Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The vents on the left, and right side of the car do not stay centered, however the centre vents are alright.

When I try to re-position the two side vents, in the middle or to stay facing upward, they do not hold and fall back facing down again, the passenger one will not hold at all, while the driver vent will only hold position, whilst in the middle, only for a short period of time, until I hit a small bump or sometimes I will be sitting at a stop light and it will fall again. :surrender:

This is becoming a nuisance, especially now that it is getting colder, and I would rather the heat on my upper body, not my legs.

So, I would like to know is this repairable, or not?

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Probably are just worn out. Try getting a pair from the JY and see if that fixes it.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I noticed two small tabs on the base, below the vent itself.

I wonder if those have anything to do with it? Also, it appears the vent rubs against those tabs when I reposition them up/ down.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Quick fix :
Pull vents out , tape its with electrical tape both sides cut a small line at the center , snap back on and see the magic.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Silarrow: I will try that for now, then later on have it looked at, by my friend who does interiors.

Do I remove the vents by pulling them straight out?

Thank you everyone!

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
:nono::nono::nono: using long nose pliers and wrap with small rag pull it out both side evenly and gently ...treat your aging 190 nice...:D:D:D:D

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
I had this porblem and found that the surround for the vent itself had cracked. the pressure from the surround is the only thing holding the vent steady. take a look and I bet you have the same issue.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Fixed for now!

I ran out to the store and purchased some black electrical tape, put it on the side of the vents, and now they will hold.

I asked the friend who fixes vehicle interiors, and he said the same thing, just purchase new ones. So, a set of those will be on order soon, I also noticed several tabs had broken off, which allowed the air directors to move about inside the vent.

Thank you everyone.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Picture of my vent has been over a year now and electrical tape still do the job so well...no plan replace yet...lol.

·
Premium Member
2,354 Posts
This is the new set of vents for the 16v that went into the car in 2008. This set cost about $40 and will last ten years. A similar set went into the 8v.

The look is crisp and new and function is tight.

Attachments

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I would still ook for cracks. If the surround is broken a new vent insert will not fix the problem. jmho
I checked, and I did not see anything, I even cleaned inside and used a flash light to check, I could not find anything.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This is the new set of vents for the 16v that went into the car in 2008. This set cost about $40 and will last ten years. A similar set went into the 8v.

The look is crisp and new and function is tight.
I noticed when I removed them, the plastic was very brittle, and the tape would harldy stay on the sides, but I managed to get it. I was amazed I was able to slip them back in there with out them breaking.

$40 is quite inexpensive for a new set that will last a while.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I cut a small piece of fuzzy velcro material with the sticky backing and put it on the side of the opening in the bezel. Maybe 1/4 x 1/4 inch. Worked great.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I went to the dealer today and had an order put in for the new vents, the total came to $37 with tax included.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I received my vents today, and installed them. Very easy job, and I am happy with the results.

Thank you again lomtevas, I would have never thought just purchasing new vents would solve the issue.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts