Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
82 240d, 82 300 TDT, 85 300 TDT,
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was going over the 101 freeway the other day and the temp in my 87 300tdt climbed above and beyond the normal operating temp (not in the red but close), fearing that since I hadn't had the coolant changed since buying the car (about three months ago now) I should get it flushed and re-filled. I made a mistake though, I went to Jiffy Lube. Not only did I pay a premium, 79.99, I now have a leak that's dribbling coolant from the drivers side or the radiator, between the aluminum and plastic bits. The leak is not drastic but is definitely present. What could this be? I thought drain petcock, or hose clamp somewhere but everything else seems dry. Could my ten year old rad be dead? Could they have jammed a screwdriver through a fin? Where is the drain petcock (plug) anyway?

Any help or direction on this is so very welcome.

Nate

·
Registered
2008 E350 4M, 2016 Audi Allroad, 2019 Audi Q5
5,540 Posts
I was going over the 101 freeway the other day and the temp in my 87 300tdt climbed above and beyond the normal operating temp (not in the red but close), fearing that since I hadn't had the coolant changed since buying the car (about three months ago now) I should get it flushed and re-filled. I made a mistake though, I went to Jiffy Lube. Not only did I pay a premium, 79.99, I now have a leak that's dribbling coolant from the drivers side or the radiator, between the aluminum and plastic bits. The leak is not drastic but is definitely present. What could this be? I thought drain petcock, or hose clamp somewhere but everything else seems dry. Could my ten year old rad be dead? Could they have jammed a screwdriver through a fin? Where is the drain petcock (plug) anyway?

Any help or direction on this is so very welcome.

Nate
Check the thermostat housing and all hoses attached on that side. Then make sure the coolant drain plug is screwed up fully. Its passenger side at the very bottom.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts