of "one of this, and one of that" going on here.

If I had to guess, your control panel has been replaced with a newer one, and they didn't know what to do with the fiber optic cables.

I would attempt to get the correct ones, if the current ones wont fit, and plug them into the slots around bulb socket.

Then shit can the copper tin looking contraption altogether.

Just my 2 cents worth.

JetPaul

·
Registered
1977 450SL
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The Original poster has an updated control panel, with the four slots for the fiber optics to hook up to at 12, 3, 6, and 9 O'Clock around the light bulb socket.

That older style panel from the ebay auction picks up the fiber optics from the bulb with the copper cover above the fan switch.

I think you have a case of "one of this, and one of that" going on here.

If I had to guess, your control panel has been replaced with a newer one, and they didn't know what to do with the fiber optic cables.

I would attempt to get the correct ones, if the current ones wont fit, and plug them into the slots around bulb socket.

Then shit can the copper tin looking contraption altogether.

Just my 2 cents worth.

JetPaul
I think you are 100% correct, a little of this and a little of that.
From what I can tell the only fiber optics that need to be on my car is for the electric antenna, there are two fiber optic leads plugged into it but the PO cut them. The only other switch I have up on that row is the rear window heater/defroster switch and there is no sign of anywhere to plug fiber optics into that.

So I will search for the fiber optics loom I need, I read another poster on PeachParts says the Mercedes Classic Center can order them from Germany.

·
Registered
1977 450SL
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think you are 100% correct, a little of this and a little of that.
From what I can tell the only fiber optics that need to be on my car is for the electric antenna, there are two fiber optic leads plugged into it but the PO cut them. The only other switch I have up on that row is the rear window heater/defroster switch and there is no sign of anywhere to plug fiber optics into that.

So I will search for the fiber optics loom I need, I read another poster on PeachParts says the Mercedes Classic Center can order them from Germany.
Correction, I did look at the rear window defroster switch and there is a spot for a fiber optic cable.

So I will get the correct fiber optic parts to fix it.

THANKS to everyone for your help, this forum is awesome!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts