Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

My W123 200 is SO LOUD

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Medo98 
#1 ·
Hi,

have a 1981 Mercedes-Benz w123 200 that I used to ride with my Dad before he passed away. I got used to how loud it is through the years and thought it was like that because it's an old car and cars from its age can't compete with modern vehicles, etc.

Anyways, yesterday I rode with one of my Dad's old friends that also had a w123 200. And OH MY GOD that car was SO QUIET!

It doesn't vibrate, it doesn't have what seems to be some kind of low bass sound that my car produces even when idle. The car seems composed at 140km/h. Its so smooth I didn't believe I was riding the same ol' w123 of mine.

The thing that I know for sure is that something is very wrong with my own car chassis. You see, one time i took the car for a small run on the road and turned off the engine running at 60km/h, the car was still noisy inside the cabinet. Then I started the engine while the car is still running on the road; I could barely hear the engine starting, so I ruled out that it's not the engine that's causing the noise.

Also there's this one time we were rushing my dad to the hospital and we got hit in the rear by a Lada 2107. That moment the noise that the chassis produced was so loud that i thought the whole trunk got flattened to the rear windshield. I got out to inspect the damage; turns out it's a small 1 inch dent right under the tail light in the right corner of the car( I'm surprised that the tail light itself didn't even crack at all).

In the end I'm just asking: why is my car so loud inside the cabinet while every other car I try( even the old cars you guys probably never heard of like the FIAT 128) is so smooth and so soft and so quiet?

Seriously the car doesn't feel "safe" to ride or drive I feel all this tension when driving it even at low speed as if it's falling apart!

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

See less See more
#2 ·
Some easy-to-fix causes could be:
Perished or shrunken door seals
Doors may need adjustment

Some not-so-easy-to-fix causes may be:
Prop shaft balance
Worn engine and/or transmission mounts
Worn suspension components

Some really-hard-to-fix causes could be:
Sound dampening broke off of body panels
Body panels are rusted through, letting noise, water and other debris in.
Your friend's W123 may be a 1983 or later model, with better sound dampening than your 1981.

Note that "easy" doesn't necessarily mean "cheap".

#3 ·
Hi, PlaneCrazy. Thank you for your reply.

You know the mechanics where I live couldn't determine the cause for the noise.

It seems that there IS something to do with the chassis. Whenever I kick the floor of the car the whole cabinet vibrates and "echoes" noise.

Also my friend's w123 200 is of model make 1976 and also uses an older type of engine that is louder, slower and sips a considerable amount of fuel, compared to w123 200 cars that are made from 1980+ that use newer engine type.

Thanks again

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.