Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1983 W123 280e
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys. Just thought I'd share some pics of my W123 all the way from sunny South Africa. Specs are as follows:

1980 Model
300d
214774km odo reading
No sunroof,electric windows or AC unfortunately.

I bought this car from an elderly gentleman a few months back. Everything is in good nick. The paint work Is still original. Interior all pretty with no cracks on the dashboard etc. It still has all its original glass all around. I will add more pictures as I get time during the day

Thanks for looking

Attachments

·
Registered
77 240D
993 Posts
looks great! FWIW a lot of people in the US prefer the no sunroof, no power accessories models.... i even deleted my own sunroof. where in ZA are you located? also, any idea if you got the special african market stiffer coil springs?

·
Registered
1983 W123 280e
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. Pretty average driveway hahahaha. I'm not sure about those, I didn't even know we got special parts TBH. Any way you can enlighten me on where to check ?

·
Registered
77 240D
993 Posts
probably the options plate on the radiator support will reveal how your car came from the factory. there are a series of number codes that can be looked up.

·
Registered
'86 W123 200, OM617 non-turbo, bastard 5-speed; '95 W202 C250 Diesel, OM605 non-turbo, 5-spd man
4,112 Posts
Welkom!

Great looking car.

·
Registered
1983 W123 280e
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Back on the 123

Damn its been a while, this poor old lady got sold and is currently not running any longer. With studies, work, wedding preps I haven't had time to play in the 123 space. But i'm back.

Will be starting a post of my new build. W123 280e M110, this will be a complete rebuild. Keep your eye peeled:laugh

·
Registered
'84 SEC EuroCoupe, '85 200T EuroWagon, 2012 Nissan Maxima SV Sport
3,170 Posts
i'm back.

Will be starting a post of my new build. W123 280e M110, this will be a complete rebuild. Keep your eye peeled:laugh
I'm ready.:wink

·
Registered
1983 W123 280e
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
W123 280e Incoming

So a few weeks back we were fortunate enough to get a beat up W123 280e.

The car was completely resprayed at some stage in its life, had a front bumper bashing which offset the cradle/cowling which after inspection seems a bit rough. No biggy there, the pane beater said it's minor and he will get it right.

Mechanically, the car is extremely lazy, it splutters and jerks during pull off and refuses to go over 120KM/H. However, it isn't smoking or or making any funny noises. And taking into consideration that the car stood for about 2 years, and some mechanic or the other decided to change the fuel distributor and tank, somewhere somehow along the line between the car dying where it stood and the mechanic playing around this is the problems we face.

The car was taken to a well know Merc guru back here in Johannesburg who has given the car a top to bottom check and has given a full report on what the issues are. Firstly, the compression is measuring at 5.5 - 7.5 between the cylinders with 7.5 being the highest. This should come in at 9.5 - 10. He has however advised that a full rebuild is not needed at this point and that he will first give the car a overly major service to rectify as much as possible.

The list consists of replacing all of the following:

Timing chain
New Tensioner
Plugs
Air Filter
Oil Filter
Fuel Filter
Auto transmission Service - New filter - Drain as well as Torque Converter New seal
Replace power steering reservoir filter
Replace ATF on the above
Engine Oil Replacement

Sump seal - Engine leaking on seal
Check Bearings - Front and back - To be asssessed
Bleed Brakes and replace Brake Fluid
Differential ( Dif) Oil 80W90 ( 2 x 500 ml )
New Windscreen
Fan alternator belt
Power steering belt
Do a follow up compression test
Engine leaking oil - To be assessed
Airfilter housing top breather rubber broken
Airfilter housing bottom breather rubber broken
Set Handbrake

Once the above is done, we can further continue on the suspension and hopefully everything comes back good with the compression test after the above.

Thereafter the car will be making its way to the panel beater where it will stay for a long time to get the body in tip top condition. It will be taken down to metal an worked on from there. As little filler as possible will be used.

That being said, this will be a long journey and a fruitful one. I am still sourcing cosmetic bits and pieces.

So if anyone knows of the following for sale and is willing to ship to South Africa, please get into contact with me.

AMG full body kit
Wooden interior trim

I will be updating as we go along so stay tuned:wink

Attachments

·
Registered
107 Posts
Very nice looking exterior. Please post pictures of your rebuid: many of us enjoy them and can support you.

Best regards,
Angel

·
Registered
1983 W123 280e
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Very nice looking exterior. Please post pictures of your rebuid: many of us enjoy them and can support you.

Best regards,
Angel
Will try do so as much as possible, the mechanic is around 80km from me so getting there and taking pics of the mechanical side is a bit difficult but with the cosmetics I'll definitely keep uploading

·
Registered
1983 W123 280e
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update

So no pics as yet sadly, I haven't gotten time to get to the workshop and check the progress.

However MBSA who ordered the Cam Chain tensioner and had "received" it now states its lost somewhere. So this is holding up the car from being mechanically complete. At this rate, I doubt the car will be ready by September for my wedding :(

·
Registered
1983 W123 280e
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Major Update

Expensive is an understatement here, but this is what has been done to date:

Timing chain ( Finally received and installed)
New Tensioner (installed)
Plugs
Air Filter
Oil Filter
Fuel Filter
Auto transmission Service - New filter - Drain as well as Torque Converter New seal
Replace power steering reservoir filter
Replace ATF on the above
Engine Oil Replacement
New Plug Leads (Brand new Bremmi, this costed a hefty sum)

Sump seal - Engine leaking on seal
Check Bearings - Front and back - To be asssessed
Bleed Brakes and replace Brake Fluid
Differential ( Dif) Oil 80W90 ( 2 x 500 ml )
New Windscreen
Fan alternator belt
Power steering belt
Airfilter housing top breather rubber broken
Airfilter housing bottom breather rubber broken
Set Handbrake
Brand new Radiator

Seats replaced with better condition seats, Door Panels will be getting some dye to match the seats
New Hazard switch

Still to do:
Top Shock Mounts
Tie rod ends
Control Arm bushes

Let's not even get into the cosmetic things, we haven't even gotten there. But the car has started and is mobile. A follow up compression test will take place this weekend. There after it's off to the body shop to get sandblasted and a new lick of paint

I have more pictures, I just need to get them off my phone.

Some pics for now.

Attachments

·
Registered
1983 W123 280e
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
And Another one

And while all the work was taking place. I found a very clean W123 280e in a much better condition, which was advertised then retracted by the owner. I had to beg him to sell it, and in my luck he accepted my offer.

Some details:
1983 W123 280e
M110 Engine
Blue Interior
Crackless Dashboard
Airconditioner
Wooden interior Trim
Electric Windows
221500 Original Km

This car drives like a dream, however it does have some age maintenance which will need to be done.

Plans:
Major preventative Engine maintenance (Cam Chain and Tensioner, along with lubricants etc)
Gearbox and Differential Service.
A good interior and exterior detail
Fix or replace the Antenna
Figure out why the Economy gauge does not work

I've already gotten it insured, so this won't be for sale. It will take someone with a stupidly high offer to take this off my hands

Here are some pics

Attachments

·
Registered
1983 W123 280e
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Spoiler Alert - oh well, alert me

Guy's I need a front spoiler, Preferably BBS or Zender. It's been discussed to death on this forum and its hen's teeth. But please let me know if you have one for sale, There is a guy I know in Thailand who has them available but neither him, nor I can arrange the shipping.

Help!!!

·
Registered
1983 W123 280e
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Aesthetic time

So back to the red 280e.

After a HUGE bill the car is running well and is good to go. We now at a stage closer to getting the car a bit more drive worthy. We sent it off to the panelbeater for a complete body alignment and blow over. It should be there for the next month or 2, taking into consideration that December is pretty much over and the shop will be closed. I guess it will be ready by around Mid February. Thereafter it will be all the small odds and ends which will be done by us. So a note to all the purists, this car will by no means be built to be original, we have 2 other mint condition 123's and this will be our toy to mess about, however keeping it simple and not over doing it.

We have sourced original 2 Piece AMG wheels that will be used here. We are still looking for lowering springs, the H&R kit is stupidly expensive here in South Africa so we are still on the lookout.

Things still to be done:

- Suspension
- Head & Tail Lights
- Dashboard repair
- Full free flow exhaust front to back
- Interior carpet
- New Windscreen
- Door rubbers

Some pics for clicks

Attachments

1 - 20 of 46 Posts