Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2000 W202 Mercedes-Benz C250 Turbodiesel
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, guys!

I'm finished, finally! Well, it's probably been a month or so, on and off, that I've been kitting out my car (http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w123-e-ce-d-cd-td-te-class/1317430-take-look-mostly-complete-many-pics.html, http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w123-e-ce-d-cd-td-te-class/1317534-some-follow-up-pics.html).

I haven't installed the keyless entry's valet switch in all this time. Although I haven't had any problems with it yet, I realised today that if something were to happen with the remote control, like a flat battery perhaps, I'd be left stranded (I installed a starter kill relay as well, which only disarms with the remote). So, seeing that the entire system is installed on the passenger side, I decided to install the switch inside the glove compartment. I'm not too concerned that it's not hidden; I mean, if somebody wants to steal the car, no anti-theft device will work, right :rolleyes:? In any case, I don't think your typical thief would look for the switch in the cubbyhole ;) .

The trunk actuator was easier than I thought. I simply used the old vacuum element's rod and clipped it onto an extension to the new actuator. I didn't see any need to even fasten it, as it is gripped so tight that I doubt it will dislodge itself :thumbsup: . It works great, by the way. My trunk unlocks with the rest of the passenger doors. It was really frustrating to have to use the key every time I wanted to open the trunk (my vacuum central locking, when it worked, unlocked the trunk, but the system sprung a leak...).

I had to remove my subwoofer box to get access to the grommet where I had to pull the wire harness through, so I though I'd take a quick photo of my amps. This was REALLY easy. I simply took a side curtain wire (which I actually used throughout the entire installation) and fed it through the back until it popped out behind my rear seatback cushion. No need to remove the entire seat :thumbsup: .

So, at last my install is 99% complete. I still need to install rear window switches, and I still haven't installed the actuator for the fuel flap. But I can live without them, for now :D . In any case, I've run out of crimping lugs ;) .

Attachments

·
'89 300E Turbo project, ‘85 Audi Coupe Quattro, ‘71 BMW turbo 2002, '73 BMW 2002tii, ‘67 Kaiser M725
17,722 Posts
So you're feeding component speakers with those 2 and 4 channel Kenwood amps?

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
nutz4benz said:
So you're feeding component speakers with those 2 and 4 channel Kenwood amps?
Components in front, 6x9s in the back, playing off the 4-channel. Two 12" subs running off the mono-block amp.

I currently run both amps at their minimum gain setting (my headunit provides a 5 volt load). I experimented a bit, after I finished the trunk, by setting the 4-channel to provide a low pass filter frequency to the 6x9s in the back, gains still turned to its minimum, with no bass boost whatsoever. The result was incredible! Those 6x9s really deliver some bass :thumbsup: ! Now I'm wondering if it's worth it to carry a 2 cu. ft. box that probably weighs 40 kg around all the time :confused: .

Attachments

·
'89 300E Turbo project, ‘85 Audi Coupe Quattro, ‘71 BMW turbo 2002, '73 BMW 2002tii, ‘67 Kaiser M725
17,722 Posts
I say yeah seeing that the 6 X 9's low frequency response can't dip as low as the subs.

Friendly suggestion,your tweeters mounted on the A pillar need to face towards the cabin,crossfiring towards the opposite side rear each and placed at ear level unless you have DSO on your head unit.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for suggestion! I must say, after listening an hour or so to some music while driving, I agree. The bass quality just isn't that clean and tight like the subs are.

The headunit was the top model of the 2005 Kenwood line-up, with some pretty advanced controls. My front sound stage sounds very good from the driver's seat. I've received quite a few compliments so far for my system's sound quality. I actually don't like the in-your-face tss-tss that most tweeters deliver when faced towards you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts