Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1990 300SL, 2004 E320
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
RE: '90 300SL

Mysterious Battery Power Drain seems to plague my vehicle. If the car sits idle for a week the battery dies. I've installed a new battery, thinking that was the problem, but it was not. I therefore installed one of those Battery Guards that allow battery drainage down only to a point that there is still enough current to start the engine. This disconnects all power-using accessories (including radio memory). The solid state chip reconnects the battery circuit once the starter switch is engaged or lights are momentarily turned on. It works well though I have to enter the radio code and once engine is on the alternator charges up the battery. The power drain problem is still a concern even with this "band aid" fix. I have visually checked all lights (trunk, interior, dome, accessory lighting) at night if illuminated when parked.

Any hints from you out there that have had a like problem? What could be draining the battery and how can I analyze any possibilities??

Thanks,
Hz[:(!][:(!]

·
Registered
98 SL500
6 Posts
I used to think i had a battery problem.
I found out my blower regulator is sticking at times and killing my battery.
If you pull your blower fuse and your battery don't die. That could be the problem. Mne would die usually over night. I am trying to find out how to get to the blower regulator myself.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1990 300SL, 2004 E320
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
REF: "s58mgr1
RE: Mysterious Battery Power Drain

I used to think i had a battery problem.
I found out my blower regulator is sticking at times and killing my battery.
If you pull your blower fuse"

Which number fuse is the blower regulator?
I'll give it a try!

Thanks,
Hz[:)]

·
Registered
1 Posts
My wife has the car at work right now. If my memory is still working. I have a 98 SL500. It should be the big 30amp fuse on the upper left second from the top. If you can put a volt meter on your battery and see it draining. When you pull the fuse it should stop. Hope this helps. I will get the number for you also later mabe tomorrow..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts